IGNORED

looking for a machinist

hey everyone, 

im looking for a machinist who could modify a 3rd party stem to work with track/bontrager's "knock block" system. 

Bontrager only offers very few select stems that are made for the knock block system and the shortest stem is like 50mm, and the one I have currently is 60mm. 60mm + an XL frame is gonna leave me feeling really stretched out

I have some shorter stems (either 35mm or 40mm) I would be interested in machining the knock block grooves into the bottom of the stem.

basically its just need two kidney-bean-shaped grooves machined into the stem that interlock with the headset spacers and ultimately the top headset bearing cover.

there is a knock block locking headset spacer that allows you to use third party stems without modification, but online reviews indicate this is a really mediocre solution as the collar often slips and just generally doesnt work as well as an actual knock block compatible stem. and the stupid locking collar seems to only be available in the UK which shipping is double or triple the cost of the locking collar. 

if anyone can help, hit me up!

Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 1.19.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 1.27.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 1.19.55 PM.png

Edited by Seths Pool

56 minutes ago, Yosmithy said:

So the slots follow the same radius as the headset top cover? I'm a bit confused when you mention "kidney-bean-shaped grooves"?

I started to try to type out an explanation on how the system works, but its started being long winded and annoying to try to type in my own words so I gave up. if you want to understand the system, read up on it. sorry!

in the short of it - I just need those grooves machined in a stem. 

38 minutes ago, notyal said:

I heard you can disable the Knockblock completely, or is your goal to block your knocks?

sure I could do that, but then the fork crown will collide with the down tube if I were to crash or try to spin my bars or whatever. surely the frame would end up getting damaged right there so id rather not

19 hours ago, Seths Pool said:

sure I could do that, but then the fork crown will collide with the down tube if I were to crash or try to spin my bars or whatever. surely the frame would end up getting damaged right there so id rather not

I can pass along the name of a local dude that makes custom bike protection. 

IIRC, the reason I heard for removing it completely was because of complications with loading on a tailgate. So, if that's a consideration for you, may be worth it. 

3 hours ago, bradtubgin said:

I have a mill that we could set it up on.  I'm not sure what the knock block is for, but I saw the modified picture, so if that's the cut  you need we can do that.  

That would be awesome! 

I will direct message you.

thank you!

• 2 weeks later...