IGNORED

Peddlers Pass - Major Building

Rowan - it sounds like you have the potential to have a lot of people show up tomorrow. I don’t want to speak out of turn but if you haven’t already done it, break down everything you want to get done into chunks of work that can be handled by 4 to 5 person crews. This will let you maximize what gets done with all this muscle and minimize the ‘supervising’ and shovel propping that takes place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, HoneyBadger said:

KVUE news will be doing a story about The Peddlers Pass volunteer day during their 5:00pm broadcast this evening.

It was good PR. Any time "mountain bike trails" are mentioned as being good helps the cause.

"They started as basically old game trails and then the bikers started connecting them."

Love it. Isn't that how ALL trails get made? That's my story and I'm sticking to it at least. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, The Tip said:

It was good PR. Any time "mountain bike trails" are mentioned as being good helps the cause.

"They started as basically old game trails and then the bikers started connecting them."

Love it. Isn't that how ALL trails get made? That's my story and I'm sticking to it at least. 

I thought it was great that they discussed the trail work day.

Walked out there on foot to see all the nice work. Noticed trail was very wet and water standing in low spots. All of a sudden a mtb rider on an old crappy no suspension bike came by me on the trail. I thought surely he would turn around after riding thru some soft mud and water holes. Nope, kept going and could care less about the damage he was doing. Ugh.

That book has become the "standard' for trail building. Even the federal government (National Park Service, US Forest Service, etc.) have picked up the info and published as their own. If you don't want to spend a few bucks and get the info in book form, you can most of it as downloads from sites like https://www.nps.gov/noco/learn/management/ncttrailconstructionmanual1.htm Google "trail building information" and start following links. One link to make sure you find is http://gt.nohvcc.org/ from our friends with motors.

Personally, I would rather throw a few bucks to IMBA and get the book.

Edited by cxagent
  • Like 4

That book has become the "standard' for trail building. Even the federal government (National Park Service, US Forest Service, etc.) have picked up the info and published as their own. If you don't want to spend a few bucks and get the info in book form, you can most of it as downloads from sites like https://www.nps.gov/noco/learn/management/ncttrailconstructionmanual1.htm Google "trail building information" and start following links. One link to make sure you find is http://gt.nohvcc.org/ from our friends with motors.
Personally, I would rather throw a few bucks to IMBA and get the book.

It is the "bible" for many agencies and organizations for building trail

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Does anyone have any pics from the workday they can post? I didn’t think to take before and after pics of the berms we built. I didn’t have a chance to go look at what everyone else did. And I haven’t had a chance to get back out there. 

1 hour ago, JMR said:

Does anyone have any pics from the workday they can post? I didn’t think to take before and after pics of the berms we built. I didn’t have a chance to go look at what everyone else did. And I haven’t had a chance to get back out there. 

Didn’t take many photos but I did get a pic of the compact excavator doing its thing. Truly amazing to watch - I want one 🤪! Berms were built in 5 minutes or less. I had a lot of fun, hope to be a part of more days like this in the future. Thanks to all who helped organize and to all the other volunteers.

F2213D5F-283A-4F96-893E-55816C2D870E.jpeg

25213C48-C0F3-4DEA-BCC0-CA0878FEB377.jpeg

Edited by BRAZOS1845
  • Thanks 1

A big thank you to everyone that showed up (at least 30 people) to help build on Saturday. So much was accomplished.  We have one more big build day this Saturday, May 4th at 9:00 am. Meet by the splash pad at Brushy Creek Lake Park, 3300 Brushy Creek Road, Cedar Park. 78613. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2019 at 7:26 PM, trailrider77 said:

Walked out there on foot to see all the nice work. Noticed trail was very wet and water standing in low spots. All of a sudden a mtb rider on an old crappy no suspension bike came by me on the trail. I thought surely he would turn around after riding thru some soft mud and water holes. Nope, kept going and could care less about the damage he was doing. Ugh.

did you say something? 

13 hours ago, JMR said:

Here are some pictures from someone who remembered to take some (I never remember to take pictures.).

Safety talk (only part of the volunteers shown).

Safety.jpeg

Before -

4 Before.jpeg

During-

CMC Berm.jpeg

Crew at the end -

CMC Crew.jpeg

New berm from one direction -

4 After.jpeg

New berm from the other direction -

4 After 1.jpeg

Edited by cxagent
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I went for a brief ride this morning to try out the new berms, and they are awesome. We'll be carrying more speed through that trail now. I didn't ride the whole of PP because of the ongoing work, but I did ride just the western side from Parmer to the first tree gate/root drop. If that's a taste of what's to come for PP, I WANT SOME.

The valleys of the eastern-PP rollers have some soggy muck yet. What can we do for drainage on those? Infill a bit?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brentb said:

The valleys of the eastern-PP rollers have some soggy muck yet. What can we do for drainage on those? Infill a bit?

Infill won't help. Drainage is the answer. There has to be somewhere for the water to go other than just sit there until it soaks in.

Without writing a book, here are the solutions -

Prevent water from getting into the rollers. Sometimes water can be diverted from reaching the low spots. Make sure the water is not directed to the low spots.

Make the water soak in faster. Sand soils work best for this. Our black clay soil is really good at holding water. (They actually use a form of clay  called Bentonite to prevent water from 'leaking' out of ponds.) Sometimes a layer of small rocks (golf ball and smaller) can be put in the bottom for a short term solution. But it is only a matter of time before the rocks are filled with dirt and it is back where it started.

Get the water to drain faster. Drain the low spots out the side. Sometimes a drain pipe can be added to get water out of the low spots. But either way means there is a lower spot near by.

16 minutes ago, cxagent said:

Infill won't help. Drainage is the answer. There has to be somewhere for the water to go other than just sit there until it soaks in.

Without writing a book, here are the solutions -

Prevent water from getting into the rollers. Sometimes water can be diverted from reaching the low spots. Make sure the water is not directed to the low spots.

Make the water soak in faster. Sand soils work best for this. Our black clay soil is really good at holding water. (They actually use a form of clay  called Bentonite to prevent water from 'leaking' out of ponds.) Sometimes a layer of small rocks (golf ball and smaller) can be put in the bottom for a short term solution. But it is only a matter of time before the rocks are filled with dirt and it is back where it started.

Get the water to drain faster. Drain the low spots out the side. Sometimes a drain pipe can be added to get water out of the low spots. But either way means there is a lower spot near by.

I already have a plan to address this. The solution is partly listed above in #3. With the dry summer months approaching it's starting to move down the list of priorities.