IGNORED

Snake!

WAter moccasin at Warda. I was camping next to one of the ponds, Made me a bit jumpy at first. But since this was October 1998, was more worried about the flooding that night than anything else, since I could feel the water flowing under my tent. 

Rat snake at Walnut. 

I don't have time to list all of the different snakes or locations. I can cover it with - I don't think there is a single trail where I have never seen a snake.

They are everywhere. All the time. Just because you don't see them does not mean they are not there. There was a rattlesnake at Steiner Ranch right next to the trail. At least 5 people had ridden within 12 inches of it before someone missed on the climb and everybody stopped. I almost stepped on it when I went to put a foot down. Did I mention they are EVERYWHERE?

Most of them are harmless and even helpful. Please leave them alone.

Some of them are venomous. If they are leaving me alone I leave them alone. I will try to drive them away from the trail if they will leave. Only if they are aggressive do I kill them. I understand if a venomous snake is in your yard you will kill it. But most of our rider are in their home/yard.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This AM on the section at Brushy that leads down from the Skate Park lot toward the paved path and bridge.. was my 1st snake in awhile. It was crossing by the frisbee golf area.
I am pretty certain it was a Eastern Yellow Bellied racer.. solid with no blotches or stripes. It was gray. About 24 inches long.
At first I thought it was a cotton mouth but it was a lighter gray and not that dark or thick.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm no snake expert but I've had several self proclaimed experts swear up and down that Williamson Co. has no Cotton Mouths/Water Moccasins. This seems in direct opposition to several hunters/fisherman I've spoke with. On the other hand seems like every water snake in Texas is called a CM/WM.

• Like 1

I'm no snake expert but I've had several self proclaimed experts swear up and down that Williamson Co. has no Cotton Mouths/Water Moccasins. This seems in direct opposition to several hunters/fisherman I've spoke with. On the other hand seems like every water snake in Texas is called a CM/WM.
I've been told that same thing several times. By folks.i would.think they know what they are doing. Still kinda hard to believe

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I call B.S. on no Water Moccasins in Williamson County. A few months ago I was standing on Suburban ninja and noticed there was a Water Moccasin about 2 feet from my foot. It was a chilly morning and he was trying to warm up in the sun, so I was able to get a good look at it. It had a dark body, diamond-shaped head, and slits for pupils. Can you just imagine the Water Moccasin's from Travis County, " sorry boys we've got to turn around, we've reached the county line. There is a map floating around that shows Water Moccasin's in every county surrounding Williamson, but not in Williamson itself. Last time I checked snakes don't follow political boundaries.

Edited by HoneyBadger
  • Like 2

remembered how to post vids. first one was from GB. came around the corner and these two were wrapped around each other and had their heads about 2-3 feet in the air. after a bit they noticed us and slithered away

this was at RPR and my friend nearly hit this one. it struck his tire. my guess is it was thrown by the heat from the tire

46 minutes ago, throet said:

Brushy this morning! Dropped right out of the tree onto the bridge. 

IMAG2642.jpg

I really wish that would have happened when one of those happy couples was taking pictures on the bridge.  If there was a sequence with the snake slowly entering the frame from above and falling onto our smiling family it would have been a viral sensation!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

I really wish that would have happened when one of those happy couples was taking pictures on the bridge.  If there was a sequence with the snake slowly entering the frame from above and falling onto our smiling family it would have been a viral sensation!

I didn't even thing about that but interestingly there was a family in that very spot taking photos when I was first coming in across that bridge. 

1 minute ago, throet said:

I didn't even thing about that but interestingly there was a family in that very spot taking photos when I was first coming in across that bridge. 

That snake's buddies had probably dared him and his timing was just slightly off.  Nightmare fuel for some bride-to-be right there.

I have seen more copperheads than rattlers. In 20+ years of riding Austin I've seen 3 CH's and 2 rattlers (doubled that number yesterday) and more coral snakes than I have fingers. Might have seen 2 water moccasins but was not close enough to either to make a 100% ID; one was over 4 feet long and looked really nasty.