IGNORED

Is it just me or have mid range complete builds just sky rocketed in price in the last two years!

4fun

So I cracked my main rides frame this winter and as a bandaid bought a steel hardtail frame and built it up with my broken bikes parts to ride until next fall when bikes go on sale and my wallet is a little thicker! With the thought that the hardtail will become my backup bike. Started doing some research into what I’m going to get! It seems like to get the equivalent spec of my previous bike I’m looking at 1.5 to 2x the price I paid two years ago! Does this have to do with new import laws? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jcarneytx said:

Dunno 'bout 2 years, but my 'midrange' Yeti 575 from 2005 was 2400. Bought a 'midrange' YT Jeffsy 13 years later at 3600.

Maybe just last 3 months, just looking in the3k to 4K range you get NX components and some have Suntour forks at these prices. That being said the YT’s offer an amazing spec! My only hesitation is the pressfit bottom bracket!

Almost every mid range now has a dropper, so that adds to the cost. Mid range forks used to be 100-120mm, now they are 130-140mm, that adds to the price. And drivetrains are 11-12speed, again adding to the price.

I'd bet that if you were to build up a mid range config with the same specs as 5-6 years ago, the price would be about the same. The price inflation in my opinion is due to the spec inflation, so ultimately you are spending more than before but getting more than before as well.

10 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Almost every mid range now has a dropper, so that adds to the cost. Mid range forks used to be 100-120mm, now they are 130-140mm, that adds to the price. And drivetrains are 11-12speed, again adding to the price.

I'd bet that if you were to build up a mid range config with the same specs as 5-6 years ago, the price would be about the same. The price inflation in my opinion is due to the spec inflation, so ultimately you are spending more than before but getting more than before as well.

My bike 2 years ago was gx 11spd, Fox 34 performance elite fork 130, KS supernatural dropper. Exact same bike in the 2019 configured is $200 more with nx 11spd, KS E30I dropper, Fox rhythm 34. 

I'm a late adopter and tend to buy a bike on close-out a year or two after production. Don't think I've ever paid over $2K for a bike. Though I have thrown more into bikes in upgrades, and would likely do that anyway. Still, seem to keep up with all the goodies that make a bike nice to ride while maintaining a reasonable budget at the same time. There is rarely instant gratification or impulse shopping with this strategy as it often takes months of perusing the sales before I make a purchase. I figure I'll be riding it for years anyway, so it doesn't matter if it is a year old when I buy it from new old stock some place is clearing out.

But yeah, I believe you are right. AB's points regarding spec close the gap, but it feels to me like there is more than those differences would account for.

Edited by Ridenfool

I agree with the comments above on buying used or finding something on sale.  I'm a big proponent of finding something that's a good deal then spending money on targeted upgrades.  You may not get the brand, color, etc. that you want but if look around you can find bikes that are substantially discounted.  Unfortunately in the couple of years since PricePoint shut down options for nice builds that are 40-50% discounted have all but dried up.

My issue is I want a build that fox front, rear and dropper, with any eagle drivetrain. 

Its surprisingly tough to find those. You’ll find eagle, with a fox rear but a pike. Not interested. Fox front and rear fox and slx drivetrain. Not for me. Fox front with RockShox delux rear and e thirteen/eagle combo out back. Not happening here. Fox front, rear and EAGLE, finally, with a reverb dropper...nope. 

I echo buying used though. It just takes patience and the willingness to travel a few hours. I scooped my big bike up last April for a HUGE discount in brand new condition. The guy shared all his Strava rides with me which were xc rides and amounted to less than 30 miles, but it’s carbon, GX Eagle top to bottom with fox front and rear and a transfer dropper. Couldn’t find that for 3.2k in the new market even with those direct to consumer bikes.  

X2 on buying used and also looking at new bikes on closeout. Places like jenson, steep & cheap (backcountry) and cambriabike all buy leftover stock from manufacturers at highly discounted prices. I was this >< close to buying a leftover bike from cambria for 60% off but changed my mind and went another direction. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bestbike85 said:

Not interested. Fox front and rear fox and slx drivetrain. Not for me. Fox front with RockShox delux rear and e thirteen/eagle combo out back. Not happening here. Fox front, rear and EAGLE, finally, with a reverb dropper...nope. 

Im a sram guy but there's no way id run that 12spd long cage eagle derailleur here in rock city. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 4fun said:

Maybe just last 3 months, just looking in the3k to 4K range you get NX components and some have Suntour forks at these prices. That being said the YT’s offer an amazing spec! My only hesitation is the pressfit bottom bracket!

I may have been lucky, but 2 of my recent bikes have had pressfits and I have never had a single problem with them. Suntour is inexcusable at that price though.

It's normal for prices to be quietly (if possible) pushed up over time, especially if you're dealing with a growing premium-type marketplace.

The thinking is that they've created a customer, now let's see how far we can push this customer's spending.

Shoot, even Walmart does it, but their increases tend to be less noticable because of the pricepoint range they work in, and their percentage increase may be a little less than in other markets.

And this takes place in most if not all manufacturing industries... And even service industries.

And so goes the cost of living.

On buying used...

Yes... Yes... Yes...

But understand...

The older your used purchase is... The more people will frown upon you and say all sorts of evil things against you.

But stay strong... And keep riding on.

As in... CannondAloha 'aina.

Edited by RidingAgain

2 hours ago, csmceuen said:

Suntour is inexcusable at that price though.

Suntour's Aion and Auron are quite well priced and well reviewed.  We bought the ol' lady's ill-fated GG Trail Pistol frame bundled with an Auron, and the thing seemed like a quality fork. I really liked their through axle set-up as well. The fork certainly wasn't the reason the bike got boxed up and send back to GG on their dime.

But perhaps your point is that if they are coming with a well-priced fork, the overall price should be lower? I'd really have to dig into to the specs and compare apples to apples. Ain't nobody got time for that unless I'm looking to buy...which is no time soon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barry said:

But perhaps your point is that if they are coming with a well-priced fork, the overall price should be lower?

Exactly. I have heard fine things about their upper end models, but they still price at half of what should be speced at that price. IMO.