IGNORED

Tandem bike on Peddlers Pass

Ok everyone. I'm ready to embarrass my self on the Peddlers Pass Full Gas race in June. There is a tandem class and I wanna do this thing. I would like to rent or borrow one prior to the event to give it a big ole college try if anyone is willing to help out. We can work out compensation or whatever it takes. Anyone?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Tree Magnet said:

Cody - if you need parts to get the tandem operational, let the community know. We need this tandem race to happen.

I just need to set aside the time to literally pull it out from behind my pile of (a dozen) bikes and give it a once (or thrice) over.  When I moved a year ago it sat outside for a little bit under the covered patio and developed some rust on chain and such.  I've also got it currently setup with 26" wheels (and road tires).  But my offload setup is a 29er front wheel which means chasing brake rotor sizing and caliper adapters.  In a perfect world it would be run with DH bike tubes because its prone to pinch flatting (F&R) tubes when ridden fast offload (you CANNOT EVER pull up your front wheel).  

Currently both my road and mtn bikes need a little love too.  So the tandem is taking a backseat.  But gimme a few weeks and I'll get it all done.  Anyone is welcome to give it a go (practice and Peddler's Race).  Its nice to have the free'd up space in the garage and I like for it to get ridden.  Please *NOTE- ideally the captain should be 5'10'-6'1"+, the stoker has a much wider range 5'2'-5'10".  However the captain fit is much more important.

-CJB

9 hours ago, Motopail said:

if any one really needs a tandumb...    there is a Fisher hanging from the rafters at my sister-inlaws place.

it's older...but is a Fisher.....bet she would sell it..

just say'n..

My wife would kill me if I had another bike in the garage! But PM me a price on this old tandem!

• Like 1

On 3/29/2019 at 8:01 PM, First-Blood said:

Ok everyone. I'm ready to embarrass my self on the Peddlers Pass Full Gas race in June. There is a tandem class and I wanna do this thing. I would like to rent or borrow one prior to the event to give it a big ole college try if anyone is willing to help out. We can work out compensation or whatever it takes. Anyone?

13 hours ago, CBaron said:

I just need to set aside the time to literally pull it out from behind my pile of (a dozen) bikes and give it a once (or thrice) over.  When I moved a year ago it sat outside for a little bit under the covered patio and developed some rust on chain and such.  I've also got it currently setup with 26" wheels (and road tires).  But my offload setup is a 29er front wheel which means chasing brake rotor sizing and caliper adapters.  In a perfect world it would be run with DH bike tubes because its prone to pinch flatting (F&R) tubes when ridden fast offload (you CANNOT EVER pull up your front wheel).  

Currently both my road and mtn bikes need a little love too.  So the tandem is taking a backseat.  But gimme a few weeks and I'll get it all done.  Anyone is welcome to give it a go (practice and Peddler's Race).  Its nice to have the free'd up space in the garage and I like for it to get ridden.  Please *NOTE- ideally the captain should be 5'10'-6'1"+, the stoker has a much wider range 5'2'-5'10".  However the captain fit is much more important.

-CJB

FB, I got the 6'1"+ part, and would also be willing to embarrass my self if you want to be the stoker! Fair warning, I haven't been on my bike since the race at spider mtn due to the rain, family obligations, selling and buying a house, ECT.... But this would give me an excuse to at least get a few rides in a week until the race!

27 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

What if you got a laid back seat post for a big ole boy stoker and a sub 100 lb captain?  I'm seeing a family ride-together opportunity.

I know this is tongue-n-cheek, but not gonna happen.  You MIGHT be able to "hop" the front wheel up in a parking lot  if both riders "hop up"(unweight) in unison.  But you'd never really be able to time this move on the trail (especially if any pedaling is going on).  Heck, just timing up-shift and down-shifts together is a challenge....

-CJB

(Not so) Funny anecdote about my adventure doing the Excruciation Exam on my tandem.  The week prior, me and my stoker when out to RHR to see if we could even navigate those turns and dips.  About an hour into our ride we pinch flatted the front tire on a root.  Swap out the tube, pump it up even higher pressure....and then about 20 minute later we pinch flat it again.  From there we were out of options and had to walk the (monstrosity) of a bike a few miles out of RHR and back to the truck.  Next week for the EE race I had installed super thick DH tubes and had no problems for our 8hrs of riding that day.

-CJB

6 hours ago, CBaron said:

(Not so) Funny anecdote about my adventure doing the Excruciation Exam on my tandem.  The week prior, me and my stoker when out to RHR to see if we could even navigate those turns and dips.  About an hour into our ride we pinch flatted the front tire on a root.  Swap out the tube, pump it up even higher pressure....and then about 20 minute later we pinch flat it again.  From there we were out of options and had to walk the (monstrosity) of a bike a few miles out of RHR and back to the truck.  Next week for the EE race I had installed super thick DH tubes and had no problems for our 8hrs of riding that day.

-CJB

Tubeless? Maybe throw in a Huck Norris or Crush Core? 

This was back in 09' and tire/rim/tubless combos were much more limited.  Additionally at the pressures needed for a 400 lb setup I didn't feel comfortable running ghetto tubeless.  Something more modern like a Huck Norris might have merit....but this is a bike that gets ridden 1x per year max lately.

-CJB

37 minutes ago, DesertNomad said:

No one has had the ballz to actually register in the tandem category yet, so at this point everyone is all talk and no go.

As far as I know, I'm the only one with a mtn tandem, and I wasn't the one doing all the barking.  Some of you other punks need to step up!

https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/austin-gt-quatrefoil-lx-tandem-bike/6832256323.html

https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/bik/d/north-richland-hills-tandem-mtb/6849644829.html

https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/d/katy-reduced-khs-tandemania-alite/6854996586.html

https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/austin-trek-mountain-train-tagalong/6850739789.html

Heck, I bet if you wanted something cheap and fun just to ride up the hood pool, this may suffice if you didn't hammer the rollers or hard-charge the defending bermed turns.

https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/austin-schwinn-tandem-like-new/6857431947.html

-CJB

Edited by CBaron

I think I saw a tandem out back at Yellow Bike.
if any one really needs a tandumb...    there is a Fisher hanging from the rafters at my sister-inlaws place.

it's older...but is a Fisher.....bet she would sell it..
just say'n..

All depends on price really. This would be a once only endeavor I'm guessing

FB, I got the 6'1"+ part, and would also be willing to embarrass my self if you want to be the stoker! Fair warning, I haven't been on my bike since the race at spider mtn due to the rain, family obligations, selling and buying a house, ECT.... But this would give me an excuse to at least get a few rides in a week until the race!
I'll give it a whirl