IGNORED

MTB rental and ride near downtown

MoxNix

I'm gonna be in Austin next weekend and want to rent a mountain bike and check out a local trail for a few hours. Is there a shop that rents bikes and is near a decent trail? I'm a solid intermediate rider looking for a flowy good time. I won't have a car but could rent one for the day if I had to. 

What is your skill level on technical?

On Monday - Wednesday I have no commitments and can ride anytime. Thursday I have my annual physical so I could be ready to ride from ~11:00 onward.

If you want a flow good time I would not recommend the Greenbelt as it is more technical and can easily overwhelm a person. Walnut Creek is the flowy place in town.

I can pick you up at the shop and we can drive to the trailhead so you don't have to muck with a rental bike on a rental car.

Ping me if you want to ride and we can work out the details. BSS is the best place to rent in town.

30 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

Bicycle Sports Shop on Lamar rents bikes and is right down the road from the entrance to the Greenbelt.  I wouldn't say it was 'flowy' in the traditional groomed trail sense but there is more trail than you can ride in a few hours for sure.  

+1 on BSS rental + Barton Creek Greenbelt being a great option for riding to the ride. But as everyone says... it is not flowy and full of berms. It is chunky and technical and beautiful and a hoot.

26 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

What is your skill level on technical?

On Monday - Wednesday I have no commitments and can ride anytime. Thursday I have my annual physical so I could be ready to ride from ~11:00 onward.

If you want a flow good time I would not recommend the Greenbelt as it is more technical and can easily overwhelm a person. Walnut Creek is the flowy place in town.

I can pick you up at the shop and we can drive to the trailhead so you don't have to muck with a rental bike on a rental car.

Ping me if you want to ride and we can work out the details. BSS is the best place to rent in town.

+1 on riding with AustinBike for a greenbelt or Walnut tour. But don't let Walnut be your only ride, though, because it's a criss crossy, spaghetti noodle urban park that is indeed swoopy and twisty but doesn't feel as epic or remote as other trails in town.

People go to Bentonville, AR for flowy rides. People come to Austin for rugged technical trails. If you want to experience true to style Austin mountain biking, take up Austinbike on a greenbelt tour. He can help you avoid the hardcore stuff if that's not your speed, but still get you a good taste. This is our ideal weather period, so enjoy!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

People go to Bentonville, AR Spider Mountain for flowy rides. People come to Austin for rugged technical trails. If you want to experience true to style Austin mountain biking, take up Austinbike on a greenbelt tour. He can help you avoid the hardcore stuff if that's not your speed, but still get you a good taste. This is our ideal weather period, so enjoy!

FTFY.

• Like 1

ATX Bikes will be starting it's new rental operation this coming week with all new Giant models. ATX Bikes is located on the South Austin Trail Network (SATN). It is literally at their back door. The SATN has 85 miles of flowy and fast trails with small sections of techy stuff scattered about.

• Like 1

Last weekend I did a greenbelt ride that involved a stop at Zilker Park to fill my bottle (and see if there was anything worth seeing at Barton Springs Pool). While I was checking out the scenery, a guy came up to me and said that someone told him there was a place close by to rent a mountain bike. My first thought was BSS, but he was under the impression that the other person meant that it was somewhere in or much closer to the park. Is there somewhere else that I don't know about? Do they rent bikes at the place where they rent out canoes?

23 hours ago, The Tip said:

ATX Bikes will be starting it's new rental operation this coming week with all new Giant models. ATX Bikes is located on the South Austin Trail Network (SATN). It is literally at their back door. The SATN has 85 miles of flowy and fast trails with small frequent sections of techy stuff scattered about.

14 hours ago, mcfly said:

Last weekend I did a greenbelt ride that involved a stop at Zilker Park to fill my bottle (and see if there was anything worth seeing at Barton Springs Pool). While I was checking out the scenery, a guy came up to me and said that someone told him there was a place close by to rent a mountain bike. My first thought was BSS, but he was under the impression that the other person meant that it was somewhere in or much closer to the park. Is there somewhere else that I don't know about? Do they rent bikes at the place where they rent out canoes?

There's that old juice place on Barton Springs Rd, but they're not GB-grade bikes.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice peeps, I had a great ride Saturday. The trail was dry the whole way out and then the sky opened up for the trip back. All those little dry steam crossings flooded and it was a totally different ride. Awesome! Then got some ribs from a place near BSS and rented a Jump ebike for the ride back to the hotel. That was kinda fun too.