IGNORED

Binary Maniak

Tommy R

Hey there,

I'm curious if anyone else here has purchased a Maniak from Binary Bicycles?  Mine arrived yesterday and I built it up and will be heading for a ride today.  For those unfamiliar, Steve who runs the youtube channel Hardtail Party partnered with Binary Bicycles in Arizona to build a custom-designed Ti hardtail frame to his specs.  Primary intention is a do-it-all hardtail with clearance for 29+ tires.  I love hardtails, but since I'm old I also love comfort. LOL  So a big-tire Ti hardtail sounded great to me!  I pre-ordered in early March and it just showed up and I can't wait to ride it!  

It's currently built with a 140mm Pike, 29x2.8 Rekons, and easily fit a 210mm dropper.  Size is large and I'm 6'.

IMG_0161-X2.jpg

• Like 7

Fantastic!  Can't wait to see it and hear your thoughts.  I hit Walnut Creek today for a shakedown ride and absolutely loved it!  I think I'll love it even more with a slightly shorter (130mm) fork.  So much fun and the ride quality was amazing....although I attribute some of that to the big balloon tires. LOL

IMG_0164-X2.jpg

IMG_0165-X2.jpg

• Like 7

• 5 weeks later...

I thought I'd share an update on the Maniak.  Turns out it's quite a bit slacker than expected.....by 1.5-2 degrees!  With a 140mm fork it was just a bit over 62 degrees. 😬  Last weekend I installed a +1 angle set and with a 130mm fork it was about 64 degrees.  The slight wandering and floopiness of the steering was pretty much all gone.  Better for sure, but still slacker than I'd prefer for this bike.  I now have a 2 degree angle set on order.  This should let me run my preferred 130-140mm fork while keeping the geo close to ~64.5 degrees.  I'll post up once I get it all installed.  

Barry, did you get yours built up?  Curious if you noticed something similar?

Also, here's a pic in single speed mode with a 130 fork, +1 angle set, and 29x2.8s.

i-dgQ6mSg-X2.jpg

• Like 1

Bike looks pretty freaking cool. Like the silver pike on it.

62*? That's as slack as my park bike and it's pretty floppy pedaling it to the lift line lol.

TBH, I'd be a little upset riding that in CTX and having to band aid it with a angleset. Even though it steepens the HTA, it also raises the BB, slacks the STA, and stretches the cockpit.

Thanks!  I'm certainly not pleased about it, but fortunately the geo wont be altered in my case (other than the HTA itself) because it came with an external lower headset that is about the same stack as the angle set.  Now with the 140 Pike on there it's sitting at 63.5*.  With the +2 angle set it should be right where I want it.  Now I just need to wait for the trails to dry out!  

• Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 10:39 AM, Tommy R said:

Barry, did you get yours built up?  Curious if you noticed something similar?

Hell yeah I got mine built up! I haven't done any actual measurements. But mine is a 140 fork with a 29x27.5 mullet 2.6" set up. My calculations based on reported gelomenty is 63.7* HTA. But then my 5010 has a 65.8* HTA and my freakin' gravel bike as a 66.6* HTA. So 63.7 isn't a huge reach for me. Irrespective of whether I'm way off on my calculations, I don't have any flop issues, but perhaps I'm just used to that.  And this bike corners like I like to corner. I've been loving it and currently have about 230 miles on the thing with no significant complaints, other than they shipped me a seized saddle post collar. Well that and the damned dropper cable routing!

image.thumb.png.834ebd4b04407ec92bffce3e902b4299.png

image.thumb.png.893228ea4de99b4ce8932d387d85a374.png

It's too bad that you're having problems with it. Hopefully the angle sets get you sorted.  

Edited by Barry
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot, guys.  Rain AND an ice storm. 

For some reason, I automatically default to mentally pronouncing it as Man (wild and crazy guy!) - i-ak and not māniac ("a person exhibiting extreme symptoms of wild behavior").  Just watched the first few minutes of a Maniak unboxing video.  It's the latter. 

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...