IGNORED

$125 build... Stay tuned...

Just about finished a bike for someone who wants to get a kid she mentor's into riding trails. Her original budget was $65 which was really just not doable. But I told her I'd see what I could come up with if she was open to spending a little more money. And after searching around I was able to put together a frame and parts that ran just around $125. Mostly stuff from YellowBike, a couple craigslist pick-ups, and with some things I had sitting in my workshop bin.

Here's the frame after tear down...

I chose the Diamondback Sorrento because it seemed to get fairly good feeback for the frame on the various online forums.

IMG_2669.jpg

Edited by RidingAgain

Here's the finished bike...

A labor of love, working on these builds helps me learn about building up bikes. It also gives me a chance to go and spend time with the folks at Yellowbike — and support them financially, something I enjoy doing. It also gives me the opportunity to go searching for old things, and gives me the joy of finding what I need and bringing each part back into good working condition, and then repurpose them... Which is something that I learned as a young kid from my mom and step-dad who used to go hunting for 100+ year old antique furniture and restore what they found (thanks mom and Uncle Deryck, for teaching me the value of doing this). All parts on the bike were taken apart, cleaned/service before being used.

And then... It's great to see the smile on the face of a person who gets what they wanted for a price that makes them very happy. With the added benefit of being able to get them enjoying the outdoors riding their new old bike.

Here's the specs breakdown...

2007 Diamondback Sorrento frame bought used from Yellowbike as a whole bike for $25, taken apart, kept frame (checked hanger was straight) and brakes, then good parts cleaned up and donated back to Yellowbike.

2001 Rock Shox 100mm travel Judy TT (not a recalled one — checked serial #) taken off a K2 bike bought from Yellowbike used for $20, frame was cracked but fork was good, took other parts off cleaned them up and donated back to Yellowbike, took fork apart and fully serviced.

26" Ritchey Vantage Sport (w/Shimano LX-level hub, I think) front and Giant rear with inhouse hub (including skewers) bought used rims from Yellowbike for $20, trued both, cleaned up (including braking surface with steel wool).

WTB WeirWolf 2.3 tire on front, IRC Freedom Cross Trailbear 2.25 on rear (lightly used, had these in my parts bin).

Sidepull (V-brakes/lever) brakes that came with the factory Diamondback build, brand unknown (cost included in bike purchase).

Kona stem, 90mm, bought used from Yellowbike for around $3.

Cane Creek/Aheadset threadless headset that came with the K2 bike bought at Yellowbike.

Kore Mega used handlebar (thanks mack_turtle), around 740mm.

1x9 drive includes... Used Shimano Deore 9-speed right/rear shifter, Shimano LX 9-speed rear derailleur, Shimano 32T chainring, Shimano Deore Hollowtech cranks, Shimano Hollowtech/Octolink BB bought from Yellowbike for around $40... Used Shimano Deore-level 11/34T cassette, Sram chain, new bashguard (can't remember brand), used generic plastic pedals, all had in my bin.

Jagwire shifter/brake cables and housing bought new from Yellowbike for $10.

Planetbike bottle holder, came on K2 bike bought from Yellowbike.

Seatpost quick release collar/clamp bought used from Yellowbike for a $1.

Syncros M 3.0 saddle (had in parts bin) painted plastic guards red to match bike color scheme.

Cannondale C3 seatpost bought used from Yellowbike for $5.

DIY Chain tensioner (made from stuff in parts bin).

And finally...

SNAFU lock-on grips, bought from, yes, Walmart, for just $10.

IMG_2748.jpg

IMG_2752.jpg

IMG_2753.jpg

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2755.jpg

IMG_2756.jpg

IMG_2758.jpg

IMG_2759.jpg

IMG_2761.jpg

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2765.jpg

IMG_2767.jpg

IMG_2768.jpg

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2770.jpg

IMG_2772 (1).jpg

Edited by RidingAgain
  • Like 3

Bad ass.

One more thing about those brake posts- it's possible for the brake arm fixing bolts to get stuck to the post, so the post will thread out if you have to remove the brake. If you still can, apply some heavy thread locker to those posts and/ or tighten the crap out of them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

Quick question...

Always second guess myself re. length of cable/housing loop (piece that fits into derailleur)... Feedback on the length I gave on this bike would be helpful. Thanks.

Looks super long to me. Cool budget build though. Nice to see people breathing some life back into old bikes that may otherwise wind up in a junk pile somewhere.

• Like 2