IGNORED

Rainy Day Project - non-boost wheels on a boost fork

Bought a used Pike from Seth this past week and it was a boost fork. Non-boost is going the way of the 26" wheel, so I bit the bullet, bought a boost fork and got an adapter to fit the wheel.

Long term I'd like to see a new axle as King does not seem to have 15mm boost conversions that I can find, but for $12 on eBay, this one solved my problem. 

Here's the install process, hopefully when the trails dry I can give it some real testing.

http://www.austinbike.com/index.php/repairs/349-boost-adapter-for-non-boost-wheelsets

banner.jpg

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

Can you glue the spacers on?

yes you can do that, or also what Shane @canyoncycles in dripping springs did for me was used small pieces of large diameter shrink wrap to affix the boost adapter spacers to each side of the front axle. looks nice and works perfectly. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Seths Pool said:

yes you can do that, or also what Shane @canyoncycles in dripping springs did for me was used small pieces of large diameter shrink wrap to affix the boost adapter spacers to each side of the front axle. looks nice and works perfectly. 

dope mod.  Shane is awesome.

58 minutes ago, Seths Pool said:

That sounds like a great idea, need to track some of that down. In a real pinch I would think that even hose clamps could be used, but that is a pretty cheesy solution.

4 hours ago, AustinBike said:

That sounds like a great idea, need to track some of that down. In a real pinch I would think that even hose clamps could be used, but that is a pretty cheesy solution.

Let me know what diameter you need.  I have a long strip of it I had to buy for one use.  I only needed 1-2" of the stuff.

2 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

Is it not surprising to find someone who hails from a sketchy city up North boosting wheels in the ATX? :classic_rolleyes:

Actually when I lived in Chicago I looked out of my apartment window one night and someone was boosting my neighbors wheels. They were not happy about me banging on their door at 11:30 at night but that changed when I told them what was happening. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2019 at 10:45 AM, AustinBike said:

I need to do the same conversion.  The only issue I see is losing pieces when I switch wheelsets.  Have you spent any time on the bike since, and your thoughts now?

1 hour ago, Shakey Start said:

I need to do the same conversion.  The only issue I see is losing pieces when I switch wheelsets.  Have you spent any time on the bike since, and your thoughts now?

I can vouch for both front and rear boost adapter kits (I actually recommended this to austinbike) that they work fantastic. as long as you arent loosing the spacer(s) you'll never really be able to tell the difference, apart from having to re-dish the rear wheel (if you get the one-sided 6mm spacer for the 142 to 148mm conversion).

• Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 12:43 PM, Seths Pool said:

I can vouch for both front and rear boost adapter kits (I actually recommended this to austinbike) that they work fantastic. as long as you arent loosing the spacer(s) you'll never really be able to tell the difference, apart from having to re-dish the rear wheel (if you get the one-sided 6mm spacer for the 142 to 148mm conversion).

Thanks for the reply. So, (rear wheel) if I use a spacer on each side, the chain line will be off by 3mm, correct?  I was hoping not to re-dish because I use the wheelset on a non-boost bike also. I can see some problems a brewing (shifting), given my requirements.

7 minutes ago, Shakey Start said:

Thanks for the reply. So, (rear wheel) if I use a spacer on each side, the chain line will be off by 3mm, correct?  I was hoping not to re-dish because I use the wheelset on a non-boost bike also. I can see some problems a brewing (shifting), given my requirements.

I meant to address the rear wheel specifically but I forgot to..

I have always used (on numerous bikes) the single-sided 6mm spacer that would not effect the intended chainline of said frame. but to answer your question - yes, if you did use 3mm spacers on each side of the rear wheel, it would change your chainline by 3mm

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Seths Pool said:

I meant to address the rear wheel specifically but I forgot to..

I have always used (on numerous bikes) the single-sided 6mm spacer that would not effect the intended chainline of said frame. but to answer your question - yes, if you did use 3mm spacers on each side of the rear wheel, it would change your chainline by 3mm

Ok, makes sense now, but if your rear wheel is off center by 3mm, wouldn't you just go around in circles? 😉