IGNORED

Austin area spots for gravel grinding?

bestbike85

Barry is correct from my experience.  Even when riding from home (usually on my road bike), it takes quite a long while to run across unpaved road(s).  

Now what some of us use to do is roll-out from the house on our gravel bikes and do big(ish) urban rides which incorporated mixed 'terrains': bike paths, double track, urban concrete (steps and such), and of course road...  It was quite fun and I'd do them again, but we'd have to get @GFisher on board because he was the one who'd put together the routes.

Later,
CJB

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, CBaron said:

Barry is correct from my experience.  Even when riding from home (usually on my road bike), it takes quite a long while to run across unpaved road(s).  

Now what some of us use to do is roll-out from the house on our gravel bikes and do big(ish) urban rides which incorporated mixed 'terrains': bike paths, double track, urban concrete (steps and such), and of course road...  It was quite fun and I'd do them again, but we'd have to get @GFisher on board because he was the one who'd put together the routes.

Later,
CJB

Yes, I loved those rides!  I still remember on one particular night ride, the girls on 6th street telling @GFisher nice butt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

Yes, I loved those rides!  I still remember on one particular night ride, the girls on 6th street telling @GFisher nice butt.

I could use some more of that kind of riding.  Lately, I've been finding it challenging to get motivated.  A good group and some exploratory routes might cure that.

-CJB

• Like 2

17 hours ago, CBaron said:

I could use some more of that kind of riding.  Lately, I've been finding it challenging to get motivated.  A good group and some exploratory routes might cure that.

-CJB

Let me get this salsa in the stable and set up in the coming week, and I’m down for all of that. 

I do some of these "mixed terrain" rides around town on a cyclocross bike. they end up being more pavement than gravel because there's just not that much gravel in town. however, if you can find segments of relatively tame singletrack, you can string together some fun rides. 

• Like 1

Town Lake, Shoal Creek, VCT, lots of stuff along Slaughter Creek, Walnut North, Walnut Metro, Walnut Creek South, etc can all be linked together by roads and bike paths. I want to find a way to link it to Onion Creek/ McKinney Falls, but I have not figured that one out yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

I remember riding townlake trail to the dam and back, Shoal Creek trail, and even the BCGB main trail dropping in at Spyglass.  I even have video of Cody dropping it at the skate/bike pool:  

Dang, I'd forgotten that there was video of that.  Ha!....rear bike rack and all....

Those were some good rides.

-CJB

• Like 1

New Bike Day. Size 54 Salsa Journeyman 700c Apex 1 build with bolt on top tube bag. 

Stoked for this thing. Gravel rides here, gravel/paved rides in Houston on weeks I’m there for work 

39756096-D583-4A97-9D72-4AD7D529DFF3.jpeg

Edited by bestbike85
  • Like 6

On 4/25/2019 at 11:11 AM, CBaron said:

Later,
CJB

Riding multi-surface is my prefered ride.  I do a lot between RR and Gtown.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...