IGNORED

DIY tubeless tire inserts

I've found a few interesting threads on other forums but very few long-term reviews. Anyone trying a DIY version of Cush Core, Huck Norris, etc? I like the idea since I have a hard time finding a tire pressure that works on local terrain. $150+ for two peices of foam seems ridiculous though.

I am trying to find a local source for dense closed-cell foam that will be long enough to work but cheap enough for an experiment that will likely fail. I came up empty at Home Depot and Lowe's.

I haven't seen a decent DIY version. Mostly I'd  be afraid it would absorb sealant 

I run Huck Norris and it was $60 for the pair from Jenson. The description is confusing and makes it look like you need 2, but they come as a pair. And the packaging doubles as a silly plastic fender. The reason I chose HN was weight and ease of set up.

So far I'm really liking them. During the Sidewinder portion of the DM, I noticed that my rear tire had gotten quite low. I wanted to keep going, so I long fought the urge to add air.  Well I ended up taking a few really decent square edge hits before deciding to give up and add air. But no snakebites and no rim dings. 

And here is that silly fender on my monstertour:

20190315_180923.jpg

• Like 1

I have used Huck Norris for 2 years. I love them. They are lightweight. Easy to install. Easy to shove in pack if you have a major issue with tire and need to tube. I dropped 5 psi in my rear tire and my cornering improved. I raced several seasons of enduros and could feel the moments that the tire at the reduced psi would hit to rim.... It never pinched my tire like it would always have done without them. Lots of people I know love the cush core. But install is a pita and if you have a major tire issue on trail and you need to tube, packing the cush core out is tough because it is so bulky. See pic for example.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

480d2c18805aa9b2d7ed3e2c2bb4d6ab.jpg

• Like 1

I relaced a wheel for a friend that had Cush core in it. What a PIA the Cush core is when trying to get the tire centered on the wheel. Tire had a massive wobble with the Cush core. The Cush core would be a giant headache if you need to service your tire on the trail. Not for me.

• Like 1