IGNORED

Peddlers Pass Lap Times

I’m practicing for the Full Gas On Peddlers Pass event. Let’s compare times!

Start and end from the entrance with all the signage -- see attached image

20:33 for me

I can do better. I’ll keep practicing and sharing my time.

IMG_0852.jpg

Edited by tomreece
  • Like 6

Nice time. The key to going fast on Peddlers is the cornering. On the bermed turns, you should not be hitting the brakes, lean that bike over and trust the berm. Try lifting your outside elbow up when turning and making sure your leaning the bike over enough for the big lugs on the outside of your tire to dig into the dirt. Tire selection and pressure are also a big factor on Peddlers. If you're using a big knobby tire you're going to go slow. A good tire combo is Maxxis Ardent Race in the front and Maxxis Ikon in the rear, fairly low pressure.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, tomreece said:

I’m practicing for the Full Gas On Peddlers Pass event. Let’s compare times!

Start and end from the entrance with all the signage -- see attached image

20:33 for me

I can do better. I’ll keep practicing and sharing my time.

I'm just starting to practice as well. If you want a digital competitor whose times will make you feel good find me on Strava. https://www.strava.com/athletes/redrider3141

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

Everyone should be prepared to have their lap times destroyed by the tandem teams....assuming they don’t get wedged between two trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twice as many riders should go twice as fast, right?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, First-Blood said:

It's the new way since reroutes were made to help accommodate the race and not have a cross over line at Parmer

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So with these reroutes, does that mean I will forever be the fastest old geezer (55-64) on the old Peddlers Pass 2.0 - 2 Laps segment? Fortunately Julio Sanchez (whoever that may be) never got a chance to ride it, as he seems to pretty much own every other old geezer record across Brushy.  

• Like 4

14 hours ago, throet said:

So with these reroutes, does that mean I will forever be the fastest old geezer (55-64) on the old Peddlers Pass 2.0 - 2 Laps segment? Fortunately Julio Sanchez (whoever that may be) never got a chance to ride it, as he seems to pretty much own every other old geezer record across Brushy.  

Yes

• Like 1

I am glad to see you guys out riding and practicing.  It's an amazing course with somewhere around 160 corners that require some amount of negotiating.   The current timing record is 15:04 in very dry conditions.  I expect that if we get some rain this weekend, that record will fall by middle of next week.

Ronan makes a good point though about registering early.  400 available slots may sound like a lot, but remember TMBRA races often come close to or occasionally exceed 700 racers.  This time trial, which appeals to a broader base, will sell out, so please register soon.

On 3/20/2019 at 1:02 PM, HoneyBadger said:

Nice time. The key to going fast on Peddlers is the cornering. On the bermed turns, you should not be hitting the brakes, lean that bike over and trust the berm. Try lifting your outside elbow up when turning and making sure your leaning the bike over enough for the big lugs on the outside of your tire to dig into the dirt. Tire selection and pressure are also a big factor on Peddlers. If you're using a big knobby tire you're going to go slow. A good tire combo is Maxxis Ardent Race in the front and Maxxis Ikon in the rear, fairly low pressure.

The current record of 15:04 is held by a local non-racer on an Intense Carbine 29r Factory rolling a Teravail Kennebec 2.6 at 13 psi front and a Maxxis Ikon 2.6 at 15 psi rear. 

A second behind at 15:05 is a very fit/skilled pro XC horse-jockey on a top-end Trek Fuel 9.9 with Maxxis Ardent Race 2.2s front and rear both at 20 psi - a bike set up for climbing and overall XC hammering. 

Right behind them at 15:18 is a Chumba Stella single speed on 32:20 with Maxxis Rekon 2.6s at sub 20 psi ridden by another local non-racer. 

Tires and tire pressure are very important as this demonstrates - perhaps the most important thing in choice of equipment. Knobs on the front for cornering and a fast roller in the back for speed are a good recipe.

Had the pro rider had either a heavier knob tire in the front or a less knobbed in the back, his cornering bias would have been better balanced and he'd have been faster.  Ronan's advice is sound.  As it was this go around, the rear would stick but the front would wash out unless he spent extra effort moving around on the bike to load the fork at which point, he could not stay on power. 

Edited by DesertNomad
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

Better than I thought I would do, although I know I couldn't keep that up for 3 laps. I had to take 2 decent breathers/ water breaks as it is. I would say my lap time would definately be in the 13-14 range had the course not been partial reversed! 😉 

image.thumb.png.2ce4f7cce6a530be59739b2fc7f6a06f.png

You will have plenty of time between laps to rest and recover

Just now, RedRider3141 said:

My Mistake, is it not 3 continuous laps?

heck no - OUCH! That would be painful! 

It is three individual laps - sort of like an Enduro race - where you get some rest in between efforts.  15-20 minutes of max-heart rate per lap with a solid 30 minute cool down between each.  Drinking a beer between each is optional.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DesertNomad said:

heck no - OUCH! That would be painful! 

It is three individual laps - sort of like an Enduro race - where you get some rest in between efforts.  15-20 minutes of max-heart rate per lap with a solid 30 minute cool down between each.  Drinking a beer between each is optional.

That sounds much more enjoyable!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

Better than I thought I would do, although I know I couldn't keep that up for 3 laps. I had to take 2 decent breathers/ water breaks as it is. I would say my lap time would definately be in the 13-14 range had the course not been partial reversed! 😉 

image.thumb.png.2ce4f7cce6a530be59739b2fc7f6a06f.png

I'll bask in the glory of showing up in the top 10 while it lasts.....since I'm right at the 10 mark.  I'll have to admit I was trying to feel out the east side direction change on that 24 minute lap, but I was able to set a PR on the west side that day.  Certainly not close to the pace of Todd and Ronan, but I'm happy with my progress.  

I've registered and I'm ready to go.  I won't be winning any prizes, but I'm sure looking forward to the entire experience.  

Scott

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Skyyhorn said:

I'll bask in the glory of showing up in the top 10 while it lasts.....since I'm right at the 10 mark.  I'll have to admit I was trying to feel out the east side direction change on that 24 minute lap, but I was able to set a PR on the west side that day.  Certainly not close to the pace of Todd and Ronan, but I'm happy with my progress.  

I've registered and I'm ready to go.  I won't be winning any prizes, but I'm sure looking forward to the entire experience.  

Scott

keep at the practice and training and you may find yourself on a podium step come June.  You are up against other Cat-3 racers for both cash and trophies. You guys have your own race.

2 minutes ago, Skyyhorn said:

Scott

Not to burst your bubble, since we're on the same one. But that's only the Austin VooDoo List. Here's the full 4.0 leader-board. I move from a respectable yet tenuous #10/12 (I already got bumped) to #66/84

image.thumb.png.7b09e074224218143fef193122f4ff7d.png

1 minute ago, RedRider3141 said:

Not to burst your bubble, since we're on the same one. But that's only the Austin VooDoo List. Here's the full 4.0 leader-board. I move from a respectable yet tenuous #10/12 (I already got bumped) to #66/84

image.thumb.png.7b09e074224218143fef193122f4ff7d.png

Look at it this way though: You have 8 minute or more of room to improve in.  Those top guys have about 18 seconds or less of room to improve in and those times posted may be as fast as they will ever go no matter what.  The trail does have a top speed after all.  

• Haha 1

I'm not racing because I'll be helping DesertNomad (i've never done a race so can I enter CAT 3 😉 ). I think I could drop 30 seconds or more off my time with a proper warm-up and the correct hydration + fueling. Not going out too fast is also a good strategy. After a good warmup, I start out just below my race pace then increase the speed the further I go. That seems to work for me cause I'm better able to gauge how much effort I can apply to maintain speed around the whole course instead of bonking half way round.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DesertNomad said:

The current record of 15:04 is held by a local non-racer on an Intense Carbine 29r Factory rolling a Teravail Kennebec 2.6 at 13 psi front and a Maxxis Ikon 2.6 at 15 psi rear. 

A second behind at 15:05 is a very fit/skilled pro XC horse-jockey on a top-end Trek Fuel 9.9 with Maxxis Ardent Race 2.2s front and rear both at 20 psi - a bike set up for climbing and overall XC hammering. 

Right behind them at 15:18 is a Chumba Stella single speed on 32:20 with Maxxis Rekon 2.6s at sub 20 psi ridden by another local non-racer. 

Tires and tire pressure are very important as this demonstrates - perhaps the most important thing in choice of equipment. Knobs on the front for cornering and a fast roller in the back for speed are a good recipe.

Had the pro rider had either a heavier knob tire in the front or a less knobbed in the back, his cornering bias would have been better balanced and he'd have been faster.  Ronan's advice is sound.  As it was this go around, the rear would stick but the front would wash out unless he spent extra effort moving around on the bike to load the fork at which point, he could not stay on power. 

I had my first try yesterday and I definitely felt my front washing out.  I'm 211 on Ikon 2.35 front 25psi and rear 28psi.   I thought higher pressure for the west side was needed, but lower pressure for the east side is also needed.  So how to split it?  I went today again without adding or removing any pressure...which means maybe 0.5psi lower overall.  I went faster and it felt more hooked up, but for sure some big side knobs on the front and small in the center and a fast rear XC seems like it would help.  I'm still getting used to the backwards sections but I'm in at 13th (at least as of 2:30pm 3/21) with a 16:38.  I feel like I need a full face helmet, because my face was so close to trees that if the front washed out, I'd have left some teeth on a tree trunk or two.  

What are your thoughts on hardtail vs FS?  I've ridden 3.0 on my SS and I felt faster.  That's with Ground Control 2.3 front and rear, on 23mm rims (not optimal for sure).

• Like 1