IGNORED

More Trailwork at Lake Georgetown - Thursday, August 30th, 8AM

Albert

DesertNomad and I are going to head out to Lake Georgetown this Thursday, August 30th, to try and clear the remaining trees that are down between Cedar Breaks and Crockett Springs.  We'll leave the Cedar Breaks trailhead at 8am on bikes, and keep riding west until we start hitting downed trees.  We'll be using hand saws to clear any obstructions.  Please join us if you can! 

Bring work gloves and saws if you have them, but we should have some extra saws that will fit in a pack.  Make sure you bring plenty of water, as there will be no place to get water between Cedar Breaks and Crockett Springs.  We'll be returning after we reach Crockett Springs (which is a bit over two miles in, so not that far, especially on bikes).  

Here's a map showing the location of the Cedar Breaks trailhead: 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/30°40'11.8"N+97°44'19.4"W/@30.669936,-97.740912,685m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d30.6699357!4d-97.7387176

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

..Al

• Like 1

Albert- I'm not that great with park names and entrance locations, however, if I'm not mistaken, most of the downed trees began at Crockett Gardens and continued (clockwise) along the trail for probably 1 mile or so?  The reason I say this is that when making my clockwise lap out there on Saturday, I first ran across that NASTY group of large tree-fall at Crockett Gardens.  Then after that, I'd run into a downed tree about every 50-100yds repeated for 3-5 times.  

Just wanting to give you guys feedback from my dazed & confused state out there this weekend.

Thanks a bunch for putting in this work.  Its much appreciated.

-CJB

Hi Cody,

Thanks for the feedback.  I know someone else was out there this week and cleared some trees about a mile form Cedar Breaks heading towards Crockett Springs.  I'm under the impression that the downed trees between Cedar Breaks and Crockett are not as bad as what you saw at and near Crockett Springs, but I haven't seen any photos outside of where we worked on Sunday.  I guess we'll find out tomorrow, and I'll take some photos of whatever we encounter.  🙂 

..Al

DesertNomad won't be able to make it, so right now it might just be me.  If you show up and there's nobody else besides me, we could both walk in.  I know someone else cleared the first mile in from Cedar Breaks, so there's only another mile or so after that with potential trees down (I say "potential", as I am not clear exactly what we're going to find).  I'll send you my phone number so you can text me in the morning if you're going to be there. 

..Al

Throet and I got back out there today and cleared the remaining trees between Cedar Breaks and Crockett Springs.  Trail should now be good to go between Cedar Breaks through Cedar Hollow.  Hopefully there aren't any more trees down beyond that, but there may be some elsewhere on the trail.  We also cleaned up the trail across the small creek shortly before Crockett Springs (heading west). 

Here's some photos of downed trees and our work: 

16 hours ago, Albert said:

Throet and I got back out there today and cleared the remaining trees between Cedar Breaks and Crockett Springs.  Trail should now be good to go between Cedar Breaks through Cedar Hollow.  Hopefully there aren't any more trees down beyond that, but there may be some elsewhere on the trail.  We also cleaned up the trail across the small creek shortly before Crockett Springs (heading west). 

The more of this work I do, the greater appreciation I have for the many folks who do way more of it than I do. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, throet said:

The more of this work I do, the greater appreciation I have for the many folks who do way more of it than I do. 

Thanks for coming out!  I would have been out there much longer without your help, or I simply wouldn't have gotten it all done.