IGNORED

And here I thought they'd call it Bentonville...

5 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

"...Like I said..."

LOL...

Are you able to see the irony in your own above speaking, notyal?

Let me know if you need help to do so.

1 hour ago, RidingAgain said:

You are too easily offended.

As I said... Hot dogs are "...shitty" food... But I eat them.

As I do potato chips.

"...As I said..."

LOL...

Are you able to see the irony in your own above speaking, RidingAgain?

I'm still waiting for you to explain irony to me.

1 hour ago, notyal said:

"...As I said..."

LOL...

Are you able to see the irony in your own above speaking, RidingAgain?

I'm still waiting for you to explain irony to me.

No irony in my speaking... I'm not offended by things said on these forum threads.

Shoot, if I was I wouldn't be able to do my job.

As for irony... Here you go...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony

1 hour ago, Cafeend said:

And with quality buns. They make a difference.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

As a kid my family owned a house near a beach on the North coast of Jamaica. The beach had a little clubhouse with a little restaurant that was managed by a old man named Clifford. I always loved eating hotdogs from Clifford as he would steam the rolls. Funny how you remember things like that.

Here's the place... That's the clubhouse, still there after maybe 40+ years.

276c61f81af57459a157193c2e56b1e2.jpg

Edited by RidingAgain

I just had a strange thought. Now, I don't know all the details regarding the whole distributor and minimum pricing rules, so let me know if I'm way off. Here's my understanding. Local shops have to buy from a distributor (QBP). QBP sets a minimum price that shops must follow. Bike manufacturers and foreign internet shops can buy directly from the component companies, which is why you can ALWAYS find the same part at a fraction of the cost online. 

Now that Walmart is a bike manufacturing company, and they are already kings of distribution, will they be able to sell good bikes parts online or even in the store at a competitive price as the foreign online retailers? Will I be able to go down to Wallyworld and pick up a new XTR chain and a pack of hotdogs?

• Like 1

And do your banking... And get your hair cut... And get your eyes checked... And have a Big Mac... And get your car brakes changed... Etc., etc...

The folks at Wallyworld are clued in on how to build community with their customer base.

SNAFU bike stuff (of BMX fame) is now in Walmart... I just bought a pair of lock-on grips that initially look great — for $10. And the fella in the video says they've served him well.

I remember way back in the mid-'90s buying a pair of LeMond riding shorts at a Walmart... I still have them.

My point being... Walmart has had a history of trying to enter into the biking business, beyond selling cheap bikes, for many years now... But it seems they always just put a toe in the water and then pulled it back out. But I think things may have now changed, given the grandson's MTB interests, and the growing market. And why not... As I said in an earlier comment, they are uniquely positioned to develop mass-market bike consumers into long-term level-up customers.

Edited by RidingAgain

1 hour ago, RidingAgain said:

SNAFU bike stuff (of BMX fame) is now in Walmart... I just bought a pair of lock-on grips that initially look great — for $10. And the fella in the video says they've served him well.

I'll never get over the image of old fart McGoo deep-throating one of his company's plastic axle pegs.

2 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

Seems Walmart has entered the roadbike world too...

Just a day or so after you posted the OP link, I looked up the Viathon website. At that time, they already had mountain, gravel and road bike. My first though was, "those gravel bikes look pretty good." My second thought was to check the warranty. Aaaaaaaand nope. 

2 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

This comment by the author of the above article...

"But I’m a little mystified that the mountain bike is a cross-country hardtail 29er, a style of bike that’s pretty out of fashion at the moment."

Really?

I can't think of anyone I ride with on the reg' who has a bike contemporary with the Viathon mountain bike. Basically race geo CF hardtail. 

12 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

This comment by the author of the above article...

"But I’m a little mystified that the mountain bike is a cross-country hardtail 29er, a style of bike that’s pretty out of fashion at the moment."

Really?

I would agree with this statement. The average mountain biker is not gong out to buy a race geo hartdtail with no dropper. Not to say people are not buying them, but the majority of people are buying a more trail oriented geo bike.

4 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

With so much info out there, and local feedback at their fingertips, I wonder what made the powers behind the designers go with a XC-geo design?

That's a good question. The only thing I can think of is recognition and visibility for their brand. The fastest way for them to get that is to have a pro racing their rig. That's not going to happen if their rig is trail oriented instead of race oriented. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barry said:

That's a good question. The only thing I can think of is recognition and visibility for their brand. The fastest way for them to get that is to have a pro racing their rig. That's not going to happen if their rig is trail oriented instead of race oriented. 

My thoughts exactly. I also think that R&D time for and xc rig is much less than that of a trail/FS rig. XC geo has not changed much in recent years so it was probably pretty easy to get a hold of a design/mold to begin fabbing these and get them to market. I would expect a trail bike in the not too distant future.

It would also seem that they hired a road bike guy to build a mountain bike. That's gonna produce a carbon xc hardtail every time.

"Viathon’s M.1 is designed and engineered by Kevin Quan. Kevin Quan worked at Cervelo from 2003-2008 before starting his own design studio and his clients have included Diamondback, BH, Accell Group and more in the past decade."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been rolling this matter around in my mind... And while doing some research for my own little project, I came across this bit of info... I thought it related...

Thinking about a VENN diagram for it and Walmart's possible interest in all those millions of potential — or maybe even existing — customers.

Screenshot+2017-12-02+11.22.47.png

What's the context of that data? What country?

Also, "bicycling" means pedaling around the block on whatever bike people happen to have around. It's also what they might have told a pollster they do. I know a lot of people who are "into" various activities but actually participate in them once every few months.

38 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

The squiggly pixels at the bottom barely read "millions of adult American participants".

It'd be nice if they quantified the activities a bit, like once a month or week, something like that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

Also, "bicycling" means pedaling around the block on whatever bike people happen to have around. It's also what they might have told a pollster they do. I know a lot of people who are "into" various activities but actually participate in them once every few months.

Check the small print at the bottom... (millions of American participants).

And yes... For sure it can be including people who are not active more than a few times a month... If that.

But I don't know the parameters of the research.