IGNORED

Backpack to lumbar pack

larlev

I got a Dakine as well.  I hated the bladder.  super-thin material, and I couldn't get the bite valve to work comfortably.  swapped out the bladder for a Camelbak one of about the same size.  I apparently also hate the new Camelbak bite valves, but fortunately had an extra old school one laying around.  Frankenbladder.
my only remaining complaint is condensation if I put ice in it.  don't have that problem with my Blowfish backpack.  but I guess if I'm just doing 'hot laps', I don't need ice water.   I'll just get one of my groupies on the tour bus to fix me a frosty beverage between laps.
Curious why a thin bladder is an issue?
Yea the valve is same as Ospreys and at first it was odd compared to CB style.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, TheX said:

I have to admit, not having a backpack on was nice. I only did about 10 miles with the Dakine but it works well.

I liked having no backpack as well, there was much more airflow.  It did remind me of how fat I am though with that thing accentuating my belly.  

I reached the paralysis by analysis phase. Each seemed to have some strengths with one a glaring weakness. After realizing that it's just a facking funnypack, I pulled the trigger on the Dakine 5L. That seems to be the crowd favorite. 

My main motivation for ditching the backpack style pack is that I think it may help with the shoulder pain and hand numbness I get. 

I just got my fanny pack in the mail and started transferring stuff. Holy shit am I a pack rat! I'm going to have some decisions to make. Is it more likely that I'll need to close a large wound or take a trail dump? How many types of goos, bars, and tablets are needed on a 2 hour ride? I've carried a Leatherman for years and have used it once or twice. However, one of those times was literally the last time I rode. I just now remembered that my phone and keys are supposed to go in there too!

I don't have to carry much in my Dakine pack:

One water bottle in the stretchy sleeve

ID and a credit card

One or two snacks

Spare 29" tube, rolled up

CO2 and Genuine Innovations head

Muli-tool and some chain links

Tire lever, bacons and poker taped to it

Phone

Plastic zip bag with some TP and adhesive bandages

Radial patch

Lezyne pump and larger water bottle on my frame.

Baggie shorts with pockets if I need anything else.

Not sure what else you need.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The nice thing about Christmas shopping at REI is when you run into something and go, "Whoa, XMas present for MOI!"

REI has the Co-Op Trail 5 Waistpack  on sale for $22 (original price $44.95).  They are available on line, but I found mine in the downtown REI.   I like that it has light padding on the back, but isn't structured.  I tried an Ospey pack but had to return it; it was structured enough the it wouldn't conform to my lower back. 

Inside the main compartment are two flat pockets, and a net zippered pocket on the inside of the lid.  There is a long zippered pocket on the back (good for folded up maps or other flat stuff) and a small front zip pocket that would be just right for a cell phone, even a largish one.  There are also two straps on the bottom that could early hold a light jacket. You can attach stuff on the front with straps or little carabiners.  There are stretchy pockets on each side which might hold a very small diameter water bottle or snacks. 

It's just right-ish, and also has room to add more little pouches onto the waistbelt, if one could find such things. 

• 2 years later...
On 10/2/2019 at 12:00 PM, bestbike85 said:

I run the Osprey Savu with 2 bottles. Small 10oz bottles for short rides, and larger 20oz bottles for longer rides. Can also pull the bottles out and tuck in the bottle holders for a standard hip pack. No complaints here. Think I caught it on sale on Amazon for $39.95. Great bargain at that price. 

@bestbike85 Are you still using the Savu?

• Is it easy to take out and put back in bottles while riding?
  • Do the bottles stay put over rough terrain, even without the little bungy cord securing them?
  • If you are still using it, how has it held up over 3 years?

I have a proclivity towards Ospery products and have been thinking about getting a second hip pack without a hydration bladder built in.

14 hours ago, WLemke said:

@bestbike85 Are you still using the Savu?

• Is it easy to take out and put back in bottles while riding?
  • Do the bottles stay put over rough terrain, even without the little bungy cord securing them?
  • If you are still using it, how has it held up over 3 years?

I have a proclivity towards Ospery products and have been thinking about getting a second hip pack without a hydration bladder built in.

I still have it, but not using it much. My riding has been exclusively on the Fargo through 2022, which I have ton of water capacity on and don't require this. However, I still feel qualified to answer your questions because I used this 04/2019-12/2021.

Yes, they are easy to take in and out while riding. This is subjective, because taking them in and out on 1/4 notch is different than taking them in and out crossing through Walsh Trail to get to SN. I wouldn't do it on 1/4 notch. 

I would say yes, they stay in place well over rough terrain. I had no issues, and would leave the bungy cords with slack in them. 

I used it very consistent for 2.5+ years or so, like weekly, big trips to Moab and Sedona, multiple sections of the Colorado Trail, and everything I rode in Texas during that time. It's held up great, but it does tend to smell terrible as you can expect, so wash it monthly or so. Washing it also cleans the zippers, as your sweat and salt can make those harder to zip. 

Overall I still think it's better than a backpack and would buy it again tomorrow if I needed to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bestbike85 said:

I still have it, but not using it much. My riding has been exclusively on the Fargo through 2022, which I have ton of water capacity on and don't require this. However, I still feel qualified to answer your questions because I used this 04/2019-12/2021.

Yes, they are easy to take in and out while riding. This is subjective, because taking them in and out on 1/4 notch is different than taking them in and out crossing through Walsh Trail to get to SN. I wouldn't do it on 1/4 notch. 

I would say yes, they stay in place well over rough terrain. I had no issues, and would leave the bungy cords with slack in them. 

I used it very consistent for 2.5+ years or so, like weekly, big trips to Moab and Sedona, multiple sections of the Colorado Trail, and everything I rode in Texas during that time. It's held up great, but it does tend to smell terrible as you can expect, so wash it monthly or so. Washing it also cleans the zippers, as your sweat and salt can make those harder to zip. 

Overall I still think it's better than a backpack and would buy it again tomorrow if I needed to. 

I second what bestbike said. I've been using the Savu 5 since April. I still have my Camelback for those rare occasions where I do a really long ride. I typically use the bungy straps to hold bottles in place, but I'm typically drinking from the bottle in my frame. Once I empty that, I pull one from the pack and swap it with the empty bottle on my frame. I can't really comment on how easy it is (or isn't) to drink from a bottle in the pack while riding because that's not how I use it.

• Like 1

I pulled my Osprey Seral out last week to hike in CO.  I still have my same main issue and frankly using it hiking was better than biking.

1. The magnet that holds the hose to the pack is absolute garbage.  I should really just put rare earth magnets on there or some other solution.
  2. The pack while biking constantly needed to be retightened.  I didnt have as much of a problem hiking last week.

I wont try it again until I fix the hose issue.

• Like 1

I've just written to them for a longer hose for my Seral, with the idea of tucking the extra into the belt to help prevent jostling the magnet attachment.

I've had it for a while and haven't been using it for the same reason. It comes loose too easily. It would be nice to have while building trail if I can figure a way to keep from dangling the hose all the time.

Edit: It occurred to me that one of those retractable lanyards for a security badge might be adapted to reel in the loose end when stored.

Edited by Ridenfool