IGNORED

I want a hard tail

15 hours ago, tomreece said:

Change my mind or recommend me something.

The Smuggler seems to have a pretty long reach, as goes the trend with modern bikes. If you want to ride the same trails in the same way on a hardtail, you may or may not want similar geometry. The Rockhopper is quite a bit shorter. If you think you'll adopt a different riding style or stick to different kinds of trails on the HT, you might choose differently.

Personally, I like a shorter reach as it makes the bike easier to wrangle at low speed over chunky terrain. I bought my current frame based on a reach that would allow me to use a short stem but not feel like I am hanging on for dear life behind the bike. YMMV and all that.

I am biased toward singlespeeding, so consider a bike that can easily accommodate a SS drivetrain with sliders or something. That would give you a very different experience and build some skill in maintaining momentum and line choice. I would avoid XD drivers if you want to go that direction, as those are difficult to use with a single cog. (Problem Solvers makes an adapter but it's not ideal.)

Edited by mack_turtle

I just came from riding a steel Honzo as my daily driver for a couple years and just got a full sus. Still have the Honzo but it sits unused and I am going to sell it.  I think it has to do with the geometry and my riding style or lack thereof.  What I don't like about modern hardtails is the super short chainstays, my new full sus has "non contemporary" long chainstays at 450 mm.  But I can get around stuff and corner better at slow speeds than the Honzo.  I am a big dude so I benefit from a long ass bike. I also take less of a beating on the chunk on a full suss.  Hardtails made me a much better rider, but probably would only go back to one as a second bike.

I think I'll take the full squishy Salsa Big Mama and replace the shock with aluminum tube stock. :classic_rolleyes:

This would make it an instant hard tail, with adjustable head angle and BB height simply by using different length bars where the shock was.

It probably won't get ridden any less, and should gather dust just as effectively as the "second bike" does now. :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, fontarin said:

He's going to have a really hard time selling for that.   I'd expect to get like 6-7k for that.  I'd probably find another crankset and sell the Quarq separately - it'd do better.

Even then....how many people are willing (and have!) $6-7k to drop on a used bike?  I could be wrong, but I tend to think that the 'used buyer' is a completely different type of consumer than the '$7k dollar bike buyer'.  IMHO there is a point where if someone is willing to spend $7k used....then that same type of person would actually go buy something comparable for $9k new (w/warranty, shop support, color choice, etc..)

-CJB

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CBaron said:

Even then....how many people are willing (and have!) $6-7k to drop on a used bike?  I could be wrong, but I tend to think that the 'used buyer' is a completely different type of consumer than the '$7k dollar bike buyer'.  IMHO there is a point where if someone is willing to spend $7k used....then that same type of person would actually go buy something comparable for $9k new (w/warranty, shop support, color choice, etc..)

-CJB

I tend to agree.  If I was shopping in that range I would be building something from scratch selecting every specific component and probably going with a frame from a boutique brand or have a custom frame built.  It's a sweet bike though.

48 minutes ago, CBaron said:

-CJB

Yeah, I agree.  I think he'll have a hard time selling it and end up parting it out.  I was being optimistic on the 7k part - I'd expect closer to 6 and it'll take a long time to sell it - probably would need to be on something like Pinkbike or Ebay.