IGNORED

Where would you buy a Fork?

If you weren’t going local I can help you out. I’ve got Fox, Rockshox, CaneCreek, MRP, and Ohlins at the moment.

I’m a Gearhead with Competitive Cyclist.
bsloan@backcountry.com

edit…but Wes is awesome too!

Edited by Teamsloan
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 12:09 PM, Mattlikesbikes said:

If you want LBS I would talk to Wes at Velorangutan. 

He also may have something brand new just sitting there - he does a lot of custom builds and often customers swap something out during the build process.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2023 at 10:47 PM, circuitbreaker said:

I'd be cautious ordering from Chain Reaction. Last package I ordered from them arrived utterly destroyed. Thankfully it was just 2 tires. Anything from overseas is a risk these days. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

29/27.5+ (Boost) yes. That's a great deal on a new fork, I'm not as familiar with the Yari. I've been mostly looking at the Fox 34 options, RS Lyrik or Pike and more recently the Marzocchi Z2. From what I found in 10 min of googling, I'm afraid it's not much of an improvement over my base RS 35. 

2 hours ago, RedRider3141 said:

29/27.5+ (Boost) yes. That's a great deal on a new fork, I'm not as familiar with the Yari. I've been mostly looking at the Fox 34 options, RS Lyrik or Pike and more recently the Marzocchi Z2. From what I found in 10 min of googling, I'm afraid it's not much of an improvement over my base RS 35. 

Yari is basically a lyrik with a motion control damper. Same chassis. I've swapped all kinds of parts between RS forks to get the specs I want. That's the nice thing about them. 

Yari is somewhat overkill for CTX but not many more grams than pike. Good for a heavier rider. Charger dampers are cheap and easy to come by in the future.

HTH

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

If it were me, I'd buy the fork and then use the serial number to get the correct shaft. There are a lot of options out there . You can also buy a used one and swap the seal/head . Pike fits too

Edited by ATXZJ

OK, so if Yari is to Lyrik as Revelation is to Pike, why not start with the Revelation and do the same upgrade?

As I understand it the Yari/Lyrik chassis is stiffer and capable of longer travel, targeted more at Enduro. 

The revelation/Pike is just a little notch less, targeted at trail rosing.  Less max travel, lighter chassis, etc.

I'm a little heavier at 220lbs but I don't ride aggressive, I prefer to pick my way down a trail than huck myself. 

IMHO, seems a bit of a waste to throw money at a revelation. Resale on Yari will be higher since it has more to offer buyers if you decide to sell. The +/- 300 grams difference between pike and yari is worth it for someone over 200lbs regardless of riding style.

My trailbike currently has a pike 150mm and will be replaced with a lyrik. I can feel it moving around on me and I'm around 190lb fully kitted.

To each his own though

• 5 weeks later...

I went round and round with 5 different sites, almost pulled the trigger on a Marzocchi Z2, missed the great deal @ATXZJ posted on the Yari and ended up getting desperate and tried Facebook Marketplace. Went back and forth with a few sellers and then found a great deal on a NIB Pike from a guy in South Austin. Turns out it was Wes! I should have listened from the beginning. My urge to stay north of the river is too strong. 

I've been sick since I got it installed so I've only been able to ride around my yard. Already can tell it's a big jump from my RS 35 Gold RL and my only other good reference my old Fox 32.

On 4/19/2023 at 1:09 PM, Mattlikesbikes said:

If you want LBS I would talk to Wes at Velorangutan. 

On 4/23/2023 at 8:57 AM, TAF said:

He also may have something brand new just sitting there - he does a lot of custom builds and often customers swap something out during the build process.

On 4/19/2023 at 7:10 PM, Teamsloan said:

edit…but Wes is awesome too!

image.thumb.png.b9060d5b96a6abe51bea744c30853fd9.png

• Like 2