IGNORED

Blew up my light's battery pack, best replacement?

I have a Gloworm X2 light that has been running great for ~5-6 years now. It gets very light use, once a week, at the R&I, for about 1 hour at the most. It's been fine, I can usually get a couple rides out of it before it dies on me.

About 3 years ago the battery case was damaged in a crash. Lost the battery life indicator, but I was able to put it back together and hot glue it all in place. Then, ~2 years ago, it died and I was able to revive it with a soldering iron, but I was pretty sure that this was it. This morning, it would not work, charged it a bit, no dice. Pulled out a multimeter to check and see if there was any charge. Apparently there was some charge because there was a "buzz" and the smell of burnt wires. So, it's going to battery heaven.

This is the battery: https://www.action-led-lights.com/collections/batteries/products/gloworm-6800mah-hi-capacity-4-cell-battery-pack

The light *should* be a 7.4v light and I think the max lumens are 1700W. Jenson has a full set for about the cost of that battery (~$150.)

Was wondering if this would work: https://www.amazon.com/Stupidbright-Rechargeable-Bicycle-Battery-Replacement/dp/B00PE6TVCI/ref=sr_1_9

The connector seems to be the same as the Gloworm, I am guessing they are all fairly standard at this point.

Or does anyone else have a better suggestion. 

Look at the top review.  The person measured current draw and at 2.2A only got 40 minutes (1452mAh, not even 1/4 of advertised).  The batteries are crap and/or the charge management circuit is not setup right.  Either way, I'd walk away from this one.

Edited by AntonioGG

People that design helmet lights must not ride mountain bikes. Or maybe they only ride in the desert where there are no trees. 

How many times have all of us scraped the top of our helmet on a limb? Probably happens even more at night because you can't perfectly see the trees in the dark.

That's why I zip tied NiteRider handlebar mounts next to my ears and hang lights there. I have yet to snapped my neck back from catching a branch with a top mounted light!

9 minutes ago, The Tip said:

People that design helmet lights must not ride mountain bikes. Or maybe they only ride in the desert where there are no trees. 

How many times have all of us scraped the top of our helmet on a limb? Probably happens even more at night because you can't perfectly see the trees in the dark.

That's why I zip tied NiteRider handlebar mounts next to my ears and hang lights there. I have yet to snapped my neck back from catching a branch with a top mounted light!

I put my ay-up forward so it's not at the highest point in the helmet.  It's also a fairly low-profile light which helps.  I do like the idea of dual lights on either side of the helmet.  How do you aim them?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

How do you aim them?

Forward usually.

I keed I keed!

The NiteRider mounts have swivels so they can adjust left and right. Also the zip tie connections are such that I can slightly move them up and down when aiming the lights

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2023 at 10:57 AM, AntonioGG said:

Look at the top review.  The person measured current draw and at 2.2A only got 40 minutes (1452mAh, not even 1/4 of advertised).  The batteries are crap and/or the charge management circuit is not setup right.  Either way, I'd walk away from this one.

Your comment came in after I ordered, fast shipping and free returns, I figured, why not. It worked, marginally, but ultimately returned it. Not 100% sure that it was the battery or the lights.

Ordered a replacement set of Gloworm lights from Jenson. We'll see when that comes in if the "real" battery works or if the lights still have an issue. If the lights work, I'll have a spare set as a backup.

• Like 1