IGNORED

And here I thought they'd call it Bentonville...

1 hour ago, notyal said:

Sure must be exhausting being right all the time.

All hail! The great defender of shitty bikes!

Oy vey... Yet another one with a dishonest straw man attack.

Is there any honest person out there?

Every once in a while I eat hot dogs at SamsClub, and Costco... Shitty food, but cheap, and I enjoy eating them. They serve their purpose.

Shoot, in New York City there are quite possibly millions of hot dogs sold every week. Maybe even every day. And The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council estimates Americans consume 20-billion hot dogs a year. That's about 70 hot dogs per person each year.

And it's a fact... Hot dogs are bad for you. Meaning, hot dogs are, get this... Shitty food.

Ever seen a parent giving their kid one to eat?

If so, do you think that parent hates their kid?

Ever go to a sports event?

See if this is clear to you...

Sometimes... Shitty..." is... Well... Relative.

But let's get back to 20 milion shitty-food hot dogs being consumed...

Some business people in NYC pay over $200,000 for a vendor cart license to sell hot dogs in the city. That's over $200,000, just for the license... For a hot dog cart on a street.

Why would business people do that?

Do you think it's because they like to give their money away... Or do you think it's because they can make money?

Walmart, to my knowledge, has never claimed to sell great bikes. They simply see themselves as selling affordable bikes.

Affordable to folks who may not have a lot of money.

Not everyone is able to make enough money to afford anything they want. And even less make enough money to afford a quarter of what they want.

And then there are some — the majority actually — that struggle just to get by.

And here you are... Pointing a finger at these folks... Mocking them by stating they are riding (or giving their children to ride) "...shitty bikes...".

Does that make you feel like a big person, notyal?

When did mountain bike riders become the stuck-up pretentious assholes that was the domain of a certain set of road bike riders.

Edited by RidingAgain

9 minutes ago, notyal said:

Like I said, sure must be exhausting being right all the time. 

I love hot dogs, btw. I have no beef with them. 

"...Like I said..."

LOL...

Are you able to see the irony in your own above speaking, notyal?

Let me know if you need help to do so.

Edited by RidingAgain

8 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I'm exhausted from just reading all that rambling. Hot dogs are gross, but strawman.

A straw man is a form of argument and an informal fallacy based of giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent.

It's only fun for you. It's assinine, sophomoric, and irritating to everyone else. It's like talking to an 11 year old boy all hopped up on Mountain Dew and in that "I'm right and everyone is wrong" stage. I know, I was the kid... when I was 11.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

That's what we were all hoping would not happen. Bartman, and your rants.

I watched the videos above with the guy who customized the Hyper Carbon X. I am glad he did that for the sake of documenting it, but it sounds like a waste of time for general riding. It sounds like the bike was predicatably sucky at first. He managed to spend as much on that project as a decent modern bike would cost, but only because he had a bunch of spare parts to use already. Unless you have a bike parts boneyard and really like to tinker like that, it sounds like a money pit and a waste of time.

16 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I watched the videos above with the guy who customized the Hyper Carbon X. I am glad he did that for the sake of documenting it, but it sounds like a waste of time for general riding. It sounds like the bike was predicatably sucky at first. He managed to spend as much on that project as a decent modern bike would cost, but only because he had a bunch of spare parts to use already. Unless you have a bike parts boneyard and really like to tinker like that, it sounds like a money pit and a waste of time.

As attested to in the multi-million/billion aftermarket upgrade parts industry, upgrading your bike is all part of the biking culture.

Shoot, even you have done the same.

Was in more worthwhile because you did it to a bike that cost more than a thousand dollars, and not worthwhile for this guy because he did it to a bike that only cost $299?

Isn't it about getting the bike to a place where you are enjoying it?

Or is there some law against spending your own money to do what makes you happy (and we're talking bike upgrades here)?

Here's how the fella from the video puts it...

"...pay-as-you go platform, if you need a bike to ride, but can only afford to upgrade as you go..."

Edited by RidingAgain

It sounds like he spent $400 on the bike, then replaced the wheels, fork, brakes, cranks/ BB, handlebar, grips, shifter, derailer, cassette, chain, etc (basically everything but the frame and a few minor parts) at a cost that was close to what a decent new bike would have cost. He was only able to keep costs down because he already had some of the parts laying around unused. It would have cost most people a lot more than that.

I the process, he voided the warranty and ended up with a flexy, heavy bike with mediocre parts, and a pile of parts that most people would throw in the trash rather than taking the time to find a use for them. He enjoys riding it and that's great. But anyone interested in spending a similar amount of money could get a better bike for the same, probably less money.

Sure, there's upgraditis in the culture, but the flip side of that culture is the half-assed "built not bought" culture of people who slap together junk and tell themselves it's better because they "made" it. There's a happy medium- buy mid-range decent stuff and be happy with it rather than putting lipstick on a pig.

There's no law against that, but it does make one look foolish. Anyone is just as free to make stupid decisions as I am free to judge them for it. The video was an interesting experiment, but not a good prescription for the average person to take on.

Edited by mack_turtle

So you think this fella's Carbon-X — a bike the he prefers to ride over his Trek X-Caliber (that according to Trek's website is "...a high-value cross country mountain bike that performs way out of its class on singletrack and long XC rides. It has a lightweight aluminum frame, quality parts, and more versatility than you can shake spoke at. Whether you’re lining up at the local XC races or chasing daylight after work, this bike will give you speed and efficiency for your best days on the trail...") — is a "...pig..." that he put lipstick on.

And BTW...

Treks X-Caliber frame is aluminium and costs $599 (presently, about $200 more that the X-Carbon complete bike).

And the cheapest complete Trek X-Caliber ($1,000), comes with Shimano Acera-X components, that includes what looks like a 7-speed drive train.

This fella has Shimano SLX 10-speed, which would put it in the category of Trek's $1,600 X-Caliber... Meaning... A bike that sells for $500 more (but it does though come with a slightly better fork).

Edited by RidingAgain