IGNORED

STOLEN YETI SB150 - RECOVERED

stolen SB150 recovered last night by my good bros at Lakeline mall. 

local social media platforms had been flooded with the shared news of this bike having been stolen, and the dumbass who stole the bike posted it on craigslist the same day for sale WITH HIS PHONE NUMBER to text him. $3000. look at the ad. so another friend of ours started texting him as an interested buyer last night around 8:30PM. by 10:00 pm they arranged a meet up at Lakeline mall in north Austin to do the transaction, (im waiting on more specific details today from my two buddies who were there)and actually had the police intercept the buyer at the meeting point instead of meeting themselves. the idiot was arrested and my buddy Steven got his beloved brand new warranty replacement SB150 back. hadn't even been ridden!

like how fucking dumb are people? steal an $8k bike at the domain, and post it up on craigslist less than 10 miles away only a few hours later, and just be willing to freely meet up with whoever for the transaction. did he not think the owner would be looking for it? LOL 

im glad it turned out the way it did and the good guys won at the end of the night and my friend got his pride and joy back, im also glad I stayed home and didnt get involved and let the cops handle it. that was not my proposed plan at all. but we wont get into all of that. 

another thing was that the police department was trying to be all like "just meet up with him, do the deal and buy your bike back, then call us afterwards" like WTF? I basically had to make my friend call them back and get some seriousness and urgency about the matter since it was felony theft and they were about to meet up with the guy for their likely one shot to recovery the stolen property. not to mention the likelihood of something bad happening and their safety being jeopardized. so after they called the cops back, they did get officer(s) to intercept the the guy who stole the bike rather than having the victims try to handle it themselves. 

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 6.11.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 6.30.25 AM.png

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Seths Pool said:

and I laughed when I saw the CL ad still posted this morning before I made this post. of fourse idiot wasn't able to delete the CL ad after selling it. because he is in JAIL! 

Lots of fun to be had with his phone number.

• Like 1

Fortunately in this case, this guy doesn't seem to be a career bike thief. Hopefully this experience will serve as a STRONG wakeup call to get his life turned around (or at least make him not want to steal bikes anymore). I'm hoping his sentence is enough to correct him and not further send him towards a criminal lifestyle. I'd hate for his lesson from this be how to better do it next time especially as now he'll be in the company of much more experienced people.

Awesome that your friend got his bike back!

• Like 3

I hope this also serves as a wake up call to the actual owner of the bike that you don’t leave $8k worth of unridden bicycle on the back of your truck in a parking garage. Period. You could lock it up with a chain and pit bull and a real bike thief would have it in short order. Parking garages are secluded and I suspect one like that is not secure in any way.

That thief got what they deserved but you can’t make it that easy. It’s stealing if I left a $20 on my hood in a parking lot and someone took it. However, most people would call me an idiot for doing that instead of pointing out that it was indeed theft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Tree Magnet said:

You could lock it up with a chain

Remember kids, cable locks are good for securing your wheels or seatpost, not your whole bike. Most cables can be cut like warm butter. Hardened steel chain if you really love what you own.

If it wasn't so damn hot here, I would love to keep a pitbull in the camper of my truck guarding my bike!

I use a  Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain to lock the frame to my one up. A U lock to lock the one up to the hitch. I use cable locks to lock the wheels to the frame. Even with all that when we stop I make sure I can see my truck from the window. The locks only slow someone down for long enough for me to notice them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, crazyt said:

I use a  Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain to lock the frame to my one up. A U lock to lock the one up to the hitch. I use cable locks to lock the wheels to the frame. Even with all that when we stop I make sure I can see my truck from the window. The locks only slow someone down for long enough for me to notice them.

Exactly - and that includes when it's parked in my own front yard! 

1 hour ago, TAF said:

They'll break that U-Lock in seconds.

so what? The one up also has its proprietary connector and the chain and two cable locks lock the bike to the rack. As I said the goal is to slow someone down for enough time for me to catch them.

Edited by crazyt

Locks are to prevent relatively honest people from succumbing to the temptation of easy pickings.

Since the advent of cordless power tools with cutting wheels nearly every lock can be defeated in less than a minute by an industrious professional thief. With this fact firmly established, other methods of security, such as disassembly and storage inside the vehicle or taking it with you into a building are the only options remaining, short of hiring a security guard.

Familiarity breeds contempt. Doing the same thing successfully over and over in no way changes the fact that bikes are easily freed from the various locks currently offered. Effective security will never be convenient. The people selling the locks are as guilty as the thieves in the way they sell "peace of mind" knowing full well that their product is only the slightest of deterrents.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

having a good homeowners policy is a beautiful thing sometimes. check to make sure yours has coverage.

Yep, and if it does have coverage, check the deductible.  Many HO policies have a 1% of home value deductible, so if your house is worth 200k, that's a 2k deductible, which may not cover much.  Also check to see if it covers replacement value or actual value.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fontarin said:

Yep, and if it does have coverage, check the deductible.  Many HO policies have a 1% of home value deductible, so if your house is worth 200k, that's a 2k deductible, which may not cover much.  Also check to see if it covers replacement value or actual value.

We ran into this with our insurance when the movers stole some jewelry. Luckily USAA has always been easy to work with and actually waived our deductible in that situation.,

On 4/12/2019 at 7:06 AM, Ridenfool said:

Locks are to prevent relatively honest people from succumbing to the temptation of easy pickings.

Since the advent of cordless power tools with cutting wheels nearly every lock can be defeated in less than a minute by an industrious professional thief. With this fact firmly established, other methods of security, such as disassembly and storage inside the vehicle or taking it with you into a building are the only options remaining, short of hiring a security guard.

Familiarity breeds contempt. Doing the same thing successfully over and over in no way changes the fact that bikes are easily freed from the various locks currently offered. Effective security will never be convenient. The people selling the locks are as guilty as the thieves in the way they sell "peace of mind" knowing full well that their product is only the slightest of deterrents.

I used to bring my singlespeed into my office on tuesdays rather than leave it on my car. Someone would always say cool bike, what does that cost and then shit a brick when I tell them the price (they lived in the world of $150 cheap bikes).

If anyone ever gave me shit about rolling the bike through the office, I’d casually ask them what their company insurance covers for thefts in their parking lot. That always stopped the security guards at dell when they got huffy about me bringing the bike into the building. Also works with hotel security guards. 

• Like 2