IGNORED

For fruks sake, give me at least a nod

The Tip

Here comes a rider heading towards me on the trail. We pass, I give the nod and I say, "how's it going?" The other rider pretends I don't even exist! Seriously? Hey bud, I KNOW you see me. It's just down right creepy. It doesn't matter if they have ear buds in or not. You don't have to say anything. Just nod your friggin head or something. Jeez. And this is on SATN trails where you might pass two riders all day on a ride. And that's on a busy day. So it's not like you're nodding your head continually. It's just weird to pass and not do anything.

No wonder we mountain bikers get a bad reputation sometimes. If you can't even acknowledge a fellow biker I shudder to think how you react to a walker.

• Like 7

I've worked with some people for years (probably over 10) that will not even acknowledge you in the hallway.  Some just look down, but some look at you and don't say a thing when you say hi.  Now it's a game with me...I'll almost be disappointed if they actually say hi or nod...it's like a streak I want to keep going.  BTW, I don't say "how's it going" as a greeting unless I want to find out how it is going.  I just say hi.

• Like 1

Way back in the early '90s, when I had just started gong up to Orlando on frequent buying trips, I was staying with a friend in his condo for a few days. On one of those days as we took the elevator to his floor someone got on. This person got off on the floor we did, walked in front of us, and turned to the door right opposite my friend's door, unlocked it and went in. When I got inside with my friend I asked him if he didn't know that guy and he said "Yeh, that's (whatever his name was)." I then asked if he didn't like him or something, as neither said hello. My friend just said "No, we just don't do that."

Strange for someone coming from the islands. And even here at the apartment complex I live at, it's like you have to get up in people's faces with a friendly "Hi" for them to acknowledge you.

Yet... When my wife and I first came to Austin, we were in an HEB parking lot looking at a new car that was a really nice color. The owner walked up and long story short, when she heard we had just moved to Austin she said if we don't have anywhere to go for Thanksgiving that we'd be welcome at her home. This was back in '07... I think things have changed a little since then.

Edited by RidingAgain

I always thought it was the roadies that refused to acknowledge each other. They at least gave me weird looks when I was drafting them on 360 riding my mountain bike.

I always say hi, especially if it seems like they're "serious". If you're fully kitted out with earbuds attempting a KOM at Walnut, I'm gonna break your focus. 😉

This is Texas y'all. 🤠

The correct nomenclature is "Howdy" with a smile. :classic_biggrin:

Most importantly, do it for you, not for them. If it makes you feel good you've succeeded.

This reminds me of a time when I had a friend and his daughters in the car and we were headed to my mom's house out in the country. I'd wave at every car I met, as I always had.

On the way out we met a car we had met before and I waved, but this time they didn't respond. One of the girls asked why.

I told her it was because this is a one wave street.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

This is Texas y'all. 🤠

The correct nomenclature is "Howdy" with a smile. :classic_biggrin:

Most importantly, do it for you, not for them. If it makes you feel good you've succeeded.

This reminds me of a time when I had a friend and his daughters in the car and we were headed to my mom's house out in the country. I'd wave at every car I met, as I always had.

On the way out we met a car we had met before and I waved, but this time they didn't respond. One of the girls asked why.

I told her it was because this is a one wave street.

You almost lost me. Glad I hung on 'til the end.

• Haha 1

I live in a small town and wave to every passer by in my car, walking on the street, and dropping my kids off at school...and yes, when I pass people on a bike too. 

BUT, sometimes I miss it. Not everyone is an extravert that can instantly engage in friendly banter. Like, a lot of times, I'll be ready for the nod, then the other person throws out a "What's up man", and I blow it. I can maybe get out some incoherent words, or just go on with the nod as planned, but sometimes I just freeze and pass by. Put me on a bike where that interaction is quicker and some headphones playing a podcast that I'm zoned out on, and it's easy to just not find words. 

On the other hand, maybe the rider Tip passed was just an asshole. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, taco_junkie said:

+1 for the howdy. I try to remember to say something informative too like 2 back or just me if I remember. My last bad interaction was the lady that just shouted out of my way and ran me off the trail in Bauerle. I hope she got the PR.

She was clearly doing it wrong.  She's supposed to yell 'STTRRAAAVVVAAAAA'.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, notyal said:

BUT, sometimes I miss it. Not everyone is an extravert that can instantly engage in friendly banter. Like, a lot of times, I'll be ready for the nod, then the other person throws out a "What's up man", and I blow it. I can maybe get out some incoherent words, or just go on with the nod as planned, but sometimes I just freeze and pass by. Put me on a bike where that interaction is quicker and some headphones playing a podcast that I'm zoned out on, and it's easy to just not find words. 

LOL I get this. I've been totally stumped before and instead of saying "Howdy" or "What's up" I somehow mangled 2 different phrases together. Then you ride away wondering if the other guy picked up on the fact that you just yelled a friendly "Hung Ghalaeb Larfulg" at him.

My best though, was after a successful 20K PR attempt one afternoon on the Veloway. I was enjoying my endorphin rush in the shade by the entrance and the only other rider I'd seen that day came by on a lap. It was one of those afternoons in the upper 90s that puts my brain in a low power standby state. For reasons that still haunt me to this day I yelled my best Flavor Flav "YEEAAAAH BOOOYEEE" at him as he went past. I rightfully received a weird look and quickly rode home full of shame. I drink to forget this and other things.

• Haha 7

I've always heard that the correct trail etiquette is for the guy going downhill to stop and yield for the person riding uphill (on narrow trails).  I have heard this called the "Colorado Rule" - where they have mountains instead of just hills.  Makes sense since the guy going uphill will have a lot harder time getting re-started than the guy going downhill.  My question is how are young riders going to learrn this rule, and how will you know if the rider barreling down Mt. lakeway is going to stop/yeild or not?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Yosmithy said:

I think it's awesome how everyone that rides past me always shows so much concern for me.

"Whoa, dude! are you alright?, do you want me to call 911? Do you have and emergency contact I can call? Have you seen a doctor lately?"

I get that too. Usually I'll just ask for help folding my lung up and getting it back inside. I've started carrying nitrile gloves for those folks who offer a hand and don't simply speed away. :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Manster said:

I've always heard that the correct trail etiquette is for the guy going downhill to stop and yield for the person riding uphill (on narrow trails). 

I think that is a bit dated and depends on the situation. In some places, asking a downhill-headed rider to stop would be dangerous.

Old and dated appears to be right. Now days right of way appears to go to whoever yells "STRAVAAAAAA" first.

Realistically, someone bombing a downhill may have limited choices. Someone grinding up a hill at the limit of their climbing ability definitely has limited choices. So maybe that 'other' IMBA rule (https://www.imba.com/ride/imba-rules-of-the-trail ) should be used. You know, that silly rule about "ride in control".

But how did we segway from a polite nod or a wave to trail right of way???

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Manster said:

I've always heard that the correct trail etiquette is for the guy going downhill to stop and yield for the person riding uphill (on narrow trails).  I have heard this called the "Colorado Rule" - where they have mountains instead of just hills.  Makes sense since the guy going uphill will have a lot harder time getting re-started than the guy going downhill.  My question is how are young riders going to learrn this rule, and how will you know if the rider barreling down Mt. lakeway is going to stop/yeild or not?

That happened to me last night actually. I was on the uphill. I'm familiar with the rule but I was huffing and puffing so bad I was happy to stop. He said "No, no no, go ahead". I was mildly angry at missing an opportunity to rest but admitted he was doing it right and begrudgingly went on my way.

On a side note, I said "just me" to everyone I passed last night (about 12?) and only 3-4 gave me a similar response as to how many were in their group and only 2 said something friendly like "enjoy the ride" etc. On dirt bikes 95% of riders on 2 way trails would hold up fingers showing number of people in your group. I guess old habits die hard. 

I think it's awesome how everyone that rides past me always shows so much concern for me.
"Whoa, dude! are you alright?, do you want me to call 911? Do you have and emergency contact I can call? Have you seen a doctor lately?"
I like riding with you.. cuz if you code blue on the trail I scored a sweet new bike

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

I like riding with you.. cuz if you code blue on the trail I scored a sweet new bike

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

What I didn't mention the other day, was that the tracking beacon my wife keeps on me is actually attached to my bike, not me.

She found the receipt  for that Yeti

Edited by Yosmithy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

This is Texas y'all. 🤠

I think that this is the crux of it right there. For Texans it's just natural to say, "howdy." In other "cultures" it shows weakness or something. I don't know. You walk down the streets of New York City and nobody is going to look or speak to you. But even big city Austin people will occasionally say something. At least the Texans will! 

13 minutes ago, The Tip said:

I think that this is the crux of it right there. For Texans it's just natural to say, "howdy." In other "cultures" it shows weakness or something. I don't know. You walk down the streets of New York City and nobody is going to look or speak to you. But even big city Austin people will occasionally say something. At least the Texans will! 

Texans don't live in Austin anymore. Even most Austinites don't live in Austin anymore.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1