IGNORED

Is it my imagination, or is the...

...Single-pivot suspension design making a comeback?

Was just checking out Yeti's new offerings and noticed that all their bikes seem to be single-pivot (albeit pretty sophisticated stuff) designs. Which I found interesting, and then did some research on what bikes are using single-pivot designs. Which then led to looking at suspension design on a whole... Which is really what this thread is about.

Been some time since I took a look at suspension design, so I thought I'd bring it up...

Here's a article on suspension design...

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/the-ultimate-guide-to-mountain-bike-rear-suspension-systems/

Edited by RidingAgain

Ironically, Yeti has carried a single pivot design in their lineup until very recently. They continued to make the 575 and ASR after developing Switch Infinity. Not a single single pivot today, tho.

The Specialized dropped their signature FSR suspension in favor of a single pivot on the Epic recently. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anita Handle said:

Switch Infinity isn't a single pivot. The main pivot moves.

It certainly is more than your traditional single-pivot, but I saw an article where I think it was being called a single-pivot. I'll see if I can find it.

Does the pivot move on a bearing, or is it on suspension?

I had a full on single pivot Santa Cruz Superlight because I couldn't afford what all the cool kids were riding (Santa Cruz Blur 2006) and it was a good bike except for when you got into the gnar and started braking.  Did not handle that well at all.  Upgrading to a Special Ed FSR four bar was a big deal in that I could brake while hitting techy descents. A good rider wouldn't brake in those situations but I lack(ed) those skills. Linkage single pivots have fixed this for the most part, those Kona Process bikes rip! 

20 hours ago, rockshins said:

I had a full on single pivot Santa Cruz Superlight because I couldn't afford what all the cool kids were riding (Santa Cruz Blur 2006) and it was a good bike except for when you got into the gnar and started braking.  Did not handle that well at all.  Upgrading to a Special Ed FSR four bar was a big deal in that I could brake while hitting techy descents. A good rider wouldn't brake in those situations but I lack(ed) those skills. Linkage single pivots have fixed this for the most part, those Kona Process bikes rip! 

Had 2 superlights in the beginning, 26 & 29. Both were waggly AF in the rear to the point I first thought the axle wasnt tight or tire was low. The APP (butcher) was a bit stiffer but not as stiff as the vpp bikes i had. However, the early VPP midstroke wallow was just as bad or worse than any skittish single pivot issues i dealt with.  

• Like 1

Single pivot Yeti 575. This bike was a game changer for me when I first moved here.
IMG_0083.thumb.JPG.aa6ef80801570823db568005aefec676.JPG

I had that same 575 frame. It was my first real Mtb and I got it off eBay from some lady in Seattle. I loved that frame until it cracked right at that cool machined knuckle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 8:02 AM, ATXZJ said:

Had 2 superlights in the beginning, 26 & 29. Both were waggly AF in the rear to the point I first thought the axle wasnt tight or tire was low. The APP (butcher) was a bit stiffer but not as stiff as the vpp bikes i had. However, the early VPP midstroke wallow was just as bad or worse than any skittish single pivot issues i dealt with.  

I forgot they did a 2-9, yeah the Superlight was a flexy bike I just didn't know any better.  Had huge tire marks on the chain and seatstays.

• Like 1