IGNORED

Totally NBR But FR (food related) for you keto people

I know a lot of you are eating keto or at least trying to be low carb.

Last night we went to NXNW and I had the Cobb salad, with sirloin on top.

THAT, children, is how it is done. Washed it down with a couple glasses of wine. Low carb dinner.

To the people at the R&I the other night that thought it was too hard to go low carb and still have energy to ride, I'll be doing a few hours or riding today on some very steep trails, should be perfectly fine.

Try that salad.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AustinBike said:

To the people at the R&I the other night that thought it was too hard to go low carb and still have energy to ride...

I did the Dragon Slayer while being on Keto this past year.  Takes quite a bit of "energy" to finish that ride...

-CJB

Yeah, the biggest thing that I found is that protein gives you a ton of sustained energy, but if you are going to try to go protein/fat only you REALLY need to stay ahead of the curve and eat before you are hungry. I found out in the EB that if you wait until you are hungry you're F'ed because it takes longer to turn protein/fat into energy. Carbs convert quickly.

• 2 years later...

Keto Meals in Austin:

Tumble 22: Cobb Salad

Halal Bros: and of their meats over salad.  I dig the chicken and beef but the lamb is prolly better for fat/protein

Jason's Deli : Club Salad with a protein

SouthSide Market: Club Salad with Brisket or Sausage

Pok-e-Joe's : Chef's Salad with Pork Ribs 

Ramen Tatsu ya: Mi So Hot with no nudes and add some veg.    Interested in trying with Pasta Zero

DiMassi Mediterranean Buffet: self control is key in avoiding the pita and rice

Freebird Burritos: Keto bowl with cauliflower rice 

Chipotle: Lifestyle bowl

P Terry, In and Out: Lettuce Wrapped burgers

Hopdoddys: Burger Bowl 

Pluckers: hot wings or a dry rub wings

Olive Garden: Chicken Alfredo over Broccoli - want to try, saw on tik tok  

Chick-a -filet: Breakfast Scramble without potatoes - their salads are kinda sad

First Watch: omelettes with side greens 

Wendy's: Breakfast Baconator Lettuce Wrap  

D'lites: still want to go, softserve keto 

And now there is a whole Keto Restaurant.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jessica said:

Keto Meals in Austin:

Tumble 22: Cobb Salad

Halal Bros: and of their meats over salad.  I dig the chicken and beef but the lamb is prolly better for fat/protein

Jason's Deli : Club Salad with a protein

SouthSide Market: Club Salad with Brisket or Sausage

Pok-e-Joe's : Chef's Salad with Pork Ribs 

Ramen Tatsu ya: Mi So Hot with no nudes and add some veg.    Interested in trying with Pasta Zero

DiMassi Mediterranean Buffet: self control is key in avoiding the pita and rice

Freebird Burritos: Keto bowl with cauliflower rice 

Chipotle: Lifestyle bowl

P Terry, In and Out: Lettuce Wrapped burgers

Hopdoddys: Burger Bowl 

Pluckers: hot wings or a dry rub wings

Olive Garden: Chicken Alfredo over Broccoli - want to try, saw on tik tok  

Chick-a -filet: Breakfast Scramble without potatoes - their salads are kinda sad

First Watch: omelettes with side greens 

Wendy's: Breakfast Baconator Lettuce Wrap  

D'lites: still want to go, softserve keto 

And now there is a whole Keto Restaurant.  

At Pluckers, I get the Bleu Cheese Chicken Cobb minus the tortilla strips. I'm not a Keto person, but I'm thinking it might qualify, unless the dressing knocks it out. It's quite good with grilled chunks of chicken, lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes, bacon, sliced avocado, bleu cheese chunks, and topped off with bleu cheese dressing.   

On 4/27/2019 at 8:02 AM, AustinBike said:

Last night we went to NXNW and I had the Cobb salad, with sirloin on top.

THAT, children, is how it is done. Washed it down with a couple glasses of wine. Low carb dinner.

To the people at the R&I the other night that thought it was too hard to go low carb and still have energy to ride, I'll be doing a few hours or riding today on some very steep trails, should be perfectly fine.

Try that salad.

Now you're just making me miss the NXNW on Slaughter that closed down.  That was a great ride to beer/food destination.  Could ride trail from my house to there.

The hardest part of Keto'n for me has been no real beer to drink, and drinking Corona Premium, Ranchwater or Vodka gets old. Going on 3 months now Ive lost 6lbs but I also work outside in this heat. The biggest thing I've noticed from no sugar is gut health and energy levels are way up.  I'll bring something carb on a long weekend in case of a bonk but so far haven't really needed it. If I was back to racing and training with long base miles it prolly wouldn't work to well, but for over 50 riders looking to drop some lbs, it's working for me and I like eating meat.

15 minutes ago, Bart said:

The hardest part of Keto'n for me has been no real beer to drink, and drinking Corona Premium, Ranchwater or Vodka gets old. Going on 3 months now Ive lost 6lbs but I also work outside in this heat. The biggest thing I've noticed from no sugar is gut health and energy levels are way up.  I'll bring something carb on a long weekend in case of a bonk but so far haven't really needed it. If I was back to racing and training with long base miles it prolly wouldn't work to well, but for over 50 riders looking to drop some lbs, it's working for me and I like eating meat.

My observations after several years of this are:

1. Once you get yourself stabilized you can bring *some* carbs back into your life. I can have beer but I have to be really strict about food on the same day.

2. Learn to love red wine. Lower carbs and has good stuff for your system.

3. Up the magnesium supplements. When you cut carbs out you don't crap as much, as often. Many days the workers never show up at the factory so you need to stay on top of that.

4. Energy for riding can still come from carbs because you are burning them as you go. If you choose to use fat/protein for rides you need to get ahead of the curve because they take so much longer to be converted into energy. I found out the hard way on the Enchilada Buffet. About 25 miles into the ride, I started to fade and reached for my protein/fat supplies. 5 miles later I was hitting the emergency carbs, if I hadn't I would have been out.

5. Once you get to your weight, you can get back toward normal, but you never get back to the "old days." I dropped from a high of 210 down to 150-160 and stayed there for several years. But keeping a strict regimen became a problem. I fell below 150 and for the past couple weeks I have been working to increase my weight. Believe it or not, it is a lot harder to do if you are eating healthy food. 

6. Try to switch eating times. I moved from 3 meals a day to 2, breakfast ~10AM and dinner ~4PM. This gives you a long fast every night and that is incredibly healthy for you not only for weight, but also for a ton of other health vectors.

7. Get yourself a glucose meter and test your blood sugar every morning when you get up. It is a good exercise and it helps keep you honest. You are really careful about what you eat if you have a number staring you in the face in the morning. You can begin to see the connection between food and blood sugar, it's not the insulin number (that is the ultimate determinant) but it is an OK proxy. They are ~$35 at Walmart, a good investment.

• Like 1

Wait, so which is it?  Do you eat a salad and then go riding for hours the next day on just that?

Or do you "4. Energy for riding can still come from carbs because you are burning them as you go"

In my experience I need carbs/glycogen to exercise at a heart rate greater than ~140bpm or it's bonk city after 45 minutes.  My preferred ride is 2-3 hours of constantly bouncing off max heart rate...

On 4/28/2019 at 12:12 AM, CBaron said:

I did the Dragon Slayer while being on Keto this past year.  Takes quite a bit of "energy" to finish that ride...

-CJB

I'm guessing you're super fit compared to most people and were cruising at a low heart rate for this.  What were you eating during the ride?

• Like 1

I'm no doctor but let me tell you how this is supposed to work (as I understand it.)

Carbs are easy energy. When your body takes in carbs, protein and fat (the only 3 things you eat), it naturally burns the carbs first. Excess carbs basically get stored in your body as fat. (It is massively important to know that dietary fat =\= to body fat. If you eat less fat you do not lose body fat.

The body is lazy and always goes after carbs first because it has been trained to do the easy thing first. When you starve your body of carbs, over time it learns that it has to go to the fat for energy. It does not give the quick hit that carbs do, but eventually your body starts burning fat and protein to get energy. This is how the whole keto thing works, you are retraining your body to default to fat and protein for energy. The only way to train it and then continue to reinforce it is to stay low on the carbs.

Once you get to the level you want to be at, you can reintroduce carbs, but in small quantities. Have a beer. Have a sandwich. Just don't have a beer and a sandwich. We got down to 25 carbs a day, weight came off and now, based on where we are, I eat 50-100 grams of carbs a day, the wife is more like 30-50. The reason I do more is that I burn >3000 calories a day from activities so I can throw a few more carbs in the mix and they get eaten up from all of the activity.

I have Cliff bars on rides because I am actually trying to gain weight. I don't generally have a lot of carbs and I try to put them in before or just after a ride. Carbs on a ride are a quick burst of energy. Trying to get energy out of macadamia nuts, bacon and cheese on a ride can be done, but you need to eat WAY ahead of the need for the energy.

But the key is once you have gotten your body into a fat-burning machine, you can't go back to the old way. This is the BIG change that people don't understand. Think of it like drinking. You might drink a lot, maybe too much and then one day you say "I gotta kick this stuff, it's killing me." If you go cold turkey and are in AA they tell you not to ever have even a single drink because you will fall off the wagon and be right back where you were before. If you can manage to change your life by going extreme low carb (I am not keto, just low carb, and that is a whole other discussion for another day) then once you get to where you want to be you can't click back to the old world. You need to live in a world where you keep an eye on what you eat.

I have a regular urban route I do every week or two that stops by Krispy Kreme. But I burn more calories on that ride than there are in those donuts. I would never go to Krispy Kreme in a car, on a day that I am not exercising. 

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

In my experience I need carbs/glycogen to exercise at a heart rate greater than ~140bpm or it's bonk city after 45 minutes.  My preferred ride is 2-3 hours of constantly bouncing off max heart rate...

Ultimately fats (and fructose) get broken down in the liver and glucose gets absorbed directly in the gut.  Both have their rate limits.  This is why the good sports drinks blend 4% of one and 4% of the other to maximize how many calories you can take per 1hr.  You can train your body to improve fat breakdown but you're ultimately going to be limited at that rate.  There are papers written that show this is effective and works well especially for endurance racing when you are burnin 600-800 calories an hour but only taking in 250-350.  

If you're training and you want to maximize muscle genesis then don't limit yourself and carb up.  If you're just riding for fun then do what works for you.  If you train for long rides/races then you can do endurance rides (i.e. below tempo) while fasting but that's in addition to any quality/HIT rides.

Dylan Johnson has a YouTube video that talks about this and he quotes from physiology journals and such.  I think it was also him and maybe in the same video that he talks about Emily Batty's performance drop possibly due to diet.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I'm no doctor but let me tell you how this is supposed to work (as I understand it.)....

... on a day that I am not exercising. 

AB and I approach things from a slightly different vantage point (I'm trying to stay in ketosis and use this eating style for fueling purposes while riding), but our conclusions and findings are pretty similar.  I agree with most all of what he said.  I've been doing the koto-thing for nearly 4 yrs now.  Its fully a lifestyle way of eating for me, I simply don't know any different.  

All that said, I've discovered some very remarkable things with it on the bike.  When I'm dialed-in my eating, I can wake up in the morning and go on a 4+ hr group road ride (50-60 mi) and a solid pace and eat NOTHING.  Note- this also includes the fact that my last meal was 8pm the night before.  I can't recall my exact eating pattern for my last Dragon Slayer.  But I know I did 80 mi, 8(?)hrs and placed 4th.  If memory is correct, I ate 2-3 gels and a Honey Stinger waffle during that time.  And I'm not advocating for anyone to try and pull off the above.  I'm just offering it up as a real-life 1st hand experience into the keto eating world (of cycling).  It took me MUCH effort, discipline and experimentation to figure it all out.  (I also have some MAJOR crash and burn stories of anyone was interest also)

7 hours ago, Kyle said:

I'm guessing you're super fit compared to most people and were cruising at a low heart rate for this.  What were you eating during the ride?

Yes, I was pretty fit.  But I've always run a higher heart rate.  I'm regularly in the 160-180's so I'm not operating in 'lower zonal efforts'.  I credit it to a lot of trial and error to figure out how to dial in what works for me.  It prolly took me a year +/- to work it all out.

Later,
CJB

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CBaron said:

I'm regularly in the 160-180's so I'm not operating in 'lower zonal efforts'.

Yeah, you and I are in totally different camps from a fitness and riding perspective.

This is yesterday's greenbelt ride for me, max heart rate of 138:

1881432390_ScreenShot2021-06-26at6_17_05AM.thumb.jpg.8c8299e3400c1ba02b259daddbded52b.jpg

And the Strava view:

1521980313_ScreenShot2021-06-26at6_19_36AM.thumb.jpg.8df7ab95dc3742cbe01602e872a9fc98.jpg

I'd love to see what your energy output is for a typical ride. I am guessing that you are driving far more than 90w average based on the few times that I have ridden with you.

My strategy works for me because I am a casual rider at a social pace. To maintain your momentum I can see that significantly more attention to nutrition is probably a big part of all of this.

Edited by AustinBike

Last summer I did a few keto endurance rides- seems that I am somewhere between y'all.  Hard rides i'm in the 150 BPM range, easy spins in the 130's.  The hotter it is, the less I like to eat.  Before a good endurance ride I like to indulge in carbs and ride them off.  It is not unusual for me to eat a carby breakfast and consume 2 gels on  Georgetown Loop. I don't eat the carbs as a performance thing, it is my inner chubby girl's reward for being keto the rest of the week.  Some longer gravel rides I have had very few gels.  Some days I wake up with dead legs, but that really just affects my motivation to ride, not my actual performance.   This happened less after started paying attention to rest days, and a Zwift Trainer Program.  

I tried to go back to a balanced diet and  I am really unhappy with the weight gain.  We decided to return to keto, the 10-15 lbs lower weight that I can maintain keto with has a huge ROI on my enjoyment of biking.  

I am faster, can make more tech climbs and am more agile.  It is simply not as much fun and a lot more work to bike slower.  The weight loss seems to offset my loss of top end that I have when I eat carbs.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I had a culinary keto breakthrough yesterday in the kitchen.  Unofficially, I call it real mouth feel keto lasagna.  It always annoyed me that people thought mushroom,  almond flour and zucchini were reasonable pasta replacements.  Nope thanks.  

Unclear ADHD story telling, I developed a lasagna noodle that is tots keto but tastes and has the mouthfeel of grain based lasagna noodles.  Other pasta replacements, such as the mushroom asian noodle replacement, almond flour pasta or zucchini noodles were gross for different reasons.  Zucchini only worked with beef stew recipes (not tomato beef sauce)  from a taste and mouthfeel perspective, almond was not really keto nor as low cal as traditional pasta.  The japanese mushroom noodles are ok but leave you super bloated and aren't quite right from the mouth feel perspective. 

This stuff absorbs the flavors of the ricotta, sauce and a tasty spinach layer, and feels like real fresh pasta.  

• Like 1

@jessica ... nice, would be interested in the lasagna recipe. We have one that is zucchini bases we are pretty happy with but options are good.

Fwiw, I speculate I'm somewhere on scale between John & Cody ... I'd never say I'm close to Cody's level (never have been) but I've done many fasting mtb rides between '18 and today and have nil problems. I don't usually carry snacks for myself at all anymore. I've had buff trail 25m rides with 10mph avg (fast for me!), 6 hour rides in the Western NC mountains, all kinds of stuff in between. Been debating trying some racing just to see where I am these days (and to socialize more).

I'll admit I wouldn't mind losing a few more # but am very stable where i'm at so not highly motivated for that. I also admit that post ride I'm not real steuct about off-keto crap... cider, snack, whatever ... but I try to avoid any habit of crap because I feel it's the regular/chronic intake that causes the real harm.