IGNORED

Peddlers Pass - Major Building

1 minute ago, RedRider3141 said:

Awesome! Can't wait to ride the results!

A couple of questions:

1. What's the approximate schedule for completion?
  2. How do we best stay out of their way? Just stay on the East Side?

The estimated construction time is three weeks. They are working on the West side of Parmer first. Every effort will be made to keep the trail open, just not the area they are working on. If they finish the West side before the three-week deadline they will move East of Parmer.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GFisher said:

Curious what is taking place there. I guess I don't understand the concept of machine built trail very well but it looks kind of like a step backwards at first glance

It will be a huge step forward. A machine can sculpt a trail much better than hand tools. The features will be bigger and more fun than we could ever hope to do by hand. A machine can also fix drainage problems we can't fix by hand. 

• Like 5

PSA for the building on Peddlers Pass:

Yesterday there were people trying to ride the new section while the machines were operating...really...have a little common sense...the guy operating the digger can't see or hear you. The last thing he wants is to hurt someone that can't control the urge to stay off the trail. 

Also, don't ride on the new stuff until it's ready. Last night after the builders stopped working a lot of people went around the barricades and signs. Be patient. If you ride on a section before it's finished you could be unknowingly screwing something up causing the builders to go back and fix that section you just rode on instead of moving forward to the next part of the trail. Some of the people I saw doing it last night know better.

3 hours ago, 4fun said:

I’ll be there Saturday at 9:00 to volunteer! Any chainsaw work available? Just bought a lithium battery powered saw and am anxious to try it out!

All work planned for Saturday is rock / dirt work. You can use your new chainsaw for that if you REALLY want to. For some reason, I think your chainsaw will last longer and work better if you don't.

BTW - I have one too. I find it to be a VERY handy tool. Just not for this workday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RidingAgain said:

Interested to see if, and how, the outside slope will be shored up.

What I see is beautiful trail building skill. If they build up the outside of the trail there it will create a drainage problem.

Here is a slide from a PowerPoint presentation on sustainable trails. The picture on the left is from the IMBA Trail Solutions book. Many people may recognize the picture on the right.

Sustainable Trails.jpg

3 minutes ago, cxagent said:

What I see is beautiful trail building skill. If they build up the outside of the trail there it will create a drainage problem.

Here is a slide from a PowerPoint presentation on sustainable trails. The picture on the left is from the IMBA Trail Solutions book. Many people may recognize the picture on the right.

Sustainable Trails.jpg

Dang, that's a thing of beauty! I guess it's been a while since I've been down that way.  Me thinks Chardog was involved in this to some degree?