IGNORED

For fruks sake, give me at least a nod

The Tip

Yup.  The hikers and dog walkers - who all presumably hate us - are more polite and engaging than my fellow mountain bikers.

In somewhat-related news - I don't see how one MTB's with earbuds in.  I tried it at Slaughter Creek one deserted afternoon and took them out right after I encountered some chunk - about half a mile in.  I felt disconnected, not being able to hear my tires interact with the ground.  It was very unnerving.  OTOH, on my road bike on the paved SWCT (starts at Govalle Park) I have no issues.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, St.Bernardo said:

Were you the Dude rockin' the Bluetooth Speaker?

I was walking my new rescue dog out at Walnut Saturday and saw a guy with a speaker on his bike. I lol'd. I discovered that I'm nicer to hikers and dogs when I'm riding than MTB riders were to me as a hiker.

People need to get over themselves.

• Like 2

Apologies to the dude riding E-W on 1/4 notch today.  My first time on the trails in a while, and even longer since I rode at Brushy.  I had not seen a soul on the trails in 1hr 15 minutes and wasn't feeling great...totally zoned out when we both yielded.  Then you said "I'm the last one" and then I said "have a good one" instead of "me too".  Yeah, I think I won't be thinking such hard thoughts when I don't get a response now.  Maybe people are just zoned out in their own world, either suffering or having a blast.

Also, on my way E-W, I can't remember what that pile of rocks we go over is called.  The big rock was moved and all the little rocks were everywhere. I had to stop right at the top b/c that threw me off.   I took a picture (on my phone) and didn't know how to put it back together.  I also noticed the alternate line (I thought it had been deemed authorized to hopefully stop the messing with the rocks) was blocked.  On my way back W-E it was back together as it should be.  Had to had been the same person I ran into before that fixed it. Thanks!

But about the alternate line, should it stay blocked?

• Like 1

One time I was pulling my daughter on the trail a bike at Dana Peak and I kept saying "Howdy!" to people we passed. We had the following conversation

her: Why do you keep saying that?

me: Saying what? Howdy?

her: Yeah. It's weird! 

Apparently I was embarrassing her? I just made more of a point to say it excessively after that, hah! 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, The Tip said:

😁 We parents are not being sadistic when we do this. At least that's what I tell myself! We are just trying to desensitize our kids to their unwarranted embarrassments. (Anyone buying that explanation?)

I see it as knocking the uppity off them, making them better adults.

• Like 4

lots of times when people are exercising they are in the zone or at the edge of their ability to talk. I doubt the people are that unfriendly, just focused on navigating the trail.

Hikers arent exercising so they can say just say hi.

I usually tell hikers, have a great hike, and they usually say you too and then realize that Im not hiking so try to correct themselves.