IGNORED

Peddlers Pass Lap Times

1 minute ago, First-Blood said:

Same course for everyone. Only the juniors had one small drop along creek blocked and short reroute

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wow that's amazing! Those youngsters are going to be taking podium spots for years to come. 

12 minutes ago, throet said:

So a 13 yr-old won Men's Cat 3 and a 14 yr-old won Men's Cat 2? Was it the same course for those age groups? 

Both kids raced both the junior the the adult race and both put up 5  laps of sub 15 minute and closer to 14 minute runs! 

• Like 4

Looked like everyone was having a great time out there. I even talked to a couple of family's that were just out enjoying the park and they actually seemed excited about this event happening. The comment "That's pretty cool that the City was putting on this event" gave me a chuckle. In a good way 🙂

I didn't hear of any injuries?

1 hour ago, June Bug said:

Yeah, the kids are all right!  Plus,  school mtb racing programs are cranking out a lot of fast kids.  

Ethan Welling was in the North Austin composite 8th grade team this spring (yep, we got spanked by a middle schooler!) and he wasn’t even the fastest kid in the 8th grade in the first two races (only ones my son was able to race this year.)  These youngsters look like pros on the trail.  

• Like 1

Just want to say thanks to everyone involved for getting that race put together,as well as all the volunteers that worked on the trail and worked the race! I can't remember a time that I didn't at least have to drive a hour to attend a mtb race! A special thanks to @HoneyBadger, @DesertNomad,KOM! The course was perfect for the time trial format, hope it happens again next year!!

• Like 7

My Lap times

PR before race:

• 20:51 (pre-build)
  • 21:52 (95% new build complete) 

Race Times:

I actually really like the Start/Stop that was used for the race. Somehow I think it helped me use my energy a little differently and I found it easier to "sprint" on sections I was usually tired out on.

Kudos again to @HoneyBadger, @DesertNomad, AJ/ Peddler Bike Shop, KOM, Al the announcer dude and all of the trail marshals. The trail, event and the whole day went really well. My only hiccup was not reading the class times... I definitely showed up at 6:45am ready to race. 🤣 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

I actually really like the Start/Stop that was used for the race. Somehow I think it helped me use my energy a little differently and I found it easier to "sprint" on sections I was usually tired out on.

It's interesting.  For me it was the opposite.  I like the normal start because it gets me in a rhythm and focused on pacing.  The start-stop for the race had us hitting the higher power areas close to the road sooner and I definitely did not pace myself well.  I got better and better each time but I really blew my legs on the first lap with totally the wrong setup.

59 minutes ago, CBaron said:

Was this event caught on a particular Strava segment(s)?  Or did the unique start/stop location prevent future time comparisons from happening?  What if there are those of us that would like to go measure-up?

Thanks, -CJB

Someone created a Full Gas on Peddlers Pass segment but it doesn't start at the right location.  I was about to create this segment but wouldn't want to encourage starting from other than the official entrance.  IMO stop watch (or manual lap on the Garmin, turn off auto lap) starting from the normal location is probably pretty close.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

That is how some of us feel when we see the other stuff that you do....

haha, I knew I was gonna get my schooled. I was participating mainly to support the event being put on by my buddies. I definitely respect the fitness aspect of XC racing but ya'll can have that shit! 

I registered cat 2, 35 and under, and pretty sure I was almost last in my category. my times showed me belonging in middle-lower pack cat 3 LOL

I had never ridden peddlers pass before, my first lap of 2 was blind, and we started racing at 1pm and it was hot as hell.. I can think of more excuses too. haha

maybe take those same guys over to cat Mtn to do some stage racing over there and the results may have been a little different 🤷‍♂️ I prefer racing that has lots of gnar and a little gravity to help get my big ass moving! 

Was this event caught on a particular Strava segment(s)?  Or did the unique start/stop location prevent future time comparisons from happening?  What if there are those of us that would like to go measure-up?
Thanks, -CJB

I use my fast lap, (and only lap) to create a segment. The GPS data was not very good and it is not accurate enough to rely upon.

1. It’s about exactly 20 seconds faster than the actual lap times
2. It didn’t pick up the winner of the race.
3. It picked up some random other people who rode on a different day.

So it’s not accurate. I would use the lap button on your garmin or watch, or just keep using the 5.0 route which is usually “pretty accurate”

4.0 is widely inaccurate which is while some people were heartbroken by their lack of PRs in the race.

Interestingly, the top three on 5.0 predicted the fastest 3 riders in the Cat 1 race... so there is that. I would just keep practicing on 5.0 using the in and out bully the 2 boulders. Make sure you start and finish near the boulders and come all the way out if you are looking to measure your lap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Where can I find some pictures from the event?
I assume maybe someone started an album somewhere maybe? Maybe the organizers did? Does anyone know?

What cat? I have a google drive link with a bunch of the pics taken by Texas heating and AC and then I have all of the ones I took at the look Ride for Cat 3.

24 minutes ago, FJsnoozer said:

What cat? I have a google drive link with a bunch of the pics taken by Texas heating and AC and then I have all of the ones I took at the look Ride for Cat 3.

Cat 3 here. I’m slow as shit but my bike and beard looked great out there. 

• Like 3