IGNORED

Peddlers Pass - what to expect as a racer

Just what is a dirt time trial at Peddlers Pass going to be like as a racer?  Read on to find out!

First off, register online to skip that time consuming (and higher priced) process at the event. 

Show up well ahead of your race time and pick up your packet.  If you are early enough you will have a chance for a sighting lap of the closed-course,  2.7+ mile, 161 corner track. Then if you have time remaining, get a few miles of warming up on the lake trail and make your final preparations.  You’ll want to ride light and fast so maybe forgo carrying anything for each of your 15-25 minute laps.  

Then it works a lot like Enduro.  You will line up  with other riders in your category and race the course one at a time with at least a 30 second gap between other racers.  You will finish your lap and should be able to see your time within minutes.  Go have a beer and BS with your pals then get back in line and hit it again.  Then once more for three total runs. Two runs for juniors. 

Your times will be added up and lowest aggregated time wins.  We will count your fastest two laps (one for juniors) while dropping the slowest so you if you bin it on one of your laps, it’s not a podium killer. 

Prizes and podium photos happen soon after the final racer in your category is done with their last lap.  

Then the fun starts all over again for the next category of racers.  

Prizes:   Minimum payouts for 1st place in each of the three overall adult categories is $80 cash and will cap at $160 for a sold-out event. Women score the same amount of cash as the guys.  The payouts taper off down to three deep.  We may be able go deeper to 5th place if the event sells out.  

Some folks have ponied up some donations to pay out cash for fastest Tandem bike team.  

All age group and tandem podiums get trophies three deep so even if you are not fast enough for an overall category win, you can still take home a trophy.  

After your race is over, go hit the other area trails with your pals- they are incredible.  

Event page:

https://www.facebook.com/events/257174378553734/?ti=icl

Straight to the tickets:

https://legacy.usacycling.org/myusac/index.php?pagename=registration&eventid=950&year=2019

F777A92D-EBEB-4BF9-9683-D3BE6478D05B.jpeg

• Like 5

Wait a minute - I think I missed the most important points of the 'what to expect' post

Where are the beer handups?

Where are the spectators holding dollar bills for the racers to grab?

Where do the hecklers wait?

Is there a limit to number of water balloons the hecklers can use?

Edited by cxagent
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, cxagent said:

Wait a minute - I think I missed the most important points of the 'what to expect' post

Where are the beer handups?

Where are the spectators holding dollar bills for the racers to grab?

Where do the hecklers wait?

Is there a limit to number of water balloons the hecklers can use?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, FrankRizzo said:

Talk more about the in race experience.  :30 start gaps....is there room to pass or be passed?  What is protocol?  This would be my first race of this type...want to avoid rookie mistakes. Please share any other advice or suggestions. Thanks.

I have a feeling that lots of us have similar questions. 

2 hours ago, FrankRizzo said:

Talk more about the in race experience.  :30 start gaps....is there room to pass or be passed?  What is protocol?  This would be my first race of this type...want to avoid rookie mistakes. Please share any other advice or suggestions. Thanks.

Valid question!   The person staging the racers at the start will endeavor to put the fastest riders in front and make sure there is a good gap between the last riders and the fast ones on their second lap   The endeavor is for race staff to manage the starting order as best as possible so racers will not have to deal much with traffic  

Right now, we are looking at having way less than the 400 rider cap so we could have gaps of 1 minute or more.  

There will be room in most cases for a quick pass.  The rule will be to yield to a faster rider ASAP and no headphones.