IGNORED

Williamson County River Ranch County Park

Just saw and article on KXAN about this new park in Williamson County. It has just broken ground on the first phase, which was initially 1000 acres, but they are now considering adding 350 acres to the project. They mentioned miles of hiking trails (which caught my attention). I didn't know anything about this until now. 1300+ acres?? sounds like the potential for a lot of trails for those nasty dirt bag mountain bikers to me...

https://communityimpact.com/austin/georgetown/parks-recreation/2019/04/12/river-ranch-county-park-to-grow-by-350-acres-pending-williamson-county-commissioners-approval/

• Like 1

"In 2013, Williamson County hired landscape architecture, planning, and urban design firm Design Workshop to help guide the County through Phase One of the park’s development, which will be nature based and modeled after Texas state parks with activities such as areas for picnics, camping, hiking, horse paths, RV camping, fishing, and nature study."

from the developers website.

No mention of bikes.  Boooo!

The master plan states 'only beginner level bike trails should be proposed' due to the 'sensitivity of the terrain' 😒. The maps only have trails labelled as pedestrian or equestrian. The Master Plan is from 2010 though.

See pg. 12 

https://www.wilco.org/Portals/0/Departments/Parks/2010.02.05 - Master Plan Document.pdf?ver=2017-02-01-125338-000

https://www.wilco.org/Departments/Parks-Recreation/Master-Plan

28 minutes ago, Teamsloan said:

"Bike trails should be closely monitored for signs of erosion and safety hazards." As if we're the worst offenders when it comes to causing erosion and environmental impact.

...nevermind the impact of horses and diesel dualies pulling giant RV trailers.

Strange that I can see your comments in the recent posts on the right but not in your actual post.... 

13 hours ago, GFisher said:

HA! No, I checked in case I accidentally did. I was wondering if there was a feature where you could block specific users from viewing your posts and you had blocked me. 😂

No, he copied HTML text and when it pasted in the font was set to #FFFFFF which is white. If you highlight his text you can actually read it. 

Not surprising that a non-designer like Sloan would make this newbie error 😝

7 hours ago, AustinBike said:

No, he copied HTML text and when it pasted in the font was set to #FFFFFF which is white. If you highlight his text you can actually read it. 

Not surprising that a non-designer like Sloan would make this newbie error 😝

Derp. Fwiw, it looks great in dark mode.

...I'm not a web designer, so I didn't even realize this was an issue.

Edited by Teamsloan
  • Like 1

"Bike trails should be closely monitored for signs of erosion" because who has ever heard of sustainable trail design?  Maybe time for a social visit with a copy of the IMBA manual?

Apparently Design Workshop didn't get the memo on Parks and Wildlife's interest in mountain bike trails at parks like Pedernales Falls. 

Edited by June Bug

We met with Mr Williams (name I recall) back when we were getting Deception, uh I mean Brushy Creek Singletrack, recognized and sanctioned. My memory is that Wilco PARD was not exactly happy that mountin bike trails were being recognized. Word I have heard since then do not make me think that opinion has changed.

2 hours ago, cxagent said:

We met with Mr Williams (name I recall) back when we were getting Deception, uh I mean Brushy Creek Singletrack, recognized and sanctioned. My memory is that Wilco PARD was not exactly happy that mountin bike trails were being recognized. Word I have heard since then do not make me think that opinion has changed.

If you ask them though, they seem to take full credit for all the trails out there.