IGNORED

Thinking of getting a 4runner, looking for imput

natas1321

Achievement of the Great American Vacation scenario is the last big hurdle. That once-a-year multi-state trip and extended mileage weekends are drawbacks for me at this time. Though as AntonioGG relates below, the commuter class of use is already there, with overnight charging at home and some employers providing charging in the parking lots.

Electric will conquer internal combustion once charging technology advances to the point that convenient locations are available to fully charge a vehicle in minutes rather than hours.

Once this happens, economy of scale and reduced maintenance costs will bring the practical TCO over the life of the vehicle into an acceptable range for average buyers. The sea change will be dramatic and IC will fade away.

Edited by Ridenfool

37 minutes ago, TheX said:

I would love an all electric Ranger size truck.

A co-worker had plans to electrify an old S10.   He's retired now and had more projects than I can count, so I don't know if he'll ever do it, but I'd also love a plug-in hybrid mini-truck.   You may not have to wait long though.  I just read yesterday how Ford funded Rivian with $500M and will use the Rivian platform for a Ford vehicle (speculation is super high!)

I'm driving my now 12 year old Mazdaspeed3 which I love and is still a reliable car at 100k miles.  I'm holding off to see what the next 2-3 years from Mazda brings.  With their SkyActiv compression ignition gas and diesel tech + some electrics I think they're going to make some cool things that are fun to drive.

My biggest dilemma is that my commute is 4.5 miles so I don't really need 300-400 miles of electric range, and my car is not what the family would travel on.  I thought about getting a used original Leaf (they are super cheap now) until something better comes along.    The people I work with have Leafs (Leaves?), Model S, Model 3, Model X, Volts and they all love their vehicles.  I think if GM had made the Volt into something like a mini truck I would have bought one instantly.  Perfect electric range so I'd be electric 99% of the time, and an engine that operates at peak efficiency for those longer trips, and practical.  I'd have even bought one if they made a wagon (or 5-door hatch with real cargo space like my Mazda).

7 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

Achievement of the Great American Vacation scenario is the last big hurdle. That once-a-year multi-state trip and extended mileage weekends are drawbacks for me at this time. Though as AntonioGG relates below, the commuter class of use is already there, with overnight charging at home and some employers providing charging in the parking lots.

Electric will conquer internal combustion once charging technology advances to the point that convenient locations are available to fully charge a vehicle in minutes rather than hours.

Once this happens, economy of scale and reduced maintenance costs will bring the practical TCO over the life of the vehicle into an acceptable range for average buyers. The sea change will be dramatic and IC will fade away.

^This.

Going electric seems to be trading one mess for another. I drive multi-state road trips 2-3 times a year and I plan on towing a pop-up on some of those future trips. Until I can recharge as quickly and conveniently as I can re-fuel my gas tank going electric will be a no-go for me. Not to mention the ability to walk 3 miles with a gas can to a gas station in the event that I run out vs waiting for solar power to recharge or walking those same miles lugging a giant lithium ion "recharge pack" or whatever back up solution is available.

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2019 at 10:45 AM, Tree Magnet said:

My wife had an older one (1990 something) and it was a heavy pig.  It wasn't even 4 wheel drive and still struggled to get up the 2222 hill.  Such a heavy vehicle that it needs all the power it can get.  

@cmc4130 just got a late model one and has his older one.  I'm sure he can add some insight.

Even though I loved my 1997 (it's sitting in the driveway with almost 300K miles), for the last several years it did indeed struggle to get up that 2222 hill west of Loop 360.