IGNORED

New trail system in Borger, TX!

Just came across this on facebook.   The dedication for the  7-mile  Chad Alan Foster Memorial Trail System in Borger was yesterday and a TMBRA race is happening today (April 23, 2023).     Singletrack for hike, bike, run!   If you go to Palo Duro Canyon,  a fun side trip to Borger could yield some fun single track.  This being Texas, it's an 8-hour drive from here to there. 

Where the heck is Borger?  It's a bit northeast of Amarillo, at the same latitude as Oklahoma City.   Link to the race page HERE, and if you scroll down a bit there is an over view of the trail system. 

This is a satellite image of Borger. That grey/white area to the right is the town. The black cloud on the left is a carbon black plant. My former boss grew up there and said if the wind was coming in from the west, his mom couldn't hang laundry out to dry or it would turn black. https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/chemical/carblack.htm#:~:text=The most likely effect of,lodge deep in their lungs.

image.thumb.png.18e78f6351dda38c5b70c8e42edbb9ff.png

• Like 2

To be fair, it doesn't seem like too bad of a trail system. Could be a nice break from the typical CTX monotony if it were closer. 

However, if someone was traveling from CTX, I'd find it hard to make the extra 1hr trip up when Palo Duro is right there. Also Angel Fire is only 4.5 hrs further much less ABQ, NM. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

To be fair, it doesn't seem like too bad of a trail system. Could be a nice break from the typical CTX monotony if it were closer. 

However, if someone was traveling from CTX, I'd find it hard to make the extra 1hr trip up when Palo Duro is right there. Also Angel Fire is only 4.5 hrs further much less ABQ, NM. 

Yeah, and good for them putting a new trail system in. I think we all agree, more trail is always better. I'm really not trying to shit on Borger. (The oil companies have already done that.) 

• Haha 3

• 3 months later...
On 5/4/2023 at 1:07 PM, notyal said:

Yeah, and good for them putting a new trail system in. I think we all agree, more trail is always better. I'm really not trying to shit on Borger. (The oil companies have already done that.) 

The more interesting aspect is that someone or several people in this funky town decided they needed, really needed a trail for the homies, found the area to put in trails, got after it, and created a trail system and now there's a place to run, walk the dog, mountain bike ride. Maybe they rode in Palo Duro Caprock Canyon and decided they'd rather have a trail out the back door.  It's just amazing to me that trails can pop up in the weirdest place because someone wants a trail system to ride their bike. 

I think of Gooseberry Mesa in Utah, the Alien Run trails near Aztec, NM, Phil's World, and shout out to Mark H. @ Walnut Creek! 

Side note: Alibates Flint Quarries National Monument is not too far away.  

Edited by June Bug

• 4 weeks later...