IGNORED

Peddlers Pass - Major Building

1 hour ago, Skyyhorn said:

How does this rain affect the machine build?  I realize they aren't out there right now while it's storming, but do they have to wait for the trail to dry some before proceeding?  

-Scott

I believe they are going to try and get back out there Thursday afternoon.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HoneyBadger said:

Don't worry, they've done this before, or did they just stay at a Holiday Inn last night?

I guess it just went completely over your head, HoneyBadger.

I wasn't questioning if they had the knowledge to do it...

I'm just interested to see if they will, and if so, how they do it.

So I can learn what's required.

Hope that helps.

22 hours ago, cxagent said:

What I see is beautiful trail building skill. If they build up the outside of the trail there it will create a drainage problem.

Here is a slide from a PowerPoint presentation on sustainable trails. The picture on the left is from the IMBA Trail Solutions book. Many people may recognize the picture on the right.

Sustainable Trails.jpg

I saw the runoffs to take water off the trail... That's clear enough... But that wasn't what I was asking about.

I was asking about the outside of the trail... The graded part on the non-riding downhill side of the trail that is a result of the trail building effort.

In the example you gave from IMBA it looks like it is for a trail built into the side of an existing downhill slope. But the photo of the current build shows, what I believe to be, a trail build that has a man-made trail with an outside slope that is not a part of the existing natural slope. Meaning, that dirt may have been recently added on top of the natural slope, which I would think makes it susceptible to erosion.

Additionally... The IMBA illustration doesn't show a creek running alongside the trail, and it seems that this trail has a creek running alongside it, which I would think may add to the possibility of erosion.

In your photo of the trail at Walnut Creek, there is obvious shoring up of the trail. This is what I was interested to see if, and how the same would be handled with the current PP build.

Edited by RidingAgain

Don't forget the big workday on Peddlers Pass. It's 9:00 am tomorrow. Meet at Brushy Creek Lake Park, 3300 Brushy Creek Rd, Cedar Park, TX 78613 (by the splash pad). We need as many people as possible to help with the Big Dig of 2019. Come see what the machines have done so far and be part of creating a one of a kind trail in Texas.

Edited by HoneyBadger

19 minutes ago, Ole creeky knees said:

I’ll be there. Already sent RSVP. I live very close so let me know if I should bring tools. I have a wheelbarrow, a gorilla wagon, shovels, rakes, a pick and a really heavy tamping bar if rock breaking is required (hopefully tamping bar not needed, I wasn’t planning on working quite that hard). 

All those tools would be awesome. Thank you...hopefully the rock bar wont be needed.

More info and sign up on Meetup at - 

Ignore the message saying this event was cancelled. Charlie posted that message to the wrong event (Friday was cancelled - not Saturday).

Important points -

Wear closed toed shoes. Shorts are fine. Bring gloves if you have them (we always run out of gloves).

Bring any tools you want to work with. Most work will be 'dirt work'. Shovels, wheel barrows, rakes etc are tools expected. Loppers and saws not so much.

Bring water. Camelbak works best but water bottles will work too.

You can stay as long or short as you want. If you get there late we can make it work but it means we have to keep doing waivers and safety talks instead of working.

If you need TMBRA PayDirt - bring your PayDirt form. We will have some forms but always run out. Even if we run out of forms I will get you credit for PayDirt hours. If you don't already know what PayDirt is - you don't need it. Similar for Scouts, Honor Societies, etc.

Most of all  - have fun. Most people find trail building to be both tiring and fun. You get to see some of what goes into trail building and then you get to ride the fruit of your labor. Even volunteers who have never built trail enjoy the experience.

We will check this page again tonight but not on Saturday.

1 hour ago, Ole creeky knees said:

I live very close so let me know if I should bring tools. I have a wheelbarrow, a gorilla wagon, shovels, rakes, a pick and a really heavy tamping bar if rock breaking is required (hopefully tamping bar not needed, I wasn’t planning on working quite that hard). 

Second HoneyBadger. Wheelbarrow and gorilla wagon would be really helpful and save me a trip to get tools. Rock bar should NOT be needed.

Mark your tools so you get the right ones back.

Sorry I'm gonna miss this work day(Tournament weekend). Can someone please take my turn at standing around holding up a Mcleod?

Seriously though, I hope you have a big turnout of help. If it's even a small fraction of the actual regular users of this trail, it should be a lot!

• Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 10:05 AM, RidingAgain said:

I saw the runoffs to take water off the trail... That's clear enough... But that wasn't what I was asking about.

I was asking about the outside of the trail... The graded part on the non-riding downhill side of the trail that is a result of the trail building effort.

In the example you gave from IMBA it looks like it is for a trail built into the side of an existing downhill slope. But the photo of the current build shows, what I believe to be, a trail build that has a man-made trail with an outside slope that is not a part of the existing natural slope. Meaning, that dirt may have been recently added on top of the natural slope, which I would think makes it susceptible to erosion.

Additionally... The IMBA illustration doesn't show a creek running alongside the trail, and it seems that this trail has a creek running alongside it, which I would think may add to the possibility of erosion.

In your photo of the trail at Walnut Creek, there is obvious shoring up of the trail. This is what I was interested to see if, and how the same would be handled with the current PP build. 

Buy: https://www.amazon.com/Trail-Solutions-IMBAs-Building-Singletrack/dp/0975502301

That will teach you all you need to know.

• Like 2