IGNORED

And here I thought they'd call it Bentonville...

Most people would be far better off saving their money and buying something that does not require doubling the cost to make it not suck.

If I may, this tells me a lot about our culture. People feel entitled to buy whatever they want right now and settle for cheap junk rather than save for it and buy some better the first time. 

Penny wise, pound poor

Buy once cry once

That never sinks in. There is no such thing as "cheap food" or a cheap bike. Corners are cut to lower the price, but we pay for it one way or another in the long run.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

So you think this fella's Carbon-X — a bike the he prefers to ride over his Trek X-Caliber (that according to Trek's website is "...a high-value cross country mountain bike that performs way out of its class on singletrack and long XC rides. It has a lightweight aluminum frame, quality parts, and more versatility than you can shake spoke at. Whether you’re lining up at the local XC races or chasing daylight after work, this bike will give you speed and efficiency for your best days on the trail...") — is a "...pig..." that he put lipstick on.

And BTW...

Treks X-Caliber frame is aluminium and costs $599 (presently, about $200 more that the X-Carbon complete bike).

And the cheapest complete Trek X-Caliber ($1,000), comes with Shimano Acera-X components, that includes what looks like a 7-speed drive train.

This fella has Shimano SLX 10-speed, which would put it in the category of Trek's $1,600 X-Caliber... Meaning... A bike that sells for $500 more (but it does though come with a slightly better fork).

Yes, that project is the perfect application of the colloquialism regarding cosmetics and hogs.

The $1k X-Cal comes from a bike shop with Shimano hydros, wide-ish handlebar, a 2x9 drivetrain with a clutch-equipped derailer, a tapered fork, etc. And you get to keep your warranty if you change anything. Twice the price for four times the value.

Anyrational person would be better off saving pennies for another month or two and buy something like that than buy a POS that needs to be torn down and rebuilt in order to have brakes that work, a rear axle that won't snap when you sneeze on it (ever seen a freewheel-equipped bike with a snapped axle? I've seen dozens), a fork with rebound adjustment, and a drivetrain that's not machined out of a block of soft cheese.

3 minutes ago, notyal said:

Did you buy a carbon bike at Dollar Tree? 

I joked about that in the facebook comments.

but no - in summary - 

I went there on my lunch break to get some super random little cheap things after I ate at a closely thundercloud subs before going back to work

the cashier literally starts digging in the back of his mouth with his index finger, pulls it out of his mouth COVERED in spit and disgusting chunky white stuff, and proceeds to touch ALL of my merchandise with his oral-chunk covered finger as he rings it all up and bags it for me. i returned later that day and exchanged the whole bag of shit for the same items that his nasty ass didn't smear mouth chunks all over. also called corporate.

made we wanna puke, kinda like this thread!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

Sure, there's upgraditis in the culture, but the flip side of that culture is the half-assed "built not bought" culture of people who slap together junk and tell themselves it's better because they "made" it.

This is not to be underestimated.  I used to watch a cheesy but entertaining Canadian auto show called "Sports Car Revolution" that had a segment called "Dyno Truth or Dare."  In here they had all sorts of people come with their highly customized cars.  This dude spent $80k "souping up" and customizing his Prelude.  I think it dynoed at 250HP.  He could have bought a nice 911 for that money. He was CRUSHED and defiant.

Edited by AntonioGG
Added name of the segment
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

Most people would be far better off saving their money and buying something that does not require doubling the cost to make it not suck.

If I may, this tells me a lot about our culture. People feel entitled to buy whatever they want right now and settle for cheap junk rather than save for it and buy some better the first time. 

Penny wise, pound poor

Buy once cry once

That never sinks in. There is no such thing as "cheap food" or a cheap bike. Corners are cut to lower the price, but we pay for it one way or another in the long run.

What?

You smoking something that's playing with your mind, mack_turtle?

What's wrong with today's culture is not saving to buy better stuff than what you want?

Maybe it didn't come out how you meant to say it.

Are you trying to draw a parallel to the "...want it right away no matter the cost..." attitude of people?

The fella who did those videos... Get this... Chose to ride his Walmart bike... Over... His Trek X-Caliber.

It was his choice to ride the Wally bike over the Trek.

Meaning, he had the more expensive bike, but chose to ride the cheaper bike.

And lots of people don't just go out and buy cheap bikes... They buy cheap used bikes that when new were expensive.

Then...

When they figure out that they like riding, they may save to buy something more expensive.

It's called "...level up..." in today's vernacular.

And by the way...

"Penny wise, pound foolish" can be applied to any situation... Including buying a bike for $50, versus buying one for $400.

Or... Buying a bike for $8,000, versus buying one for $5,000.

It's not the price, it's the disposition of trying to cut corners in order to save a few pennies.

But a person who can only afford a $400 bike isn't necessarily trying to cut corners to save money. They may simply be doing the best they can with what they have.

And by "...best..."... Best for what they want. Not everyone wants to put $1,000 in a bicycle they are going to use maybe just a few times a month.

And, just for good measure...

"A penny saved is a penny earned."

2 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

Yes, that project is the perfect application of the colloquialism regarding cosmetics and hogs.

The $1k X-Cal comes from a bike shop with Shimano hydros, wide-ish handlebar, a 2x9 drivetrain with a clutch-equipped derailer, a tapered fork, etc. And you get to keep your warranty if you change anything. Twice the price for four times the value.

Anyrational person would be better off saving pennies for another month or two and buy something like that than buy a POS that needs to be torn down and rebuilt in order to have brakes that work, a rear axle that won't snap when you sneeze on it (ever seen a freewheel-equipped bike with a snapped axle? I've seen dozens), a fork with rebound adjustment, and a drivetrain that's not machined out of a block of soft cheese.

You've got to be kidding.

Do you normally make things up as you go along?

• Confused 1

I'm still offended over how many times RA called hot dogs "shitty food". Sure, the Great Value franks from Walmart are not going to give the same flavor and mouthfeel of, say, a Hebrew National, but don't hate on people because they can't afford a premium frank. A well cooked Great Value weiner on a upgraded bun can be pretty enjoyable with the proper condiments. However, to mack turtle's point, there is only so much lipstick you can put on a pig - unless of course that lipstick is chili and cheese, but at that point, is the hotdog or the chili really the star of the dish?

But we all know they are best on a grill

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

This is not to be underestimated.  I used to watch a cheesy but entertaining Canadian auto show called "Sports Car Revolution" that had a segment called "Dyno Truth or Dare."  In here they had all sorts of people come with their highly customized cars.  This dude spent $80k "souping up" and customizing his Prelude.  I think it dynoed at 250HP.  He could have bought a nice 911 for that money. He was CRUSHED and defiant.

Really...

Someone really spent $80,000 to make a Honda Prelude "souped up"?

You buying that?

1 hour ago, RidingAgain said:

You've got to be kidding.

Do you normally make things up as you go along?

Color me confused. What part of that did I make up? Tourney cheese is a real, patented Shimano technology. Just watch that video of his "drop test." What else could that derailer be made from?

Hyperbole aside, did I make a factual mistake? Maybe I misread the spec list on that X-Cal.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1