IGNORED

Snow MTB racing tips needed

Its just like riding sand - only slicker.

Keep your weight back. Until you want to turn - then weight centered. NEVER weight forward like you would do on snow skis / snowboard.

Keep the bike vertical and make very small turns with the front wheel. Once a turn starts it will get tighter and tighter unless you stop it. So about the time you get a turn started you need to be counteracting that turn. You can actually see some of this in the video as riders going roughly straight kind of look like they have a speed wobble going.

If you have a berm is about the only time you can lean the bike.

Braking???? You can try but don't expect much. Think about whipping the back of the bike around like a hockey stop on skis. Then slide the bike sideways to actually slow down.

All of this may be wrong if you have a snow bike with the 5 inch wide soft tires. This is what I found riding a normal MTB on snow.

• 2 weeks later...

Rode the pre-ride on Friday after the lifts closed with my rad 12yo. She was doing great, but we had a 4” powder day and she OTB’d on a pretty steep pitch. Snowmobile with a sled took her and her bike down (she rode on the snowmobile and her bike rode down on the sled). I finished my ride with her on my mind. She whopped her head enough for a headache, but zero concussion signs and she’s fine. Saturday was race day and she was all for it, but her little sister (10yo) popped out of a ski on Eagle Glade (Black with moguls) and landed her bare boot funny. We gingerly skied down to the base (it was late in the day), and my dad brain took over from my dude brain and we bowed out of the actual race. Seeing one kid carted off the mountain and the other one limping made my decision. I hate that I broke my own rule of “never back down from a bad idea,” but my protective dad side won the day. After ice and Tylenol, both kids are fine and back in school today. Thanks for following my antics. 

5A01971C-4EFF-4DF1-98B4-7E6E1EAA92AF.jpeg

F18E6F86-83DB-4DE9-9E02-C1348A8F27BC.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spicewookie said:

Begrudgingly, I'll take the title of Good Dad over Snow Bike Shredder.

After lookitg it up in the TMW rulebook there is a Good Dad clause that not only offsets the performance penalty, it adds bacon.

With this clarification, your bacon rations should only be affected in a positive way.

🥓🥓🥓

• Thanks 1