IGNORED

Need to rebuild a Fox shock

brentb

Darn, the air can rebuild kit isn't going to cut it. Fluid is leaking out the rebound knob, which pretty much requires a factory rebuild. I'm waiting to hear back from Fox for an estimate.

This might be the final issue for my Racer-X that forces me to finally get a new bike.

36 minutes ago, brentb said:

Darn, the air can rebuild kit isn't going to cut it. Fluid is leaking out the rebound knob, which pretty much requires a factory rebuild. I'm waiting to hear back from Fox for an estimate.

This might be the final issue for my Racer-X that forces me to finally get a new bike.

I guess if you want a new bike. that should be a 7.875 by 2.0 stock which is stupid common and can be had like new for under two hundred bucks. I literally just replaced the rp23 on my wife's racer x with a 2017 monarch and it's fantastic again.

1 hour ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

I guess if you want a new bike. that should be a 7.875 by 2.0 stock which is stupid common ...

And you're talking about the shock with eyelets at both ends. This one has a flat tab that is rigidly mounted to the rear subframe, with an eyelet pivot at the other end. It was used by Titus before they switched over to include the small intermediate link in their suspensions, to which a double-eyelet shock would mount.

12 minutes ago, brentb said:

And you're talking about the shock with eyelets at both ends. This one has a flat tab that is rigidly mounted to the rear subframe, with an eyelet pivot at the other end. It was used by Titus before they switched over to include the small intermediate link in their suspensions, to which a double-eyelet shock would mount.

Well if your  racer x is that old, it's time for a new bike.

26 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

Well if your  racer x is that old, it's time for a new bike.

I just showed your post to my wife. She hates you, but I love you.

Yeah, it's an oldie. It's from 2000 or 2001, and has been a fantastic bike and has lasted thousands of miles.

shocking_pic.png

• Like 1

Yeah, it's an oldie. It's from 2000 or 2001, and has been a fantastic bike and has lasted thousands of miles.
shocking_pic.thumb.png.3d5d02177751e25c600f8a43a5562ebf.png
Then she knows that the bike you are about to buy will bring you years of happiness and many many miles. The memories you are going to make can't have a price tag on them. Much like how your wife wants what is best for you, a priceless is what that is worth.
The blood sweat and smiles that you enjoy .. No you need deep down , cannot have a monetary value. So in a way this bike is a minimal investment in you as a person as well as your marriage to the beautiful person you married. What you are about to reap in good times and health and mental freedom is a far cry from what you both will get back in return.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

So many changes in the MTB world in the last 18 years, a new bike will blow you away.

I'm going to rent a couple different bikes, try some different frame designs. I completely tuned out bike changes and equipment several years ago (not 18, though), so when I started paying attention to it all again this year, it's been a surprise.

Good stuff, @Cafeend. I'm totally on board with all that, but when it's time to cut the check, current bike prices are insane.

Anyway, I'm not rushing out to get a new bike yet. First up is talking with Fox. If I can't get this shock fixed, my bike is useless.

2 hours ago, Cafeend said:

Then she knows that the bike you are about to buy will bring you years of happiness and many many miles. The memories you are going to make can't have a price tag on them. Much like how your wife wants what is best for you, a priceless is what that is worth.
The blood sweat and smiles that you enjoy .. No you need deep down , cannot have a monetary value. So in a way this bike is a minimal investment in you as a person as well as your marriage to the beautiful person you married. What you are about to reap in good times and health and mental freedom is a far cry from what you both will get back in return.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Am I witnessing something like Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train but  instead of making a deal to kill your wives you convince them that n+1 is the best thing?   I expect brentb to return the favor at some point.

10 hours ago, brentb said:

shocking_pic.png

ha damn man lets see a full profile pic of this cougar. or should I say sabertooth tiger

Man, this isn't looking good.

• BSS said it probably needs a factory rebuild, after I described the leaks and age.
  • Cycle Progression actually does factory rebuilds, folks! BUT, they were hesitant about this one due to age / parts availability.
  • I was able to talk to Fox. They won't even touch it now. CSR says, "We only service 8-10 years out."
  • I have contacted Risse Racing in Oregon, since they rebuild classic MTB stuff. I'm waiting to hear back from them.

I disassembled the shock yesterday, and the damper is leaking at the pushrod. It's pretty much lost its nitrogen at this point and is bleeding out. Cycle Progression didn't say no, so I may ask for a mercy service just to see if something can be done.

2 minutes ago, brentb said:

Man, this isn't looking good.

• BSS said it probably needs a factory rebuild, after I described the leaks and age.
  • Cycle Progression actually does factory rebuilds, folks! BUT, they were hesitant about this one due to age / parts availability.
  • I was able to talk to Fox. They won't even touch it now. CSR says, "We only service 8-10 years out."
  • I have contacted Risse Racing in Oregon, since they rebuild classic MTB stuff. I'm waiting to hear back from them.

I disassembled the shock yesterday, and the damper is leaking at the pushrod. It's pretty much lost its nitrogen at this point and is bleeding out. Cycle Progression didn't say no, so I may ask for a mercy service just to see if something can be done.

call Tim at cycle East he was the rebuilder for cycle progression and is The Man behind two six labs

• Like 1

This thread took a turn that seemed promising, then reverted back on its original track. Hopefully I can set things right here with a simple question.

Have you narrowed down the selection of what features you want on the bike that will be attached to the replacement shock you'll purchase? 😈

32 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

This thread took a turn that seemed promising, then reverted back on its original track. Hopefully I can set things right here with a simple question.

Have you narrowed down the selection of what features you want on the bike that will be attached to the replacement shock you'll purchase? 😈

Yes. I envision the replacement shock to be appropriate to the frame it's in, definitely a Fox float variant. The rest of the bike would be something like:

1. Disc brakes. Ha ha. Seriously. Disc brakes. But this is a given.

2. Looking at the 130mm travel bikes, 27.5". Trail/all-mountain category I guess.

3. Less than 30lbs

4. Prefer a DW link suspension, but I want to test ride some rentals with different setups.

There are a few bikes that would work as mere carriers for the new shock.

13 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

Alternative, used racer x frames are 200-300 on eBay...

Yeah, and that green medium frame+fork that's up there now was tempting. Honestly, at this point I don't want to spend too much effort reviving this relic. I want to get the shock working so I have a bike to ride for now and ultimately an intact bike to sell, but when it comes to spending more money I'd rather apply it towards a new bike.

Thanks for referring Tim. I'll call today and see what he says.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

call Tim at cycle East

Boom! After a brief chat, I took the shock over to Tim at Cycleast. So it's under the knife now, and might be ready on Tuesday.

When I got home, I had an email from Fox with a RA# for the shock. The employee I talked with said "no", but their online returns person says "yes". I'll keep the RA# on hand just in case Tim runs into a difficulty.

I appreciate the tip, Matt.

On 4/5/2019 at 7:09 PM, brentb said:

Boom! After a brief chat, I took the shock over to Tim at Cycleast. So it's under the knife now, and might be ready on Tuesday.

When I got home, I had an email from Fox with a RA# for the shock. The employee I talked with said "no", but their online returns person says "yes". I'll keep the RA# on hand just in case Tim runs into a difficulty.

I appreciate the tip, Matt.

I just called Tim for my own older shock. He says yours is done!

Edited by RedRider3141

On 4/2/2019 at 7:59 PM, brentb said:

shocking_pic.png

That bike has given its life to you. Time to retire it. Even if you can get the shock going again, nearly two decades of abuse mean something else is about to break on it too.

IMG_2001.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/3/2019 at 6:40 AM, Seths Pool said:

ha damn man lets see a full profile pic of this cougar. or should I say sabertooth tiger

I wasn't ignoring you, keep scrollin'.

7 hours ago, RedRider3141 said:

I just called Tim for my own older shock. He says yours is done!

Pretty funny, I think I may have gotten your post notification about the same time I got Tim's call.

7 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

That bike has given its life to you. Time to retire it. Even if you can get the shock going again, nearly two decades of abuse mean something else is about to break on it too.

IMG_2001.JPG

Here's the deal. I keep bikes a long time and keep them running. Last Saturday, I finally sold my 1993 Trek 8700. This was Trek's half carbon, half aluminum bike. All XT, total weight was 26lbs IIRC. That bike took me on the MS150, and was perhaps my favorite ride for Walnut.

Regarding the shock, Tim @ Cycleast finished up my shock today, and he said while the internal seals were shot, everything else looked fine. No problems rebuilding it, all internal seals were replaced, new damper fluid, and a fresh nitrogen charge.

So, for entertainment purposes here's my 2001 Titus. The original owner was the founder of Hammerhead bikes, I forget his name (Charles?). I'm the third owner and got it around 2005.

After a quick clean and reassembly:

259763833_titus-2.thumb.jpg.76b6e02d6ead894194f15c40ee6fcff3.jpg

XTR hubs and front derailleur, XT rear derailleur.

640576362_titus-1.thumb.jpg.c24cbea55f477ee933f31973ff504d47.jpg

Besides 4 or so small rock dings on the bottom side of the down tube, the only damage is the punched seatstay below. That part of the stay is slightly bent, but it was like this when I got the bike. I had a fall on cheesegrater that punched it even further though, but it's been like this for many years now.

536051012_titus-3.thumb.jpg.79ef030e94ff12460abc34370efcbc5c.jpg

And top tire choices for Austin, for 2008.

1224061305_titus-4.thumb.jpg.d4a4e99c17b7b86acbd1df1d89174217.jpg

I'd like to point out, the rear tire is a full 2.0 inches.

2097542714_titus-5.thumb.jpg.98eec9cf86fc06a99f3e10c7710fd005.jpg

Besides normal maintenance, here's the total work I've had to do on this bike:

1. Replace original Marzocchi Bomber fork with the Recon. It was a huge improvement, low cost, more travel, smoother, and except for its weight, is not a bad shock at all.
  2. Disassemble, clean, and lube the front derailleur shifter. It works perfectly now. Done 3/2019.
  3. First rear shock rebuild, 2009ish? Sent to Fox.
  4. Second rear shock rebuild, 4/2019

It's been a great bike. The rear wheel needs truing, but nothing major.

Thanks, everybody, for the various shop suggestions that allowed my bike to get fixed so quickly! I appreciate it.

• Like 7

On 4/2/2019 at 7:59 PM, brentb said:

Old bike

Props for riding an old bike into the ground. I wish I had that kind of patience. It's refreshing to see someone who does not need the newest, shiniest thing every few months and is instead willing to keep it going.

That bike really might be on borrowed time. With my experience in shops, ten years is stretching the life of a mountain bike. No one will think any less of you if you replace it some time. Don't wait until it actually breaks under you.

Edited by mack_turtle

11 hours ago, brentb said:

I wasn't ignoring you, keep scrollin'.

Pretty funny, I think I may have gotten your post notification about the same time I got Tim's call.

Here's the deal. I keep bikes a long time and keep them running. Last Saturday, I finally sold my 1993 Trek 8700. This was Trek's half carbon, half aluminum bike. All XT, total weight was 26lbs IIRC. That bike took me on the MS150, and was perhaps my favorite ride for Walnut.

Regarding the shock, Tim @ Cycleast finished up my shock today, and he said while the internal seals were shot, everything else looked fine. No problems rebuilding it, all internal seals were replaced, new damper fluid, and a fresh nitrogen charge.

So, for entertainment purposes here's my 2001 Titus. The original owner was the founder of Hammerhead bikes, I forget his name (Charles?). I'm the third owner and got it around 2005.

After a quick clean and reassembly:

259763833_titus-2.thumb.jpg.76b6e02d6ead894194f15c40ee6fcff3.jpg

XTR hubs and front derailleur, XT rear derailleur.

640576362_titus-1.thumb.jpg.c24cbea55f477ee933f31973ff504d47.jpg

Besides 4 or so small rock dings on the bottom side of the down tube, the only damage is the punched seatstay below. That part of the stay is slightly bent, but it was like this when I got the bike. I had a fall on cheesegrater that punched it even further though, but it's been like this for many years now.

536051012_titus-3.thumb.jpg.79ef030e94ff12460abc34370efcbc5c.jpg

And top tire choices for Austin, for 2008.

1224061305_titus-4.thumb.jpg.d4a4e99c17b7b86acbd1df1d89174217.jpg

I'd like to point out, the rear tire is a full 2.0 inches.

2097542714_titus-5.thumb.jpg.98eec9cf86fc06a99f3e10c7710fd005.jpg

Besides normal maintenance, here's the total work I've had to do on this bike:

1. Replace original Marzocchi Bomber fork with the Recon. It was a huge improvement, low cost, more travel, smoother, and except for its weight, is not a bad shock at all.
  2. Disassemble, clean, and lube the front derailleur shifter. It works perfectly now. Done 3/2019.
  3. First rear shock rebuild, 2009ish? Sent to Fox.
  4. Second rear shock rebuild, 4/2019

It's been a great bike. The rear wheel needs truing, but nothing major.

Thanks, everybody, for the various shop suggestions that allowed my bike to get fixed so quickly! I appreciate it.

That looks exactly like my Hammerhead from around 2005. I demo'd Charles' bike and then bought one.

Loved it and hammered on it for ~4 years, then the frame cracked at the head tube and it had to go to that great bike pile in the sky.

hammerhead.jpg

IMG_9233.JPG

• Like 1