IGNORED

City Park Direction Change In Progress

zrx24

As mentioned a few weeks ago in the City Park Trail Conditions thread, the City approved our getting back to our old ways of reversing trail direction every few years. I’ve begun changing directional signage on the upper loop this afternoon, and should have the rest of the trail finished tomorrow.

If you’re riding there tomorrow, the direction is still counter-clockwise. But you will encounter some Wrong Way markers and see that the directional signage has been changed in places (tree hangers for example). DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING BACK.

The direction will officially become clockwise once the signage in the parking area is changed, which I expect to have completed tomorrow evening.

If you’ve never ridden City Park clockwise, it is a whole new experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Barry said:

This is kinda exciting. I'm looking forward to trying it the other way!

2010, huh? Did those early EBs run with it in the clock-wise direction then? Anyone here other than @CBaron know the answer to that? 

I've been riding CP since 96'.  Its changed so many times I can't keep it all straight.  But now that I think about it....I seem to recall in the video that Woody did on the EB (09' 2nd Edition??) there was footage of riders going across the parking lot to enter in what is now the 'exiting' direction?  Someone pull up that video and it may give you what you ask.

Later, -CJB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CBaron said:

I've been riding CP since 96'.  Its changed so many times I can't keep it all straight.  But now that I think about it....I seem to recall in the video that Woody did on the EB (09' 2nd Edition??) there was footage of riders going across the parking lot to enter in what is now the 'exiting' direction?  Someone pull up that video and it may give you what you ask.

Later, -CJB

If it's the "Señor Limpio!" video, I think it was in the ccw direction.  Someone was doing a wheelie on the parking lot right?

23 hours ago, CBaron said:

I've been riding CP since 96'.  Its changed so many times I can't keep it all straight

I started coming to Austin trails in 90 or 91, that's when I first struggled a lap from Emma. IIRC, the direction was changing about every 2 years back then.

So if the last change was 2010 or so, it's been a while!

I started coming to Austin trails in 90 or 91, that's when I first struggled a lap from Emma. IIRC, the direction was changing about every 2 years back then.
So if the last change was 2010 or so, it's been a while!

Yep. That was easy to do back when we only had about 20 Main Loop tree hangers to flip around. When the City installed 54 sign posts with assorted directional stickers on each side (in addition to the tree hangers), that kind of put the brakes on it.

I hit City Park this afternoon and it was awesome. Here is what I left thinking thinking:
1. Excellent work on making everything rollable.
2. Lapping that place on a motorcycle looks super fun.
3. The trail is changing as it adjusts to the new direction. Several ledges and lips were dislodged and there are loose rocks all over. Watch for them and you’ll be fine.
4. It’s hit out there people, pack lots of water.
5. The new direction is less intimidating from a descent perspective but feels like there is a lot more climbing.
6. Triple bitch is still a bitch going down.
7. Devil’s staircase is huge from both directions.
8. Anyone that can climb up cheesecake is a machine.

Go get some people. The cool breeze makes it feel good and the trail is great fun.

944d0a6c10832511883efb9550f8193d.jpg944d0a6c10832511883efb9550f8193d.jpgc04acc5db2821494bc83dd64e6b48849.jpg

• Like 2

Forgot to mention that I ran into a guy from Colorado who had just finished a lap on a hardtail. He had sold his FS rig because he didn’t think Texas would need it here. Turns out that we might not have mile long climbs but the stuff we do have is a different kind of challenge. I encourage everyone that hasn’t given Emma Long a ride recently to get out there and check it out. Your technical climbing and descending will thank you.