IGNORED

Snake!

I almost always see these snakes while crossing the dam at Brushy Creek when riding at night.  This is one of the snakes I saw 2 nights ago. 

They are usually on the rock which puts them at waist height when I pass them.  I now stay on the opposite end of the wall after having a close encounter with a larger version of this snake.

Any idea kind of snake this is? 

20190501_205440.jpg

20190501_205507.jpg

• Like 1

Pace Bend:  green snake on a bush close to that rocky tricky g-out that always seems to get Houstonians to dismount (I know that doesn't narrow it down at PB).

BCGB:  Epic and vicious, nature at its most fierce a garter (yellow and orange striped) fighting a coral snake.  There were multiple strikes.  I watched for 10 minutes, didn't have a camera (before smart phones) but some girl stopped and took video.   Another girl stopped to watch it with me.  I could never find the girl with the camera even after she'd said she would share the video.

Muleshoe:  rattlesnake almost on the exit of the trail back to the trailhead.  It was crossing the trail.  Seemed at lest 5ft long.  I sat there and wondered what it was until I saw the black and white rings and the rattle.

Rocky Hill:  TONS of rat snakes.  The light brown ones with the pattern on them.

My house:  Texas rat snake, got tangled into netting, we captured it and took it to the wildlife rescue, we wanted it back but they don't do that.  We had rats living under the deck  so that's probably why it was hanging out.  I think some other snakes have taken care of the rats b/c I haven't seen any in a long time.  We've also seen coral snakes.  I had to kill one because it was heading to the neighbors front yard and they had a toddler at the time that played on the front yard.  I felt horrible doing that.  I've seen dead corals on the road close to my house, by the mailbox and around the neighborhood.  I'm not sure if it's from people putting down pesticide or what.

Brushy:  rat snake on Picnic

Thumper:  green snake

Road Ride:  Cow Patty Classic, we saw 5-6 rattlesnakes on the road, some had been run over, some were just sunning themselves I guess.

Swimming at Lake Travis:  we saw a water snake right next to where we were.  Our colleague who is well versed in flora and fauna told us it was not a poisonous snake (had round pupils).  We believed him 🙂

I fully assume that on any trail ride, there may be 5-6 snakes that see me but I don't see them.

Edited by AntonioGG
grammar, added water snake.
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, JRIDER said:

I almost always see these snakes while crossing the dam at Brushy Creek when riding at night.  This is one of the snakes I saw 2 nights ago. 

They are usually on the rock which puts them at waist height when I pass them.  I now stay on the opposite end of the wall after having a close encounter with a larger version of this snake.

Any idea kind of snake this is? 

That's where I've seen them too. The Snake group ID'd it as a "Diamondback Water Snake" NV

image.png.43613cd19531750e3e16622e117100eb.png

In eleven years of riding I've seen 2 coral snakes on the GB, ran over a rattler on the southie trails, 5 or 6 rat snakes, and just a week ago i stopped under the manchaca bridge to wizz and  looked down and one foot was almost on top of a hognose.  Also, a cotton mouth at the crossing by the chain  on the GB. 

7 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

Not my picture. 

This is what gets me, they camouflage so freaking well. Can you spot the snake? 

FB_IMG_1509893707075.jpg

Holy shit!  I was about to post that you're messing with us!  I even zoomed way in.  The first thing that caught my eye was the tail, then I saw thee rest of it.  These are like the ones I've seen at Rocky Hill Ranch.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Wow!  That's a copperhead?  I guess I've seen lots of copperheads at RHR then.

Very much a copperhead.  Best fall camo out there.  They are silent and still when I've seen them.  Nasty bite.  I really do viscerally hate them.  They are masters of hiding under rocks I want to move.  When walking down ledges (trail work), I have often seen them at the bottom of a step, laying in ambush in the leaves.  I know they are not there to ambush me, but I 100% know that they will strike if startled.  I don't want to startle them, but they fuggin hide so well, it just happens.  Sorry, rant over.  Pinche copperheads.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spicewookie said:

Very much a copperhead.  Best fall camo out there.  They are silent and still when I've seen them.  Nasty bite.  I really do viscerally hate them.  They are masters of hiding under rocks I want to move.  When walking down ledges (trail work), I have often seen them at the bottom of a step, laying in ambush in the leaves.  I know they are not there to ambush me, but I 100% know that they will strike if startled.  I don't want to startle them, but they fuggin hide so well, it just happens.  Sorry, rant over.  Pinche copperheads.

So, of all the snakes, Copperheads have been the ones that really know how to get your goat?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

So, of all the snakes, Copperheads have been the ones that really know how to get your goat?

Yes!  Copperheads can absolutely go copulate with their own damn selfs!  They certainly are limber enough to do so.  Pinche copperheads.  I relocate all copperheads to a pet cemetery.  You have me looking under my desk in my job trailer now.  And YES, there are many of those lil bastards at Rocky Hill.  The maple leaves are the exact pattern of a fuggin copperhead.  I only walk the trails at RHR with a running chainsaw.

Just now, spicewookie said:

Yes!  Copperheads can absolutely go copulate with their own damn selfs!  They certainly are limber enough to do so.  Pinche copperheads.  I relocate all copperheads to a pet cemetery.  You have me looking under my desk in my job trailer now.  And YES, there are many of those lil bastards at Rocky Hill.  The maple leaves are the exact pattern of a fuggin copperhead.  I only walk the trails at RHR with a running chainsaw.

You do realize how you could just keep them in an aquarium, converted to a terrarium?

2 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

BCGB:  Epic and vicious, nature at its most fierce a garter (yellow and orange striped) fighting a coral snake.  There were multiple strikes.  I watched for 10 minutes, didn't have a camera (before smart phones) but some girl stopped and took video.   Another girl stopped to watch it with me.  I could never find the girl with the camera even after she'd said she would share the video.

This wasnt Epic but this happened in my front yard Easter Weekend.  Garter Snake had the Lizard, Lizard holding on to Snakes head in its mouth. 

IMG_4787.JPG

• Like 3

30 years riding the State Park out here I've seen hundreds.  Western Diamondbacks, Coachwhips, Bullsnakes, Rat Snakes, 1 Hognose, lots of Diamondback Watersnakes, a few Water Moccasins.  Also Ornate Box Turtles, Horned Toads, Tarantulas.

2015-11-25 11.28.29.jpg

2016-06-10 17.36.53.jpg

2017-05-07 15.13.12.jpg

ratsnake.jpg

20141013_173520.jpg

• Like 3