IGNORED

Gravel Bike vs. Mountain Bike?

Looking through comments, it looks like this could also be an option. A little more expensive (and a dodger manufacturer) but probably a lot lighter and better damping because it is carbon:

https://www.amazon.com/Handlebar-External-Handlebars-Traveling-640mm/dp/B0BJTVLHFC

Right now my urban singlespeed has an Origin8 bat wing bar with Ergon handle grips:

IMG_3863.thumb.jpeg.7413a41320913194d085c5943ece5b6d.jpeg

Maybe the first step is to swap these bars to the gravel project and see how that goes. I've done at least two 100-mile urban rides on this bike and did plenty of MTB trails in New Mexico that were very rocky. This would give me a little more flexibility and more hand positions than a flat bar.

• Like 1

My current theory is get home from CA and start with the Vassago:

• Cut down the current Pike to 120MM from 140mm, cut the steerer tube
  • Gravel tires
  • Move the batwing bars and grips from the urban bike

Next step:

• Try out the rigid fork that I already have
  • Update the drive train to an 11-T 42T cassette and new derailleur
  • Play with multiple front rings 32T through 42T

Final step:

• Maybe get a carbon fork
  • Maybe just go get a gravel fork

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 12:00 PM, AustinBike said:

My current theory is get home from CA and start with the Vassago:

• Cut down the current Pike to 120MM from 140mm, cut the steerer tube
  • Gravel tires
  • Move the batwing bars and grips from the urban bike

Next step:

• Try out the rigid fork that I already have
  • Update the drive train to an 11-T 42T cassette and new derailleur
  • Play with multiple front rings 32T through 42T

Final step:

• Maybe get a carbon fork
  • Maybe just go get a gravel fork

You get what you pay for, and if you build a bike out of third-hand parts it'll likely be a third rate bike. I built a Why Cycles Ti gravel bike with Lauf fork from the frame up - and while expensive, it fits me perfectly and should last the rest of my life. Choices ....

• Like 3

That looks a lot like what I will end up with. Ultimately I will have 2 forks (rigid and squishy) and two Wheelsets (gravel and MTB) so I should be able to swap things around.

I doubt I will do much gravel in TX because Texas gravel does not appeal to me. Most of my gravel will be in California and New Mexico during 2-4 week vacations that are becoming the norm.

Being able to travel with a second Wheelset and fork would give me 2 bikes without having to haul a second bike out there with me.

• Like 3

I struggle with these sometimes. Just seem like a MTB with drop bars which doesn't make much sense to me. In my experience, a real 20-22lb gravel bike goes like stink compared to fat tired heavier bikes. 

No shade, and to each their own though.

On 3/16/2023 at 11:50 AM, ATXZJ said:

I struggle with these sometimes. Just seem like a MTB with drop bars which doesn't make much sense to me. In my experience, a real 20-22lb gravel bike goes like stink compared to fat tired heavier bikes. 

No shade, and to each their own though.

That's fair. 

I bought the salsa fargo as a bike to put miles on for rides with no plan. A bike to do everything "good enough" and be fun and comfortable the entire time. 

From paceline roadie rides holding 18-19mph, to gravels events, to every mtb trail in central Texas, it's done it all. 

And surprisingly enough, it's become my favorite bike and my favorite type of riding by a huge margin. So much, that I got rid of every other bike except for my carbon Obed gravel bike, and I still ride the Fargo more by a 3-1 clip. Granted, as I get older I am enjoying moments on the bike that don't beat me up, so things like DD and even quarter notch I ride much less these days, if ever. 

And let the record show, this is a steel Fargo running 27.5x2.8 ikons with a dropper and 3 cages and clips 28 pounds on the dot. So it's not as burly as one may think  

Edited by bestbike85
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...