IGNORED

Kid friendly green trails

Lacch

I have a 4 and 6yr old who have both started to show interest in "trail" riding. They've got capable bikes and gear, but I'm running out of places to take them.

We live up N and they ride the flat/wide greens at Walnut (point six, inner log loop, various connector trails, etc ) They also love riding many of the hike/bike trails at some of the Texas state parks.

Are there other local Austin trails that I can take them to? I'm going to explore the S. Austin trail network in the next few weeks, but I've never been down that way so it'll be completely new to me.

SATN if you know what trails to avoid. There's some chunk mixed in there for sure, but not much elevation.

Muleshoe Bend is mostly green.

There's a few green routes in Reimers Ranch but it might not be worth the long drive.

Slaughter Creek Trail, with the only entrance on 1826 is beginner-friendly with a few character-building rock gardens thrown in. It's a relatively short, one-way loop with a bonus spur. Impossible to get lost and easy to gauge your progress to see how skillfully you tackle the obstacles that are there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Peddlers!  It was my kids' favorite when they used to ride.

+1 My 9yo has been riding it for 2-3 years now and loves it, My 6yo is still warming up to it...

3 hours ago, Lacch said:

They've got capable bikes

I will say, a capable bike is a good idea. My oldest didn't really start to ask to go on rides with me until she got her 24" wheeled bike with front fork and gears. Her old 20" was pretty bumpy, even on peddlers. Gearing down the single speed helped a lot so did running really low tire pressure. 

5 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

Slaughter Creek Trail, with the only entrance on 1826 is beginner-friendly with a few character-building rock gardens thrown in. It's a relatively short, one-way loop with a bonus spur. Impossible to get lost and easy to gauge your progress to see how skillfully you tackle the obstacles that are there.

X2 

Definitely recommend this one for kids or new riders 

Maxwell Slaughter Creek is NOT beginner friendly. It USED to be, but now it has eroded to be a definite blue trail. My wife, who is not a beginner, but still not very accomplished, wanted to ride there. I went to pre-ride it to specifically count how many spots I thought that she would have to get off and walk. I counted 18 spots. When I went with her she ended up walking 17 times. And it's only five miles. That means getting off the bike every 1/3 of a mile. So NOT beginner friendly.

The one appeal to a beginner at Maxwell is that it is a no decision trail. You can't get lost and no one is going to run into you.

What is beginner friendly though is Onion Creek Park. Over ten miles of trail.  There's not much elevation changes, hardly any rocks, and it's very pretty and wilderness-y. It's a great introduction to get someone excited about mountain biking.

Edited by The Tip
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, The Tip said:

What is beginner friendly though is Onion Creek Park. Over ten miles of trail.  There's not much elevation changes, hardly any rocks, and it's very pretty and wilderness-y. It's a great introduction to get someone excited about mountain biking.

I concur, MSCT is not as easy as I remember it from my first few visits. It might be a good intro for a very ambitious and athletic rider who is starting out, but might be too frustrating for kids and less ambitious riders.

Onion Creek trail will teach you—one way or another—to respect horses. Equestrian travel if permitted on Slaughter as well, but I've see a lot more horses on Onion.

Anyone have feedback on the riding at McKinney Falls?

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

Awesome, thanks! Lots of good stuff here.

I think they'd be able to handle parts of Peddlers just fine, but there are a handful of sections where they don't yet have the skills. The "pump track" part near the end would be perfect for them. Can I get them in/out of that section and skip the rocky parts? Also same with Picnic, some of those sections are super chill, if i can skip right to them.

I think I know the answer, but... Is it frowned upon to 'off-road' your way in/out of a trail section? Are there any sanctioned shortcuts for Peddlers?

I need to ride Suburban Ninja again... I did it once in the heat of summer and the sun made it a miserable experience. It's more of a hiking trail, right? or maybe I just need to explore it more.

I'll start checking out the others on this list. Onion Creek sounds perfect! Which trailhead should we use?

Edited by Lacch

46 minutes ago, Lacch said:

I need to ride Suburban Ninja again... I did it once in the heat of summer and the sun made it a miserable experience. It's more of a hiking trail, right? or maybe I just need to explore it more.

SN is a great XC system with a few features to keep it interesting. I've been hesitant to bring my 9yo because it's a pretty large area and her stamina is still low, otherwise with a few walkable parts it's fairly beginner friendly, as long as you don't get lost. 

1 hour ago, RedRider3141 said:

I've been hesitant to bring my 9yo because it's a pretty large area and her stamina is still low

right. that's a great point.

That's one of the reasons I love taking them to Walnut, we're never more than 10min from the parking lot.

The Travis Country pumptrack might be a good option. You're never more than a 60-second ride back to your car if you park near it.

Screenshot_20230124-100238.thumb.png.5918dd3e66a7e6525472f08fe80e0191.png

On that note, the Mueller concrete pumptrack is generally mellow and they built a tiny, even mellower pumptrack area for beginners.

Gaylord Sackler Memorial Skate Park

https://maps.app.goo.gl/P2qbu7DrGGWUbNht77

Not dirt, but still fun! The Mueller neighborhood has miles of gravel paths with sculptures and gardens to explore, and you can stop for ice cream along the way.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lacch said:

That's one of the reasons I love taking them to Walnut, we're never more than 10min from the parking lot.

Peddlers is like that too. I like to night ride it in the summer because if I ever have an issue just head south and you'll hit the parking lot. 

4 hours ago, Lacch said:

I think they'd be able to handle parts of Peddlers just fine, but there are a handful of sections where they don't yet have the skills. The "pump track" part near the end would be perfect for them. Can I get them in/out of that section and skip the rocky parts? Also same with Picnic, some of those sections are super chill, if i can skip right to them.

The Pump Track section or the "Roller Coaster part" as my kids call it can be easily accessed and repeated without doing the whole trail again. If you go from the BCRT (paved main trail) to the Parmer cross over section, from under the north bound Parmer bridge you can get right into it. Then you can exit a few different sections easily and rinse and repeat. It's really only the middle 1/3 of the trail. The next step up would be doing the entire East Side.

image.thumb.png.eb1bca9c3d694903611a4c804e644a97.png

image.thumb.png.e0718dc9e3d8be3e05a5568aba2059bc.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lacch said:

Onion Creek sounds perfect! Which trailhead should we use?

There's a large parking lot off of Nuckols Crossing Rd. Just head west from there. Have a trail map app pulled up so you can get back when needed. The park is very spaghetti bowl-ish. 

• Like 1

I add to mack_turtle's post about pump tracks for kids.  My kid always has a great time at the Mueller pump track.   Only problem is that it can get pretty busy, especially with the smaller kid there for the first time (crashing often).  Here is a video of my kid having fun that I uploaded to the google review site:

https://goo.gl/maps/ciU2JJe39bEmVYsR6

There is a new asphalt bike pumptrack in the Sonterra neighborhood in Jarrell (20 minute drive from Round Rock).  I haven't had a chance to visit it yet, but plan to soon.  It is located here:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/30°48'34.3"N+97°36'14.5"W/@30.809527,-97.6047528,298m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x1b1e1de9641a0b5e!7e2!8m2!3d30.8095267!4d-97.604016

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with Wilco or San Gabriel park, I'll check them both out, thanks! Are there any trails/areas in particular I should check out?

I rode the Peddlers "pump track" section on Friday to see if it would work for my kids. Unfortunately my 4yr old on 16s would struggle too much to make it fun. I think the advice to stay on concrete or asphalt pump tracks is the way to go.

Give Katy Crossing a try. It’s on the east side of San Gabriel park. Very easy two mile loop. Take my young daughter there often and see lots of other kids out there. Even on push bikes. 

Wilco Park is just north of 1431 bw 35 and Parmer.  Lots of mellow options there too. 

• Like 1

My kids are 7 and they both like the green trail at Reimers. I think I first took them there just before they turned 6 and they did fine. There are a couple of rocky spots in the first few minutes  but it is mainly smooth. There’s not much shade though so we don’t go in the summer.

They also ride on SATN quite often, usually starting at the Walgreens next to Bowie high school (5011 W Slaughter Ln).