IGNORED

Locktite on a Cassette Ring?

I have been having issues with a cassette that keeps coming loose on my FS bike. Yesterday I had to do several mid-ride adjustments before I could get back to the car where I had a lock ring tool.

Is it advisable to use locktite? The free hub is a Chris King steel (not aluminum) and the cassette is a Sun Race 11T-42T.

Loctite makes a lot of products. The light blue 242 product should do it without being dangerously difficult to remove.

However, all lock rings should stay secure when properly tightened. Use a torque wrench. If it still comes loose, there may be something else going on. Is the cassette missing a spacer?

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

Loctite makes a lot of products. The light blue 242 product should do it without being dangerously difficult to remove.

However, all lock rings should stay secure when properly tightened. Use a torque wrench. If it still comes loose, there may be something else going on. Is the cassette missing a spacer?

Thank you.

7 hours ago, Anita Handle said:

Ok newb, come back when you've torqued it to 40Nm. It's more than you think.

This. Most cassette lock rings have a knurled interface that should never come bloomed so if it's properly tightened and it comes loose something is wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

It was a pretty new cassette, less than 6 months old, but a cheap brand (Sun Race).

I'm going to buy two 11 x 42 cassettes so been researching reviews on Sunrace and can't say I've come across this particular problem. But they do have two different models, the CSMS3, which is the cheaper one and has poor reviews about quick wear, and then the CSMX3, which has very good reviews.

45 minutes ago, Huskychuck said:

Are you using the Chris King lock Ring? If I’m not mistaken it’s a proprietary item with its own thread pitch different than Shimano/Sunrace

The SS hub has a proprietary design though also works with the standard style lock ring. The normal geared hub works with standard lockrings, though king does sell their own too. My guess is the cassette slid on and you tightened it less than design torque and the cassette and spacers compressed in with time, narrowing the whole assembly. Certainly possible if portions of the cassette are pinned together.

Just reassemble and torque it, it'll be fine. 

56 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

The SS hub has a proprietary design though also works with the standard style lock ring. The normal geared hub works with standard lockrings, though king does sell their own too. My guess is the cassette slid on and you tightened it less than design torque and the cassette and spacers compressed in with time, narrowing the whole assembly. Certainly possible if portions of the cassette are pinned together.

Just reassemble and torque it, it'll be fine. 

This has been an ongoing issue. Started last fall. Cranked it down on a road trip. Then again in December. Then January. Now this month. Not a one time occurrence, there is a pattern here.