IGNORED

Tandem bike on Peddlers Pass

It seems obtaining a tandem that is suitable for riding is the main hurdle to everyone entering.  If the group is able to get one up and running, would it be a potential for multiple teams to use the same bike to fill out the category?  This might also work for one of those ones listed on Craiglist if a bunch of people all went in an bought one.  Thoughts?

-Scott

3 hours ago, Skyyhorn said:

It seems obtaining a tandem that is suitable for riding is the main hurdle to everyone entering.  If the group is able to get one up and running, would it be a potential for multiple teams to use the same bike to fill out the category?  This might also work for one of those ones listed on Craiglist if a bunch of people all went in an bought one.  Thoughts?

-Scott

I think the answer here is yes.  And I don't mind loaning my tandem out (for multiple teams) if needed.  And the less practice everyone gets the better this whole thing will play out.

-CJB

• Like 1

So picked up this badboy today courtesy of CBaron! Needs a little TLC but should be up and running in the next week or so! Intended to get signed up for tandem class tonight but the USA cycling website doesn't like my phone and internet is not set up at my new house yet! Will be a go once I get to work in the am!

631FB4E5-688C-4A56-99F0-7B000F5FF45B.jpeg

• Like 8

So picked up this badboy today courtesy of CBaron! Needs a little TLC but should be up and running in the next week or so! Intended to get signed up for tandem class tonight but the USA cycling website doesn't like my phone and internet is not set up at my new house yet! Will be a go once I get to work in the am!
631FB4E5-688C-4A56-99F0-7B000F5FF45B.thumb.jpeg.990928e29c1a54727220717224efe7e5.jpeg
It's going down! Like literally we will go down in the books as idiots. Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I learned a few things from watching that video:

1. You need a bomb-proof wheelset and I understand Cody's comment about having a good fork
  2. Tandem racing looks like fun where as non-tandem racing looks like work
  3. It's therapeutic to watch how both the captain and the stoker have to pedal at the exact same cadence
  4. The California mtb scene looked like it was a lot more fun back in the day
  5. Despite the 'no OTB' theory, those stokers were really hanging out over the rear wheel on that descent.  I get it...safe > sorry.

Thanks for sharing.  

As a seasoned stoker, I can admit that I cannot shake the urges/instincts/habits that I've developed over a lifetime of riding "half bikes."  The real magic happens when the stoker can put their trust in the captain and just provide power and balance.  While pedaling the same cadence is dictated by the chain-joined cranks, just as rewarding/therapeutic is shifting weight at the same time/coordinated.  There is nothing that will jack you up more than trying to counteract mis-weighted leans in a corner.  You schmucks trying this for the first time will be in for an education.  If schedule permits, I will attend these shenanigans just to watch your faces as you finish a lap.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, spicewookie said:

There is nothing that will jack you up more than trying to counteract mis-weighted leans in a corner.  You schmucks trying this for the first time will be in for an education.  

SO MUCH THIS!  The challenge for the FGPP event on a tandem will be developing an on-going rhythm of working together through the 100+ turns.  The bike (because its so long and flexy) itself oscillates with every pedal stroke.  There's a timing in this that will need to be woven into each successive undulating turn (x 100+).  Those that figure this out will do well and take home all the MONEY & LADIES....those that don't will get mocked and laughed at.

IMG_1854.thumb.JPG.05fcece647d590496fb6f098716aa766.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CBaron said:

SO MUCH THIS!  The challenge for the FGPP event on a tandem will be developing an on-going rhythm of working together through the 100+ turns.  The bike (because its so long and flexy) itself oscillates with every pedal stroke.  There's a timing in this that will need to be woven into each successive undulating turn (x 100+).  Those that figure this out will do well and take home all the MONEY & LADIES....those that don't will get mocked and laughed at.

IMG_1854.thumb.JPG.05fcece647d590496fb6f098716aa766.JPG

161 corners per lap that require some measure of steering input and body English.  It’s like the Nuremberg Ring for MTB. 

• Like 1

I've ridden Warda, RHR and Walnut on the tandem with no real issues.  Thus, I've assumed PP just wouldn't be a problem.  However, thinking about it further, there actually may be a few turns that will give 2 people, sitting aboard a 400LB rig, with a 6' wheelbase, some issues!  It won't be impossible, but it won't be easy either.  I'm certain it won't make it over the wood bridge(s).  But I'm UN-certain if the rollers and whoops on the latter half will be a problem (via high-centering).  I tend to think it will be ok....report back when you figure it out 4fun! 😉

I'm glad this seems to be picking up some more momentum.  If I can get my stoker (sherpaxc) to travel back into town (from Kerville) for this, then I might just jump into the fun.

Later,
CJB

PS-  SOMEBODY GO BUY ANOTHER TANDEM.

• Like 1

The GT on craigslist is a viable steed.  A vintage (steerer tube) Fox 36 coil, some DH wheels, and a Thudbuster out back would make that thing workable.  

I believe stokers will have the most difficulty with this challenge.  In tight corners, you are having to lean much earlier than you would riding solo.  You really just have to trust your captain's inputs (if they are good, granted) and mirror them.  Riding stoker takes an enormous amount of humility (much like marriage).  You really have to just give in and completely submit to your captain's inputs.  I jokingly said, "I just buried my head into his Jay's sweaty back and pedaled."  That's really what got us any real success.  Giving  up that much control on a bike (when you are so used to controlling it yourself) is really tough, but once you do, things will start to click.  

On the flipside, riding captain has extra work to think about how the bike will trail through the corner exit.  Your corner entry will be affected and your apex point moved farther back (in the wheelbase).  

A rough summary is: Captain rides "late" and stoker rides "early."  Once y'all try this, it will make sense.

Oh and I need a tandem team with bike for a shoot on 5/3 for a promotional video.  Maybe 1-2 hours tops.  Any takers? You will be forever ensconced in glory on the Inter-webs. And you might score beer too. 
I'll already be there. So as ling as the bike shows I'll straddle it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk