IGNORED

Are you a talker?

zrx24

27 minutes ago, loop_out said:

I will talk friendly to birds, but screw them squirrels.  I find their trail manners to be pretty shitty.  The same goes for bunnies.

Oh, and I always say "hey puppy" to any dog I see on the trail, especially loose ones. It tends to soothe them for some reason.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2019 at 3:02 PM, spicewookie said:

Come say that to my face, jerkwagon!  I won't say anything during the ride, but I'll Chewbacca stomp your stormtrooper ass after.:classic_ninja:

Ill let you win here. I heard it is unwise to upset a wookie.

Edited by csmceuen
  • Like 1

if someone just won't shut up and just seems to fill the air with their own voice at every given moment I'd usually probably say something. 

but if its a new group with a bunch of dudes you dont know, maybe thats not the best way to make new friends. 

but its ok to say something like "sorry, its hard for me to talk when im trying to breathe, shut the hell up" haha

1 hour ago, Seths Pool said:

if someone just won't shut up and just seems to fill the air with their own voice at every given moment I'd usually probably say something. 

but if its a new group with a bunch of dudes you dont know, maybe thats not the best way to make new friends. 

but its ok to say something like "sorry, its hard for me to talk when im trying to breathe, shut the hell up" haha

You can always just pedal faster...

-CJB

• Like 2

I rarely ride with others but what’s annoying to me is when someone wants to talk a lot but doesn’t speak up. I typically give a lot of “uh huh” and “yeeeah” type responses. In particular, if someone riding in front speaks forward and not very loudly...you’re projecting your voice in a direction away from me. Can’t we just ride and then talk later? If I feel chatty I try to project loudly (if behind) and if in front I wait until I can turn my head back some to throw the sound where someone following might actually hear. 

Once I start working hard to keep pace I shut up and just admit that I can’t talk if someone won’t be quiet. “Dude...I’ll talk to you later...I’m busy breathing.”

• Like 2

I admit it. I'm a bit of a talker. It seems to annoy no one but my wife though. 

4 hours ago, Seths Pool said:

but its ok to say something like "sorry, its hard for me to talk when im trying to breathe, shut the hell up"

Perhaps this is a good occasion to work on your listening skills?

8 minutes ago, Barry said:

I admit it. I'm a bit of a talker. It seems to annoy no one but my wife though. 

Perhaps this is a good occasion to work on your listening skills?

i was really just joking with the "shut the hell up" part.  im usually a person that can talk while riding anyway, but nonetheless, a person who just never stops talking gets annoying regardless if you are physically exerting yourself or not. to me personally anyway.

i dont want one extreme or the other. it doesnt need to be a ride full of mimes, but im also not trying to hear some dudes voice for hours on end while im trying to enjoy a ride either

Honestly though, you can't really do a quiet ride of a crowded Walnut anyway. It's always: "Hello." "Three more back." "On your left." "Excuse me." "Thank you!" "What a cute Aussie!" "You know this is the on-leash side, right?" "Just me." "You're all clear, thanks." "No problem, you're fine" ...and on and on. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Barry said:

"You know this is the on-leash side, right?" 

You still do that?  I've given up on this.  Too many people look at me like I'm a murderer when I try to talk to them nicely about this or in other leash-only parks.

36 minutes ago, Barry said:

Honestly though, you can't really do a quiet ride of a crowded Walnut anyway. It's always: "Hello." "Three more back." "On your left." "Excuse me." "Thank you!" "What a cute Aussie!" "You know this is the on-leash side, right?" "Just me." "You're all clear, thanks." "No problem, you're fine" ...and on and on. 

+1  I always try to be extra nice to hikers/runners/pedestrians.  

I also ride alone a lot, but when I do ride with a group, I like the social aspect of it and talking here and there.

5 hours ago, Barry said:

I was attacked by two smaller dogs that chased me at ~15-18MPH in the lot and then for about 1000 yards. Every time my foot went down on a pedal stroke they went for my foot. 

No leashes. No collars. And the owner was a total bonewipe about it. People suck.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, larlev said:

GF does use profanity when I take her on trails above her pay grade. Shes like a sailor back there. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

HA! oh man, I have various good stories from a couple of girlfriends over the years and mountain biking. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 im sure some of you have seen the classic angelfire video. 😆 

Edited by Seths Pool
  • Haha 2