IGNORED

Did a gravel lap at Walnut today

Picked up a Surly Corner Bar and started to create my ultimate travel bike. 

Configuration one would be 2.4” Ardents, Pike fork, and carbon MTB bars.

Configuration two would be 40mm gravel tires, rigid fork and Surly Corner Bar

Today I tried the hybrid model today, all MTB with the drop bars.

IMG_0723.thumb.jpeg.575cc9353e3da0711fb9714a7d6e6121.jpeg

IMG_0726.thumb.jpeg.5d50b2620877615889da9c81eb57ba52.jpeg

So, the long and short of it was that I did a better lap on a singlespeed on Tuesday night.  It was harder to get a comfortable position because the best hand position is on the hoods with a drop bar. Can’t really do that with this bar. Additionally braking is more of a challenge than on a flat bar because you have to grab underneath. You can do it from the “hoods” because they are full of metal controls. You can do light braking but anything that requires a full grab is going to happen below. Trying to get over obstacles is more challenging as well because you can’t get the same leverage as a flat MTB bar.

Going to give it another try with the gravel wheels and the rigid fork to see if that is any better. 

I will still use this as intended, but I found today there is a serious difference in leverage and handling. 

• Like 1

I've ridden Walnut—parts of it selected for the least gnar—on a 650b, drop-bar, singlespeed bike. That place is magical because it has something for everyone. The last time I rode WC, I crossed oaths with at least a dozen people on "road-adjacent" gravel bikes as well.

Those bars look gnarly, maybe too gnarly. Check out the Salsa Woodchippers. They're incredible for that type of riding. Could give you the hand positions and comfort you're looking for. 

FWIW all of my PRs come on flat bars, not drop bars. The limited leverage prevents me from going balls out, but I still have a great time. 

2 hours ago, bestbike85 said:

Those bars look gnarly, maybe too gnarly. Check out the Salsa Woodchippers. They're incredible for that type of riding. Could give you the hand positions and comfort you're looking for. 

Woodchipper is kind of a "drops only" kinda bar. You really can't set them up for level hoods with a transition from the ramps, and a position that works from the drops at the same time. It's a true dirt-drop bar that works with a very tall stem. The Salsa Cowchipper, however, might work for this application if the frame's top tube is short enough for the rider.

download.png.e6100c399e8e9585838fbe00d0c434a6.png

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 9:51 PM, mack_turtle said:

Woodchipper is kind of a "drops only" kinda bar. You really can't set them up for level hoods with a transition from the ramps, and a position that works from the drops at the same time. 

There's a chance I could be missunderstanding your statement here, but I have woodchippers on my gravel bike (back when WC firt debuted).  I've got them setup nearly like 'road bars' with a great hood position and a quality drop position for my bike.  Its late, but I'll try to get a photo to show this tomorrow.  I dig them.

Cheers,
CJB

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

that bar/brake setup is pretty wild! When I converted the Mary SS to "gravel", I was able to use a normal drop bar and brakes Since the brakes were mechanical, I was able to use typical hood brake/shifter for right hand (just brake on left) though moving from the normal mtb brake levers to the hooded drop bar levers dropped the braking capacity a little bit. I am considering re-converting it back to the OG setup (singlespeed/Mary bars/rigid fork) and possibly selling it, with idea of maybe getting an actual gravel bike down the road. 

On 6/26/2023 at 8:51 PM, jcarneytx said:

that bar/brake setup is pretty wild! When I converted the Mary SS to "gravel", I was able to use a normal drop bar and brakes Since the brakes were mechanical, I was able to use typical hood brake/shifter for right hand (just brake on left) though moving from the normal mtb brake levers to the hooded drop bar levers dropped the braking capacity a little bit. I am considering re-converting it back to the OG setup (singlespeed/Mary bars/rigid fork) and possibly selling it, with idea of maybe getting an actual gravel bike down the road. 

Lol! 2 days later...maybe it will rain now?

Screenshot_20230629_141430_Gmail.jpg

Edited by jcarneytx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1