IGNORED

Knee Pads?

quixoft

I'm really good at banging the inside of my knees on my frame when I'm moving the bike around underneath me on more technical trails like 1/4 Notch and DD at Brushy.

Any recommendations for soft and comfortable knee pads that will help and not slip off? Don't want full shins or hard plate. 

Edited by quixoft

Sorry, can't help as I don't wear them. And I have had multiple knee surgeries in my youth so you would think I would. Just have never fell and hurt my knees.

But I hurt my elbows twice before I decided to start wearing armored elbow pads. They have "saved me" maybe four times now. Worth whatever discomfort they cause. A side benefit was protection from branches. I feel them getting scrapped a lot.

A friend wears the Fox Knee/Shin guards and likes them. They Velcro on for easy removal. For just knee protection, you might find something at Lowes or Home Depot that construction workers use.

Many of the MTB specific knee pads are slip on, so, if getting them off without having to remove your shoes is a consideration, look for something with straps.

Like @The Tip, both my knees have surgical scars, yet my shins are what I've always had to protect. Even when building trail I wear shin guards under long pants. For the shins, I've found products from martial arts and weight lifting on Amazon that are good value and easy on/off.

A company called G-Form makes some lightweight slip-on products that have been priced okay, but have the hassle factor of shoe removal to get out of. They do offer Knee protection products.

Sometimes I bump my knee on controls on the handlebars when negotiating tight trail, so I'll keep watching this thread to see what folks come up with. I'm open to finding something that is reasonably priced, easy on/off, and light weight (minimal padding).

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

Not as lightweight/thing as the g-form but ... i think ... just a bit more protective?

I got them for the combination of paranoid protection of knees for some trails, and for winter riding when I wanted a bit of added structure and warmth around my knees as my port-side has become quite grumpy when cold since I almost destroyed it single-speeding in the VT mountains a number of years ago (and, well, age, I guess).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XVPFBGY

I've done a number of rides beyond 20 miles with them without issue, some beyond 30.

No signs of wear yet, but I've only had them for 4 months.

1 hour ago, Bart said:

Amazingly after nearly 40 yrs of mtb'ing and I can't remember banging or scraping a knee ever, especially after bombing down Forest Ridge on alum hardtails with Vbrakes! I always thought we needed shoulder pads.

your bike must have fit better ... i used to get seatstay wear on my inner knees from the bounce-around. wet/grimy rides sometimes were most "exfoliating."

• 2 weeks later...