IGNORED

Which logo do you like best? Please vote!

Albert

Help choose a logo for Austin Mountain Biking!  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo do you like best?

• Logo #1 (with the mountain in the background)
    • Logo #2 (with the full state of Texas in the background)

I have two possible logo designs for Austin Mountain Biking.  They are similar, and I'm not sure which one I like best.  These are not colorized yet, but wanted to get some feedback before we go further. 

Logo #1: 

amb_logo_1.thumb.png.293d5abb86ab614f5229d6b28e864f0d.png

Logo #2: 

amb_logo_2.png.3c354bc5ca1a589c5cde0ce2f58ca844.png

Please vote for your favorite!  You can leave comments about why you like/dislike the logos below.  Thanks!

..Al

• Like 1

If I have to make a choice then I say #2 for sure.  What point is it to have the state on there.....but then have half of it cut-off?  Especially the part that makes Texas so identifiable?  

But to give some additional feedback, if this is Austin Mountainbiking, then is Texas even needed?  Just something to think about.  Additionally, I can't say that I dig the MTB rider silhouette all that much either.  Seems a bit outa the 90's.

And because any strong criticism should come with something constructive: Here is a link to the 175 yr commemorative Austin logo that was designed back in 2014.  I have a suspicion that this may be able to be used open-source, but I get I'd check on that for sure.  If nothing else it could be used as inspiration for something clean, current, Austin & Texas. (maybe substitute MTB where the 175 is on the banner).  http://austin.culturemap.com/news/home-design/12-23-14-austin-texas-175th-anniversary-gsdm-logo-t-shirt/#slide=0     https://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_for_city_of_austins_175th_anniversary_by_gsdm.php  https://goo.gl/images/UGZn1e

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback Cody.  Yeah, I'm not crazy about having "half" of Texas, but I do like the mountains on the upper half, even though we really only have hills here.  But the sport is called "mountain biking". That 175th anniversary Austin logo doesn't do much for me, and its basically just another rendition of the state of Texas with some text and a banner overlaid on it.  I wouldn't really want to lift that design directly, even if it is open source.  

It's harder to find something that is unique to Austin that would work well for the logo.  Austin is the capital of Texas, and the state's shape is easily recognizable and unique, so I don't think it's out of place.  

Nothing is set in stone yet.  🙂

Thanks again, 

..Al

I agree with some of the comments posted above (where's the rest of Texas, black rider, date bike, etc).  I'd also like to see the ride sporting a mountain bike helmet with a visor.  No squid lid.

I also think that maybe there should be less emphasis on the mountains in the first one.  We have plenty of biking but not much in the way of mountains. 

• Like 1

I sit next to 2 designers at my work.  We discuss these things quite often as we've (semi) recently gone through this exercise for the project that I've been working on here at my job.  

Modern design "trends" have evolved to be much more clean and simple.  An elegance that is accomplished with less.  It could be somewhat thought of as the "Apple way" of design.  There is no doubt that they have popularized it (and I happened to have worked there for 6 years and it gets ingrained in part of the corp culture too).  Therefore, I keep coming back to the options and offered here as a bit kitchy and dated.  I LOVE ME SOME TEXAS!  But its really been over-used in standard basic ways.  Same with chinrings and MTB silhouettes.  Maybe it really doesn't matter for a new startup forum logo, but IMHO these kinds of things do matter when it begins to represent a brand, image or tribe.  Al I say challenge your designer to stretch himself; do something that is UNIQUE....DIFFERENT.  How would Apple design a MTB community logo?  (and still be gritty and earthy?)  Maybe something with a vintage nod to it:  

Clean and simple logo desgins https://99designs.com/blog/creative-inspiration/simple-logo-design/

Maybe something with a vintage nod to it:  https://99designs.com/launch/logo-design/89ec0e85ae5e1235/visualbrief/designs  (these are not all vintage but you can gather a variety of inspiration from many of these examples)

This guy Aaron Draplin is a legend in the realm of retro and simple: https://goo.gl/images/MiiuUy   Outdoorsy and earthy examples of his: https://goo.gl/images/JpJyRY  I bet something like that could be done with a simple MTB'er logo, a simple thick-lined mountain, and RWB TX colors giving a nod to the state.

Just ideas....

-CJB

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, notyal said:

My advice...don't ask for advice.

But since you did, I agree with everything CBaron said. I especially like this one from the 99designs article he posted. Something like this could easily be adapted for MTB. 

I'm enjoying reading the feedback.  I may not agree with all of it, but many good points have been raised so far.  This was a first pass at a logo, and we'll make another.k  I'd prefer to get it right the first time, as I don't want to spend time adjusting it later.  And I want to use it not just for this site, but for social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram) as well as stickers and such.  

..Al

• Like 2

notyal- you are 100% correct about asking for advice.  I NEVER ask for advice, because you will always get it.  Instead, my method is to seek out council from just a few respected sources.  I've designed about 3-4 different jerseys for cycling teams/clubs that I've been a part of.  My #1 requirement for me taking on this task has been that nobody gets to see the design until I'm finished (because EVERYONE wants to be a critic).  Sorry Al....

But now that we are here, I think notyal's choice above is s-t-r-o-n-g!  It could easily contain all the elements needed for Albert's logo: a mountain, a bike wheel or chainring, the site's name, possible a defining feature of Austin (Capital, 360 bridge, Bat, etc..) [but once again less is more]

Cheers -CJB

• Like 1

Both of those are nice, but they need something to make them unique in order to leave an impression that will lead people to ask, "Where can I get one of those?"

Consider the BikeMojo logo and what qualities endear the design to those who see it. It is funky, full of detail, and a little off-kilter, like many of those who participate there.

Maybe an Armadillo with a Texas state-shaped brand on its hind quarter and a mountain biker perched high on its arched back, one foot down, seat lowered, hands on bars, checking the view before rolling on.

No matter what, take your time, try as many different ideas as you can. When the right one is before you it will let you know.