IGNORED

500 miles on new bike

I bought my 2018 Transition Smuggler in November. I’ve put 500 miles on it so far. 

So far I’ve just done basic snugging of bolts, lubing, wiping, cleaning, inflating, etc.

there is a creak coming from somewhere. And my rear hub makes noise from inside of it depending on where the peddles are located and force applied in turns and climbs.

Is there anything maintenance wise I should be doing?

I bought it at the peddler. I love that shop.

Chasing down creaks is hard work. You'd be surprised at the places they can be found though. It's worth sleuthing out the truth though because a creak could be an indication of something wrong that will get worse with time.

Any place where metal touches metal usually should be treated in some way with grease, oil, threadlocker, or antisieze. Spokes, bottom bracket cups, pedal threads, seatposts, chainrings, and every single little bolt on your bike should be checked. Time and use will do it to your bike, but if your bike has seen any sort of moisture, creaks start to show up.

5 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

It's worth sleuthing out the truth though because a creak could be an indication of something wrong that will get worse with time.

+1

I had a creak "somewhere up front" a couple years ago. Every time I'd ride the bike I'd think "better check that out when I get home, my stem's probably loose or something."

Of course, I'd forget about it until the next ride.

Then this happened:

IMG_20160608_140031578.thumb.jpg.74aae5fc3b4fdbdff5333aa19c4cff95.jpg

I'm more diligent about chasing down creaks now!

Edited by schoolie
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Look up how to service your rear hub.  It's easy enough that I wouldn't take it to a shop, and it'll allow you to check for damage.  If you ride hard you're probably going to break parts in the rear hub/axle area eventually.

You could change the lower oil in the fork and the air can oil in the shock.  It's very easy and makes a big difference on Fox stuff especially.

Wasn't your bike a demo before you bought it?  If you're actually at 1000 miles the bottom bracket bearings might be toast.  See if the cranks wobble any way they shouldn't.  Also check that the headset is adjusted properly.

I have basically addressed creaks by checking the following:

1. Make sure skewers are tightened. Especially the rear.

2. Check your seat. Pedal hard standing up. If the creak is in the seat it can either be in the seat rails (connection to saddle) or in the rail connection to the seat post. Or it could be in the seat post connection to the frame (pull the post out, wipe it clean inside and also the post, then reinsert.

3. Check your front crank ring bolts.

4. Check your cassette.

5. Check your pedals and also your shoe connection. Pedal without your shoes clipped in.

6. Check your headset and handlebars.

7. Check your pivots. I put this near the end because it can be a real PITA. First make sure they are all tight. If they are you may need to take the frame apart and clean them out if there is dust/dirt in there. 

8. Check your bottom bracket. Everyone always blames this one first, but it is typically the last thing that I check on.

Running through this list will help you familiarize yourself with the bike. Then, when you take it into the shop (for most likely #8) you've eliminated all of the typical first check items and they'll do a better job because it will be narrowed down to a few places. The worst thing (I am guessing) for a wrench is to have someone drop a bike off with "it creaks" and know they are going to spend way too much time and make way too little money on the job. It's like dropping a car off at a dealer with "it is making a weird noise sometimes."

• Like 1

Not sure about the Peddler, but alot of shops will offer a free tune up or 2 in the first year of riding. You may ask to find out. You may be able to get a solid adjustment and tightening of all the bolts. Wont include the suspension servicing most likely, but those are you usually not too expensive and I would highly recommend it. With a beer or coffee bribe you may even be able to hang out and watch to learn a thing or 2. 

• Like 2

My drivetrain was creaking the other day. I pulled my crank arm off and found that the lockring that holds the chainring in place (Raceface Cinch) was only finger-tight! I had tightened the bejeesus out of that when I put it on, too. Cleaned it up really well and reinstalled with a few drops of Loctite 242 for good measure.

26 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

My drivetrain was creaking the other day. I pulled my crank arm off and found that the lockring that holds the chainring in place (Raceface Cinch) was only finger-tight! I had tightened the bejeesus out of that when I put it on, too. Cleaned it up really well and reinstalled with a few drops of Loctite 242 for good measure.

I love the way the Cinch looks, but I have more problems with that thing coming loose on rides than anything else...Even with loctite that guy will still wiggle loose every few rides.

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

I have to wonder if the thickness of the chainring you are using is slightly out of spec. You can also get the threads CLEAN and dab some Loctite 242 in there. It's really hard to break 242 loose once it's installed correctly.

To clarify it is not the chainring, but the crank arm that is coming loose. Its only that single bolt that holds everything on and it jut backs out on my harder rides at the GB.

When I have a creak I can't find, I will ride with a small bottle of light oil.  I will apply to spots until the creak goes away, then remedy the problem once I get home.  Right now I have a creak on the front of my bike, and I've taken the headset bearings out and lubed them and it's still there.  I hope there's not a loose cup or crack in the frame.

38 minutes ago, csmceuen said:

To clarify it is not the chainring, but the crank arm that is coming loose. Its only that single bolt that holds everything on and it jut backs out on my harder rides at the GB.

Yikes. I think that bolt is supposed to be cranked to 45 foot-pounds, aka a ton of torque.

1 hour ago, csmceuen said:

I had that happen a lot on my single speeds. Literally had a crank arm come off and throw me to the ground.

Loctite took care of the problem.