IGNORED

Did I wax too soon?

45 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Appreciate the fact that it is not clear until this point that this thread is about bicycle chain maintenance and not... something about goats or something.

I know yall's minds, like mine, tend towards the side of the road. Far be it from me to steer you in the right direction.

I bought a tiny Crockpot at a thrift store for $1 and some blocks of candle wax at HEB for a few bucks. Clean the chain in a sealed jar of degreaser, blow dry with and air compressor, then drop it in the melted wax. Install chain on bike and spin the drivetrain a few times. Not sure what this will do to a derailer, as I don't own a bike with a derailer. The chain comes out stiff but after it works loose on the bike and the excess was falls off, it's smooth and stays for a long time.

80’s college roadie days flashback. A friend used to buy bricks of paraffin wax in the baking aisle. Had 2 pots on a hot plate, one for dirty chain, one for clean chain.

Heard of some old friends that now do the crock pot. One said they throw graphite in the wax.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Been using this for years.

.image.png.6765a7b188985643535ad97e863b112d.png

I used to use Rock and Roll on my road bikes until I found out about this. This cleans and lubes at same time without the build up of crud I used to get from Rock and Roll. Wax based lubes will build up on drive train making thorough cleaning a PIA and time consuming. 

26 minutes ago, JRA said:

The best chain lube out there is the one that is released tomorrow.

Fixed it for ya!

I seem to buy something new when I read a thread like this and want to try some other stuff, and this is how I end up with 5-6 lube bottles.

Pro-Link is good stuff too.  One year I worked the pits for my Canadian friends at the RHR24 as well as a couple of locals.  There were 5 different types of lube being used and it was a messy race.  Pro-Link and R&R Gold seemed to have the cleanest chains with the least amount of grinding noise.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Fixed it for ya!

I seem to buy something new when I read a thread like this and want to try some other stuff, and this is how I end up with 5-6 lube bottles.

Pro-Link is good stuff too.  One year I worked the pits for my Canadian friends at the RHR24 as well as a couple of locals.  There were 5 different types of lube being used and it was a messy race.  Pro-Link and R&R Gold seemed to have the cleanest chains with the least amount of grinding noise.

Been there. I worked a rainy 24hr at RHR one year  and was using Pedros SynLube and Phil Wood Tenacious Oil, liberally. Chains, brake pads, wills, and egos were being destroyed on every lap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I might try mack_turtle's candle wax crockpot method so that I can change the mood for each upcoming season. I'll probably start with French Lavender for this spring, then give way to Fresh Linen during the summer months. Who could resist a little Pumpkin Spice when the weather starts cooling down in the fall, and of course, smells of cinnamon, sugar cookies, and evergreen trees come holiday season. 

Coming up next on "Martha Steward Shreds", we'll bake a delightful, energy-packed snack bar, perfect for those long solo rides, or share them trailside with your bros. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, notyal said:

I might try mack_turtle's candle wax crockpot method so that I can change the mood for each upcoming season. I'll probably start with French Lavender for this spring, then give way to Fresh Linen during the summer months. Who could resist a little Pumpkin Spice when the weather starts cooling down in the fall, and of course, smells of cinnamon, sugar cookies, and evergreen trees come holiday season. 

Coming up next on "Martha Steward Shreds", we'll bake a delightful, energy-packed snack bar, perfect for those long solo rides, or share them trailside with your bros. 

As an unapologetic fan of all things pumpkin spice I approve of this. I wonder if Martha would have tips for glamming up my homemade chainstay protectors.

32 minutes ago, taco_junkie said:

As an unapologetic fan of all things pumpkin spice I approve of this. I wonder if Martha would have tips for glamming up my homemade chainstay protectors.

Have you considered gluing decorative macaroni to the chainstay protector? This could serve double duty by providing an emergency source of carbs as well as making the protector look quite dapper!

17 hours ago, RedRider3141 said:

I used this for a long time on my dirt bikes, it's quite a bit lighter than the other stickier lube I previously used and was just as good. But I still prefer something lighter and easier to apply for my MTB. 

I just stay with KY lube. It's cheap, and I always like the looks you get from everyone in the check out line at HEB when you slam down the giant jar of it on the counter.

Yeah, I always look back and say "It's for my mountain bike"

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Yosmithy said:

I just stay with KY lube. It's cheap, and I always like the looks you get from everyone in the check out line at HEB when you slam down the giant jar of it on the counter.

Yeah, I always look back and say "It's for my mountain bike"

Plus it if you run out at Walnut Creek.......

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/22/2019 at 9:39 AM, taco_junkie said:

I fear I may have stripped and waxed a bit early in the season. I ran out of the wet stuff and have been putting off needed attention to the undercarriage. I could have gone shopping for more lube but I'm inherently lazy and I'm dodging bike stores like Neo in the Matrix after spending all my damn money in them. Anyway, after more than a few rides since the last proper clean the grime and cake was building up terribly. It was time. But what to do about lubrication? I decided to roll the dice and while the wife took the kids to a park or something I waxed my chain. I had some stuff lying around that I'd sourced from the Performance sale (RIP): Finish Line WAX lube. I can't really give a proper review with just one ride in, but smooth shifts and no build up so far. I avoided mud like the plague and had the benefit of conditions cooperating this time. With moisture in the forecast and dust booger season not yet here I wonder how screwed I am.

What are you lubing with? Do you switch from wet to wax between seasons?

The innuendo in this post is palpable.

1 hour ago, Ridenfool said:

Have you considered gluing decorative macaroni to the chainstay protector? This could serve double duty by providing an emergency source of carbs as well as making the protector look quite dapper!

Finally I have a use for the BeDazzler I got for Christmas

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JRA said:

Been there. I worked a rainy 24hr at RHR one year  and was using Pedros SynLube and Phil Wood Tenacious Oil, liberally. Chains, brake pads, wills, and egos were being destroyed on every lap.

Phil wood tenacious oil is good for some things , but a chain isn't one of them unless you're trying to resurrect an old chain that has gotten stiff with corrosion. Better to just replace it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chief said:

Phil wood tenacious oil is good for some things , but a chain isn't one of them unless you're trying to resurrect an old chain that has gotten stiff with corrosion. Better to just replace it.

It was at 24hr mud race, ran out of syn lube, but thanks for the tip.