IGNORED

Are you a talker?

zrx24

I was on a ride recently with a group that I had never ridden with.  They were maintaining a pace that was testing my limits, so at times I was huffing pretty good.  I think the worst part though was the dude I seemed to end up behind for most the ride that never shut up.  He yakked the entire ride to whoever was in front of him at the time.  They would respond a little, but mostly it was just him yakking.  Or in some cases if someone ahead warned of a low branch he would start hooting.  I think he may have been stoned.  🤪  

I think it was his talking during some of the climbs that was most frustrating.  I was both impressed and annoyed that he could talk during times that I was struggling to breath.  😳

I’ve never been much of a talker when out on the MTB.  I enjoy the quite, and more so the focus that is often required.

Where do you stand on the topic?  Are you a talker?  💬

This made me laugh because I have the "impressed" reaction to guys that are talking too. Actually call it jealous. Here I am just trying to keep up and these guys are talking like they're sitting in a recliner watching a football game. What the hell?!

But it doesn't bother me at all. I will also carry on a conversation sometimes during a ride. Group rides are social rides so I expect conversations. I also expect to ride slowly when I go out with my wife. And, like you, other times I enjoy getting lost in the wilderness, listening to nothing but the outdoors. Rides can be different things and I like that.

I enjoy group rides because they force me to just ride. I have a maintenance problem. If I am riding by myself and a branch brushes my arm I will stop to cut it. This happens even when I tell myself at the start of that solo ride that, "I'm not stopping today!"

Not a lot usually, unless it is someone new that I never rode with before. Ran into someone at WC yesterday while I was riding, he was new to the trail, so as I was showing him around I was talking to him. But there are times when I can go the full ride without saying anything (and my group probably appreciates that.) Heartrate max is ~135 for any heavy ride, so I can talk all the way up a climb if I want.

The funniest instance of this was between two friends on a ride. They had wired earbuds, and mumbled to each other over their phones the entire ride. Normal to them I guess.

I usually ride solo, so there's only moderate amounts of talking.

7 minutes ago, brentb said:

They had wired earbuds, and mumbled to each other over their phones the entire ride.

That is a trip.  

I guess I'm probably a talker on most accounts.  I ride solo most of the time so if I'm in a group or with a buddy, I tend to talk.  Of course, if the trail or the pace gets intense, I quiet down but I rarely go silent for too long.  I wen on my first group ride in a long time with the Crank and Drank crew this week and I found myself chatting up the rider in front of me.  It was more of a social conversation but it feels weird to me riding with people and NOT talking to them.  I get the hint when they either shoot off and leave me or slow down and let me pass.

I talk about 80% of a ride if I am with someone and only shut up when descending or if I decide to really power through a climb. I find it odd to go on a group ride without the intention of talking. If I am out for a nature/mental health ride I will go alone so I can silently enjoy everything.

I'm not a talker, beyond shouted warnings, calling turns, and that sort of thing. Between trail noise, wind, and other factors (too many years riding motorcycles without ear plugs) I can never follow whatever folks are saying when they talk while riding. They'll have catch me up on the chatter at the next stop if actual conversation is desired.

1 hour ago, brentb said:

The funniest instance of this was between two friends on a ride. They had wired earbuds, and mumbled to each other over their phones the entire ride. Normal to them I guess.

That reminds me of a motorcycle tour I did in Europe one time.  Large group riding through a small village that had narrow streets with many blind 90 degree turns that our group was having to navigate.  The group comes upon a large tourist bus that was having difficulty navigation the tight turns.  I'm fourth in line and the lead rider manages to get around the bus before the next turn.  Suddenly the two riders in front of me take off around the bus, TOTALLY blind maneuver.  Myself and everyone behind slam on the brakes, totally freaked out expecting massive carnage once we get around the bend.  Turns out those three guys had communication systems and the lead rider had told the other two that the coast was clear and to come on around.  Freaked the heck out of everybody.  😳

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, zrx24 said:

That reminds me of a motorcycle tour I did in Europe one time.  Large group riding through a small village that had narrow streets with many blind 90 degree turns that our group was having to navigate.  The group comes upon a large tourist bus that was having difficulty navigation the tight turns.  I'm fourth in line and the lead rider manages to get around the bus before the next turn.  Suddenly the two riders in front of me take off around the bus, TOTALLY blind maneuver.  Myself and everyone behind slam on the brakes, totally freaked out expecting massive carnage once we get around the bend.  Turns out those three guys had communication systems and the lead rider had told the other two that the coast was clear and to come on around.  Freaked the heck out of everybody.  😳 

I love my SENA system in my moto helmet.  Freaked out several people when I take a phone call and they ask where I am and I respond "on the moto going 75 on the hwy" and they are trying to mentally picture me riding the moto with a phone up to my ear!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shinerider said:

I love my SENA system in my moto helmet.  Freaked out several people when I take a phone call and they ask where I am and I respond "on the moto going 75 on the hwy" and they are trying to mentally picture me riding the moto with a phone up to my ear!

Music and audiobooks played through the SENA make the miles melt away on MC trips.

A lightweight MTB version might have some reasonable applications for couples, regular riding groups, audible turn by turn trail navigation, and such.

38 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

Music and audiobooks played through the SENA make the miles melt away on MC trips.

^^^^ This ^^^^

I never used it to talk to other riders. Lol, you can see the cord hanging out of the destroyed helmet.

helmet-1.jpg

When you're in a group of people, you talk to that group of people. Maybe not the whole time and it may not be very in-depth conversation either.

...But what is a group ride without heckling, exclamations about some feature, complaining about your creaking bike, simply holler'n "Whoohoo!, or yelling "NO BRAKES!" (Chuck).

• Like 2

I find it annoying sometimes and sometimes I’m guilty of it. I guess some of it depends on the conversation, if I’m feeling social, how hard I’m riding. There will ALWAYS be someone who can carry a conversation while you’re struggling to just breathe and not wreck.

I remember a ride where two older gents were discussing retirement communities, the costs, amenities, etc, phase II vs phase III etc. my first thought was, what is this "Cocoon - Part 3"? Maybe it was jealousy since I have a 25 years before retirement.

• Like 1