spicewookie

Snow MTB racing tips needed

I'll just happen to be in Angel Fire on 3/24 and might have just registered for this:

Anyone have any tips?  I'd like it to go like this:

Posted (edited)

The trick to the helicopter drop is to not jump too high when exiting. Just jump down. 

It seems it also helps to have a silly name. 

Edited by Barry
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, olddbrider said:

Do you still have that shiny, red jumpsuit from a few years back?  Couldn't hurt...

Red and blue speed skating skin suit?  Yes, yes I do.  Or as my kids like to call it, my "Super Suit."

12 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

Your naturally low center of gravity should offer you some sort of an advantage.

+ dropper post, biatches!

Definitely duck before you exit the chopper.  Also, find a good way to tell the ground crew to ensure it has enough fuel....there must be a good saying for this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Its just like riding sand - only slicker.

Keep your weight back. Until you want to turn - then weight centered. NEVER weight forward like you would do on snow skis / snowboard.

Keep the bike vertical and make very small turns with the front wheel. Once a turn starts it will get tighter and tighter unless you stop it. So about the time you get a turn started you need to be counteracting that turn. You can actually see some of this in the video as riders going roughly straight kind of look like they have a speed wobble going.

If you have a berm is about the only time you can lean the bike.

Braking???? You can try but don't expect much. Think about whipping the back of the bike around like a hockey stop on skis. Then slide the bike sideways to actually slow down.

All of this may be wrong if you have a snow bike with the 5 inch wide soft tires. This is what I found riding a normal MTB on snow.

Real tips!  I’ll be on the Banshee, maybe with 26+ tires (2.5 rear and 2.8 front). It’s all DH, so I don’t even know if fat tires will be an advantage. Maybe my 27.5 x 2.35s would cut into the snow better?

Posted (edited)

Dress real warm, the extra padding will help when you fall. Think "Michelin Man" or Stay-Puft parade float.

Edited by Ridenfool

bike is dialed for the race (thanks, Canyon Cycles!), but with 27.5" x 2.35" DHRs.  Got a new shifter cable because BLUE feruls and caps!  It is on like neckbone.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, fontarin said:

Borrow a Go-Pro if you don't have one so you can record it and post it here.

Just hold your cell phone in one hand to video your ride. 🚲

Edited by Ridenfool

I bought a highly-rated GoPro knockoff from Amazon.  I tested it at work this week and was really surprised at the quality and ease of use.