IGNORED

This Affordable New Mountain Bike... Perfect For First Timers...

That's pretty tone-deaf. It's common these days for the mtb media to write stuff that assumes that everyone have money coming out of their ears. I have written a few of these types of articles and I always categorize "first bikes" as less than $1500, and strive to find a recommendation under $1K. I mean, you can buy a carbon fiber 26" hardtail with crappy components for $400 and then put $600 worth of components one it over the next six months and at least end up with a passable XC bike.

I've been mountain biking for over a decade (not that long, I know) and I don't think the custom-built hardtail with a boutique rear hub would cost more than $2000 if I had to start all over.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 3

$3k carbon hardtail is being touted for 1st timers????  I predict that the type of person that spends $3k on their first bike, is the same type of person that will let it hang in their garage unridden, used as wall-art to tell all their friends about how cool of a fancy MTB they own.

I've not looked in a long time, but I bet $1200 would get something pretty dang 'nice & rideable' from BSS (hardtail).  But heck when I was coaching my kids Middle & HS MTB club, I was regularly finding $300-400 CL bikes that were very adequate for a newb rider to get their feet wet.

Later, -CJB

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CBaron said:

$3k carbon hardtail is being touted for 1st timers????  I predict that the type of person that spends $3k on their first bike, is the same type of person that will let it hang in their garage unridden, used as wall-art to tell all their friends about how cool of a fancy MTB they own.

I've not looked in a long time, but I bet $1200 would get something pretty dang 'nice & rideable' from BSS (hardtail).  But heck when I was coaching my kids Middle & HS MTB club, I was regularly finding $300-400 CL bikes that were very adequate for a newb rider to get their feet wet.

Later, -CJB

$1300 got my 14yo a very nice new bike at BSS.  $150 more and it would have been a step up.  I still wish I'd done that.  My youngest got a CL bike $800 for a 25lbs race hardtail.  $300-400 gets you a very nice bike...but with companies like Marin, the entry point for even new bikes is pretty low for pretty decent quality these days!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

That's pretty tone-deaf. It's common these days for the mtb media to write stuff that assumes that everyone have money coming out of their ears. I have written a few of these types of articles and I always categorize "first bikes" as less than $1500, and strive to find a recommendation under $1K. I mean, you can buy a carbon fiber 26" hardtail with crappy components for $400 and then put $600 worth of components one it over the next six months and at least end up with a passable XC bike.

I've been mountain biking for over a decade (not that long, I know) and I don't think the custom-built hardtail with a boutique rear hub would cost more than $2000 if I had to start all over.

Custom built my steel SS last year for 1100, but put a cheap wheelset on it at first. Just bought a new wheelset and a replaced my fork internals for 700 total. Easily doable.

• Like 1

I could be wrong, but my guess it the "beginner" reference has as much or more to do with the 27.5+ wheels than the price. I've been riding a mid-fat for a couple years and have always gotten the old "How do you like those wide tires? I think my wife/child would like that." as though an experience rider couldn't benefit from the increased cush and traction. 

My concern about an article like this is that it gets read by folks who may want to start riding mtb but get put off when they think that they need to buy a $3,000 bike to begin doing it properly.

And this article might get picked up by other news media feeds... Which is great for building the Diamondback brand recognition... But sucks for developing the sport among less financially able folk — meaning... most consumers.

And no, I don't mean poor people, just those who have limited budgets but could afford a few hundred bucks to be able to pick up an activity they're seeing on magazine covers, or their neighbors doing.

And this was at Sea Otter Classic... Were there no other, more affordable, bikes being presented?

Edited by RidingAgain

1 hour ago, RidingAgain said:

And this was at Sea Otter Classic... Were there no other, more affordable, bikes being presented? 

Doubtful.  You don't go to Sea Otter or CES for electronics to see "budget builds".  You go to see the high end of the high end.  From the videos I have been watching - almost every bike on display had the electric shift or hydro shift (from BOX brand).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CBaron said:

Later, -CJB

$1300 will get you a kick ass Scott Scale 730 with an NX drivetrain, transX dropper, rekons front and back and a 130mm fox float 34 fork off of the Marketplace right here on this website! 🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RidingAgain said:

My concern about an article like this is that it gets read by folks who may want to start riding mtb but get put off

If you want to be proactive about it, tell the editor of Gear Patrol how you feel. As someone who writes stuff like this, I know that SEO research says that a beginner mountain bike for $3000 is not what people are Googling. 

• Like 1