IGNORED

Oz Trails Off-Road - Bentonville

notyal

31 minutes ago, csmceuen said:

Anyone know of good camping in the area? I can not seem to find much in the way of primitive camping. Hoping for some secret spot maybe? I am going in November and was hoping to not have to spring for an AirBnB.

I'm pretty sure you camp right in the mix in Blowing springs which puts you in the middle of a sweet trail system and a few hundred yards form the start of the Back 40. 

https://www.goodsam.com/campgrounds-rv-parks/arkansas/bella-vista/blowing-springs-rv-park-201301143/

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, FJsnoozer said:

I'm pretty sure you camp right in the mix in Blowing springs which puts you in the middle of a sweet trail system and a few hundred yards form the start of the Back 40. 

https://www.goodsam.com/campgrounds-rv-parks/arkansas/bella-vista/blowing-springs-rv-park-201301143/

From what I understand they only have 11 tent spots available which is pretty limited and I dont think you can reserve them. Kind of a big gamble when making an 8 hour drive. On the bright side I read that they were adding a whole campground to Coler in the next phase.

26 minutes ago, csmceuen said:

From what I understand they only have 11 tent spots available which is pretty limited and I dont think you can reserve them. Kind of a big gamble when making an 8 hour drive. On the bright side I read that they were adding a whole campground to Coler in the next phase.

Good to know. I have never seen a single person camping there when I have gone and there has been tons of RV availability.  I would give them a call. 

There are some VERY cheap and NICE air bnb as well in prime location just above ozone. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

Ive been tempted to go up and use my trailer and camp. But it is a shortish drive and the Air BnBs and Homeaways are tempting so a trailer isnt economical all things considered. But I like it and it is relaxing.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Yeah, if you can get a couple other riders and split it 3 or 4 ways, getting an Airbnb is no-brainer. There are a ton of options for $100-$150 per night. You get a whole 3/2 house with actual toilets and showers, full kitchen, everyone get a bedroom, garage to store and work on bikes, and a backyard to drink beer in. That's hard to beat.

• Like 2

You might be able to camp at Hobbs state park outside Rogers which is right by lake Atlanta and like a 30 min drive from Bentonville. Well Rogers is I think, Hobbs might be a little further out. Hobbs has some super flowy underrated riding imo too.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

+1 on Back 40.  Amazing ride - nothing really technical (other than Ledges at a intermediate level) but some amazing flow and just fun.  Climbs aren't difficult either so you can really keep the pace up. 

Hobbs State Park had some good trail too (again, easy compared to what we usually ride) and a nice fun descent but you really had to pay for it afterwards with a climb.

Coler has some great stuff but was unfortunately a little wet on the day I went which made me a bit hesitant.  Lots of rocky stuff here and some fun descents - you start from the Hub at the top into some fun downhill trails.  Copperhead and Rock Solid (I think that's the name) will remind you of technical riding in Austin.

Slaughter Pen is easy to get to and has some fun stuff.

The paved trail that goes all the way thru town is pretty good for getting around too.  I rode from Bella Vista area where we were staying all the way into Bentonville on it - super nice and easy ride with little climbing.

I didn't get a chance to hit Kessler when I was there.  Planning on going back next spring.

Edited by fontarin
  • Like 1

I’m riding in this event and have ridden Ouachita area (Womble, LOViT) but never ridden in Bentonville. What tires would those with experience recommend?

I’m going to try and complete the 50 mile event and I’m 200lb without gear. I ride FS 29er and current setup is DHF 2.5 front and Nobby Nic 2.6 on rear. Have available - Bonty XR2 Team Issue and Maxxis Rekon EXO both 2.6. I was thinking of putting Rekon in front (tried but don’t like it as a rear because of ramped center nobs = poor breaking) and XR2 in rear but worry that may not be enough grip and or toughness. Other thought-getting Maxxis Aggressor 2.5 for rear and putting Nobby Nic on front.

I'll be there along with a few others in our crew.  I'll be riding Bonty XR2 in 3.0".  I was there last Fall and this tire worked fine for me.  Another guy in our group rides the 2.3 XR2 on is 29er.  But note, we are all hardtail riders who are use to picking good lines and "riding light".  I've now done 10 laps at Lake Georgetown on my 3.0" XR2 and yet to flat.  Therefore, my suggestion is to know your own range of what tire can/will work for you.  But the terrain there doesn't necessitate an overly grippy tire (if you are use to riding some our loose over hardpack stuff)  

Later,  -CJB

On 9/13/2018 at 3:55 PM, notyal said:

Yeah, if you can get a couple other riders and split it 3 or 4 ways, getting an Airbnb is no-brainer. There are a ton of options for $100-$150 per night. You get a whole 3/2 house with actual toilets and showers, full kitchen, everyone get a bedroom, garage to store and work on bikes, and a backyard to drink beer in. That's hard to beat.

I just did this two weeks ago. Definitely the best way to do B-ville. Our house was maybe 100yds from one of the Slaughter Pen trailheads. 3 Days was not enough though. I went from only riding the R&I once a week to 3 straight days of riding. My body was done on day 3 at Coler.

I'll be back though.

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like my Rekon front and XR2 will work. It will feel much lighter than my current setup. I’m not terribly hard on tires at all- don’t gash sidewalls etc. - and used to ride 2.35 Ikon rear but didn’t like lack of breaking control, probably function of my weight. I have always preferred higher volume tires. I remember riding a 26x2.4 Nevegal back in the day (liked volume but dang that rolling resistance was high) and when moved to 29 I remember a guy on the greenbelt asking why I was riding “downhill” tires - 2.4 Ardents! Fell in love with 2.6 when Nobby Nics came out.